Sign in to follow this  
Kang

Green Stuff Alternative?

Figured the Conversions forum was the place for this, though I suppose Sculpting would have been appropriate as well...

Yesterday I noticed these 2 types of 2-part epoxy putty in the canoe repair aisle at MEC while shopping for a new camp stove. Came in tubes containing 130 gram sticks, each with one colour on the outside and another in the middle. Went for $15cdn, which is way cheaper by volume than I've seen blister packs of green stuff ribbons in local stores. The 2 products were called Polymeric Systems Aquamend Putty Sticks and Polymeric Systems QuikPlastik Putty Sticks. From the brief descriptions on MEC's webpage, the former sets hard and sandable and can be used to repair fibreglass, metal, wood, and PVC, while the latter can be moulded and shaped before it hardens and bonds to all major plastic types except polyolefins(?). Both are white when cured.

Has anyone tried using either of these where green stuff would normally be used, ie. for sculpting and/or gap filling with pewter minis?

If so, which kind, what were you doing with it, and how well did it turn out? If I buy some to try out with minis, am I wasting my time and money? If not, which one should I try? I do a lot more gap-filling than sculpting, if that makes any difference.

Thanks,

Kang

A lot of those two part puttys are similar, and IIRC, green stuff was originally some sort of plumber's putty tht got tweaked for it's current use over time.

I would say try them out, see if they work for you. Green Stuff, Brown Stuff and Pro Create are all available in bigger packages at a better price break - but they're not as convenient to find as the blister pack packages.

Go ahead and try some, but not on a mini. Industrial epoxies can be bad with details, and may want stick to sculpting equipment/tables/you, so be careful.

Should work for gap-filling though, and basic scenics (rocks for basis).

Considering the only brownstuff I've ever had was packaged as Radiator Repair Putty, it's certainly possible to find the 2-part epoxies we know and love in cheaper form.

... of course I used the majority of the 'radiator repair putty' to repair a radiator, but the leftovers made for nice rocks. :ph34r:

I should clarify my statement, try it on it's own first, then after you know its properties, try it on a mini.

Considering the only brownstuff I've ever had was packaged as Radiator Repair Putty

Off to the hardware store then!

Well, I went to Polymeric Systems' webpage and after looking at the details about these 2 types of putties and a bunch of other varieties they sell, some of which seem like they could be useful, I finally discovered they are the same company who makes the actual green and brown stuff we all know and love. Like an idiot, I had not realized it was the same company. So I'm guessing that since the company that makes it recommends the green and brown for our uses, they are probably more approriate than the Aquamend and QuikPlastic varieties. The fact that I know where I can buy some in an actual store may someday prompt me to pick up a stick of QuikPlastic just to play around with, but for now I guess I'll stick with the green stuff... at least until I run out.

This is kind of funny considering that for a moment, I thought I had discovered something new: I tried clicking on the site's "buy it here" button from their green stuff page, and it brough up a bunch of links - including Reaper's online store. How in blazes did I not realize this was the same company?!?

Anyhow, thanks for your comments. I'd still be interested in hearing about anyone else's experiments with QuikPlastic (which seems more appropriate than AquaMend, which contains fiberglass to reinforce and sticks to wet things - ie. sounds a tad lumpy and messy) or any of PSI's other 2-part putties - for example, according to their page, QuikWood is useful for hobby/crafts and can be sculpted or carved for intricate detail...

Kang

Word of caution. SOME of the industrial epoxy putties can be a great deal more toxic than greenstuff so be sure to check up on that before experimenting.

Word of caution. SOME of the industrial epoxy putties can be a great deal more toxic than greenstuff so be sure to check up on that before experimenting.

Double caution, do not put near your eyes !

Good alternative - Procreate from kraftmark

- Aves Apoxie fix it and normal.

- Other stuff from Polymeric system.

- Lepage epoxie putty (if you can find it)

- Mix of Fimo, sculpey with GS or Procreate.

Hope it helped !