Sign in to follow this  
Bruunwald

NOVA Guys

I just got my NOVA guys in the mail yesterday (one sergeant, two guards), and I really dig them (great, clean lines, very cool uniforms). I know that these sculpts were actually bought a few years back and only now released, yes?

Any plans for a third pose for these guys in the near future? I'd love to crowd my table with them for my modern RPGs, but can't see doing it with just the one guard pose.

Meanwhile, I am working out ways to justify the purchase of more, such as modelling them onto vehicles.

These were supposed to be prototype figures for a 28mm skirmish game set in the CAV universe. Unfortunately that game hasn't happened yet. AFAIK there haven't been any more figures made to accompany those two poses. Though one would assume that if enough sold there might be companions commissioned to a sculptor. Reaper tends to go where the money is as far as what type of sculpts people are buying so it would seem reasonable. Again, provided they sell.

These were supposed to be prototype figures for a 28mm skirmish game set in the CAV universe. Unfortunately that game hasn't happened yet. AFAIK there haven't been any more figures made to accompany those two poses. Though one would assume that if enough sold there might be companions commissioned to a sculptor. Reaper tends to go where the money is as far as what type of sculpts people are buying so it would seem reasonable. Again, provided they sell.

Correct.

As soon as I can find them, I'll be buying them. Yes, I know I can use the online store, but I want my FLGS' to stock them, so I want to buy them there for now.

I think heading in a profitable direction goes without saying, but it poses a bit of a catch-22, doesn't it?

The purpose of having a grunt and a sergeant pose is so you can build a sizeable squad, no? As a self-respecting modeller of small things, I would be much more willing to shell out tons of cash on a set of three individually posed figs in this vein. I think most serious modellers expect some small level of variety to lend a better sense of realism to their games. Reaper's own Warlord packs are a testimony to this sentiment.

Without this variety, they may not sell as well as they might have with such variety. So you're in a situation where you're waiting to see if the thing will sell well enough to justify adding the thing that would have caused it to sell better in the first place. Catch-22.

In a situation like this, probably the best resource you have is feedback from the people who would be buying more, so I am giving you feedback. You can thank me at your leisure. Here is my feedback:

I don't know how much it costs to commission a third of this type of sculpt, so I can't say generally if it would be a wise investment to do so. But I can say that personally I would be much more willing to buy a lot more of these guys if there were a third pose.

I see your point about the catch-22. However, as consumers, the best way to make our voice heard is through our wallet. Like you, I'd like to see some more poses for the Nova guys, so I kind of feel compelled to buy them, regardless of the one pose right now. Of course, I'm looking to have 20 or more of these guys at some point, so picking up 5 of one pose right now is no big deal to me. I hope more people feel the same way - at least enough for Reaper to see the potential of a 3rd sculpt.

Especially if that third sculpt was more of a posable one with optional arms/weapons/heads, like some of the other Chronoscope figures are.

I see your point about the catch-22. However, as consumers, the best way to make our voice heard is through our wallet. Like you, I'd like to see some more poses for the Nova guys, so I kind of feel compelled to buy them, regardless of the one pose right now. Of course, I'm looking to have 20 or more of these guys at some point, so picking up 5 of one pose right now is no big deal to me. I hope more people feel the same way - at least enough for Reaper to see the potential of a 3rd sculpt.

Especially if that third sculpt was more of a posable one with optional arms/weapons/heads, like some of the other Chronoscope figures are.

I'm already on it. As stated in my first post, I have three in hand (love them!) and am going to be buying more to convert onto/into vehicles. Probably tomorrow (payday!).

Optional arms and heads would be glorious. Just being able to tip one guy's arm a little this way, and another guy's head a little that way would be more than satisfactory for my needs.

I picked up the sarge and four troopers. I think they make a pretty good looking squad. The sculpts are excellent but I would like to see at least two more poses. I went with a five man squad because I felt that was as big a squad as I could make with only one trooper pose and still have a good looking squad. I do plan to get another sarge model and swap the head with the cigar chomping head from the jack harrison pack.

I am buying an 8 man squad up front to use in my New VOR army, I love the Sculpts! If more are made, I will buy many more. I hope it works out that we see 2-4 more sculpts, or 2 with options. Either way I'm happy with this line all around. Can't wait to get Rosie to put on a base next to a Chickenhawk from Starship Troopers for a diorama I am working on....Perfection!

As soon as I can find them, I'll be buying them. Yes, I know I can use the online store, but I want my FLGS' to stock them, so I want to buy them there for now.

:lol: Provided your FLGS can get them in! They're sold out _again_ in distribution through Alliance Games! I tried to order _any_ Chronoscope mini yesterday when I placed my Alliance order. Someone even beat me to the last few NOVA Corps Sergeants, which were listed as in-stock for my local warehouse. Looks like I'm still gonna need to place that direct order if I want to fill my store's Chronoscope needs.