You cannot game tonight, it is Historical Night

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's see you are still going to be upset if you are allowed to play on an open table get setup play the first turn and then get kicked off because the right game for that night came along (the GW store not withstanding). I not saying that its right or wrong just an example of a store owner being wrong in the eyes of his customers no matter what course of action he takes.

1) You play on an empty table and have fun, table is full. Historical gamers come in later no tables available and one is Non-Historical = upset historical gamers who may not return

2) Empty table you can't play on because you dont' have the right game for that night = upset "fantasy/SciFi" gamer who may not return

3) Setup wrong game for that night, play one turn, get kicked off, must pick up your toys. Lose time setting up and taking down historical gamer loses time because you have to pick up. = upset "fantasy/Sci Fi gamer who may not return AND upset historical player because they had to wait for a table on "their" night and may not return.

Still don't see any wins for the store owner here.

I think my FLGS does it best. Each night is given over to one or two clubs who divide, if necessary, the tables up amongst themselves. If there is an empty table to play on just ask the group(s) if you can use their table. The store also uses a reservation system for the late nights and weekends and they can reserve a table for you if one is available.

One of our LGS (Rhubarb) posts a calender of events and for that reserves a set number of tables and even has little reserve cards on them. ::): And usually saves one or two tables for other games. Of course, those tables usually get covered with stuff by the other gamers.

Another LGS (Sci-Fi) are a different bag. They post a sign that the tables are reserved, leaving no spares for others. If you can find a fold up table open, it's yours; but the tables with terrain are verboten.

I'd rather have a few set aside for the non-league people. Specially when some stores have league or designated gaming just about every night.

We all talk about 'taking our business elsewhere' but for most of us there isn't an 'elsewhere' to which to take our business. I'd rather talk about it with the existing store than not have a store at all.

There is always an elsewhere, it's a matter of choice. Particularly in this day of the internet. I admit I've been fortunate enough to live in areas that have multiple game stores recently, and when I haven't, I've been willing to drive to go to a game store that will treat me nice. But that doesn't change my statements.

Some store owners (not just game stores, but in other limited niche markets as well) who are the only store in town begin to let that affect their business decisions. It's up to their customers to break them of that notion, preferably through friendly reminders, but using store boycotts or even opening up competing businesses if necessary. If a store continues to treat you bad, you're the only one who can change things.

Mmm, I will disagree with you a little bit on this. There is not always an elsewhere, especially for those that do not have an internet connection (yes they do exist, whether by choice, location, income or even no computer) or perhaps do not have a credit card or paypal account in order to utilize either online or phone in orders.

3) Setup wrong game for that night, play one turn, get kicked off, must pick up your toys. Lose time setting up and taking down historical gamer loses time because you have to pick up. = upset "fantasy/Sci Fi gamer who may not return AND upset historical player because they had to wait for a table on "their" night and may not return.

Still don't see any wins for the store owner here.

Agreed it's a no win for the store. But most gamers will understanding of this situation if they have to ask to use the table first, and are forewarned.

It all depends on how the store sets up it's policies and then enforces them. Examples of policies could be how your store deals with it - letting the club determine or other things like saying all tables become open gaming 1 or 2 hours past their reserved time if they remain unused.

People are more likely to get upset with unequal enforcement of policy, or no policies at all than they are consistent policies. While the OP doesn't explicitly say so, his post seems to indicate the way they were treated was out of the norm as well.

I personally think it's foolish for a store to leave tables unused when there is otherwise no reason to do so. For some stores this is easier to do than others - at the GW store, the terrain is pretty much set by the store, all the individual players can do is move a few individual pieces. So taking a few dozen minis back off the table isn't really an issue. Colpar West doesn't really have much choice of terrain, so again, not a big issue (i don't know what their policies are, thoug). At Attactix or Valhallas, I can see how some game setups could take a lot more time and cause issues.

I guess what it really comes down to is what policies work for the store's usual customer base, and then sticking to those policies.

I have trouble reading the title of this thread in a voice other than that of the Soup Nazi.

Tough break, though - although I can honestly say that I've never heard of a store being that restrictive. Was the owner trying to push a particular game that night?

@Sharky - I think you're on the right track, here; ask questions, get some more info. Sorry, Beo, but your original post - a title, subtitle and a smiley - are too vague for me. I have no idea what kind of suggestions to offer or position to take. Should I empathize because you were done an injustice, or did you miss a big sign announcing the store polices and reservations? Heck, was this even at a store? I've heard of this sort of thing at a club meeting in the commons area of a major university. I just can't tell from the OP.

Mmm, I will disagree with you a little bit on this. There is not always an elsewhere, especially for those that do not have an internet connection (yes they do exist, whether by choice, location, income or even no computer) or perhaps do not have a credit card or paypal account in order to utilize either online or phone in orders.

Actually there is always somewhere else to go.

Library

Civic / Public Building

Someone's house / garage / apartment

I say try to work something out with the store owner. Hopefully everyone can come up with a solution. Ultimately it's their store; like it or leave it.

Library

Civic / Public Building

I say try to work something out with the store owner. Hopefully everyone can come up with a solution. Ultimately it's their store; like it or leave it.

The elsewhere was really in reference to the ability to purchase gaming items not a place to play.

Library

Civic / Public Building

The elsewhere was really in reference to the ability to purchase gaming items not a place to play.

I'd still disagree :)

Catalogs and phone orders

Paying with money orders

Paying with personal checks

Local library internet connection

Friend or relative's internet connection

Visa gift cards are the same as a Visa credit card

There are plenty of good ways to spend your money with out your own internet connection, pay-pal, or even a credit card.

Library

Civic / Public Building

I'd still disagree :)

Catalogs and phone orders

Paying with money orders

Paying with personal checks

Local library internet connection

Friend or relative's internet connection

Visa gift cards are the same as a Visa credit card

There are plenty of good ways to spend your money with out your own internet connection, pay-pal, or even a credit card.

Point taken. Just remember that not even all of these options are available to everyone.

Gotta go with Morgan on this. People often say they don't have a choice, or don't have elsewhere to go, when what they really mean is "that would be too inconvenient for me." Standing your ground often means inconveniencing yourself.

If you have a store owner in a small community who is relying on the fact he's the only game in town to keep his business, he's only going to get away with as long as his customer base lets him. It's preferable for everyone that issues get resolved in a friendly manner, but sometimes it takes stronger tactics.

.........It's preferable for everyone that issues get resolved in a friendly manner, but sometimes it takes stronger tactics.

Yep. Games won't always agree with each (or so I've heard) but if they're tolerant, there might be a meeting in the middle. If they're not willing to listen, then break out the flamethrower and torch their figures.

That's a joke. :rolleyes:

Yep. Games won't always agree with each (or so I've heard) but if they're tolerant, there might be a meeting in the middle. If they're not willing to listen, then break out the flamethrower and torch their figures.

That's a joke. :rolleyes:

A joke? Now I have to cancel my flamethrower order on eBay. ::P:

Actually, I deliberately ignored your flamethrower comments until now, mostly because I'm sorely tempted sometimes.

Not on topic, but I think in some ways, gamers are often more likely to solve problems among themselves than other groups of hobbyists, because we're willing to roll dice to solve issues. I've seen people storm out of a Model RR club meeting never to return again over the silliest little argument, where as two gamers facing a similar issue would have agreed to let the dice decide or otherwise game for it.