Hairdryer and acrylics paints - Match made in heaven??

pepibom

So in my day job as a rare books conservator I often use acrylic paints (Golden, fyi) and to speed up the drying process I use a hair dryer.

I haven't tried this yet with miniature painting and I curious to know if anyone has already used a hairdryer... most specifically for long drawn out layering sessions where one has to wait for absolute drying between layers.

I can be so impatient when painting sure would help if this works.

---"Enquiring minds want to know!"

Pepi

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Or instead of a hair dryer move to a high altitude arid state. No need for a hair dryer at then in fact your issue will become keeping your paints wet. ::D:

You must be an engineer, coming up with the most difficult and expensive solution to a simple problem. :lol:::P:::D:

Seriously, though, I've seen some of the top painters run a travel hair dryer to help layering, glazing, etc. My own experience: keep it low; do not blast high heat; for glazing or washes, be careful not to push the paint/ink away from your intended spots.

• Artists

Drying paint (and water spills on clothing) is the only reason I went out and bought a new hairdryer to replace the one I left with my roommate after I moved. I don't find I need to use it on the paint often for regular thin layer painting, but it's very handy for doing bases and stuff where I use thicker layers and washes.

I used to do that, but I switched to compact fluorescents a year or so ago. Nowhere near as hot. That's when I bought a hair dryer. ::):

You mean the hair dryer wasn't for your long curly locks??? :upside:

Not since I cut off the headbanger mop 12 or 13 years ago. Wow. Time flies.