Drill for Pinning

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My understanding of the GW one is that it is the same as the china-built one that Rastl linked to - it just costs 3 times as much. :poke: Again, it will depend a lot on your own physical situation in terms of what will be the most comfortable...but they will all work.

In terms of pinning wire...paper clips work well enough, the size will very some depending on the paper clips. I have some that would be around a #75 while others are monsters by comparison. One of the downsides to using paper clips is they are less forgiving when pinning misaligned holes as well as harder on your nippers when cutting. Even relatively heavy duty diagonal cutters are not designed to cut steel...so you will end up notching the cutting edges in short order. Brass wire gives you some wiggle room when pinning - but it remains plenty strong. You can also get a large selection of different sizes for various tasks from pinning fairy wings to dealing with the likes of dragons.

btw, Joe, I'm oe of those that don't have candles in their home. I have not a one.

Consider yourself lucky. My wife single handedly supports the local party light yutz...

My local game store sells this Games Workshop brand pin vise and bit set for $15. Has anyone tried this one?

Does anyone use paper clips for pinning wire? What size drill bit works best for that?

I can't blame you for wanting to support your FLGS if it is a small business, but if that GW pin vise (Can't access GW links from my office, sorry) is really similar to the one Rastl posted, you can get virtually the same thing - including a selection of bits - for half that, by giving up nothing more than GW's logo on the package (I can't personally vouch for Joe Kutz's 1/3, but it may well be true).

IMO even if you do buy that one, it is worth making a special trip to check out any other good hobby stores in your area as well; if not for pin vises, then for spare/replacement bits, as well as just to see what other types of tools and supplies they have that might come in handy for minis - jeweller's saws & blades, hobby knives, files, paint, Testors Dullcote spray, precision-tipped glue dispensers, basing needs, etc.

I normally use paperclips for pinning, as I mentioned in the post right before the one where you asked - you must have already been typing; don't you hate it when that happens? - but I don't know if different brands of paperclip have identical diameters and I can't remember the number of the bit I usually use for mine - I'll try and remember to check tonight and post again tomorrow to let you know about the bit # and paperclip brand name. One thing I didn't mention above is that I generally take my needle file or a dremel - whichever's handier at the moment - and roughen up the pin slightly to help the glue grab hold a little better. I can't say whether it does any good, but I don't think it hurts either. Some people swear by brass rods or guitar strings for pins, and they have their reasons, but to me paperclips work just fine if you have a matching bit, and they have always seemed so much easier to come by - a box of 100 (that's a pretty small box) should last just about forever, if you re-use them and take care to hide them from your family.

Good luck,

Kang

I use that GW drill (or one very much like it) and it works just fine. I also do use a brass paper clip. Happened to find it around the house somewhere, and so far I've used about half of it. I think what everybody's saying is that almost anything you use will work, it depends on personal preference and convenience.

I bought a pin vice with several different drill bits and then the Gale Force 9 one. Unfortunately, I can't tell you what sizes of drill bits they are.

I use thick picture hanging wire for big pins and then sewing pins for little thin pins. For both, I am very careful when cutting them with wire cutters. I cover the wire with one hand and close my eyes (and I'm wearing glasses). If I were really smart, I'd also be wearing safety goggles.

Ron

I have two pin vices, one GW, the other is a non-brand. No difference apart from high price of GW. Only got that cause I was desparate.

Went to a "flea" market on a day out and got a set of "very" small drill bits (down to .5mm). Good if you want to add chains of different link sizes.

I use different grades of garden wire, stripped and unstripped depending on what I'm pinning. (on one occasion, the broken brill bit that got stuck in the hole I was making and couldn't get it back out.)

I sometimes start with a fine bit in a pin vice, then use a "dremel" when doing heavy pinning.

I ended up purchasing this Zona brand swivel pin vise with a wooden handle at Hobbytown USA. I didn't buy the drill bits they had there, which was a set of Dremel bits for $10, because I thought I might have some at home (still haven't checked), and also thought I might get a set for a better price at Home Depot, for which I still have some money left on a gift card I got for Christmas. ::):

zon37-120.jpg

...Does anyone use paper clips for pinning wire? What size drill bit works best for that?
...I don't know if different brands of paperclip have identical diameters and I can't remember the number of the bit I usually use for mine - I'll try and remember to check tonight and post again tomorrow to let you know about the bit # and paperclip brand name....
OK, so it took me 3 days to remember to check that stuff before dashing off to work each morning... I use a #65 bit with standard sized paperclips. The paperclips are Acme brand (smooth, standard size) if it matters, but it probably doesn't.

Good luck with your new pin vise - happy pinning!

Kang

Thanks, Kang! That was really helpful. I have a bunch of standard-sized paperclips lying around, so I'll make sure to get a #65 bit.

We recently had a new furnace and A/C installed in our house, and the HVAC guys left a bit of bronze wire in our basement, about 6 inches worth. When I saw it, I said, Yippie! (My husband just rolled his eyes at me.) I'll probably try using that first, since it's a little more forgiving of drilling mistakes, due to its flexibility, and I've never done this before. The fact that it was free is just a really nice bonus. ::):

I've read that bronze wire comes in various gauges, from 8 to 22. Can anyone point me to (or post) a chart matching up drill bit sizes with bronze wire gauges for pinning? (I have no idea of the gauge of the piece of wire I have, but I can ask at the hardware store when I go to buy my bits.)

To get holes aligned I drill one side, put in a short pin (no glue, loose fit) and then pop a blob of paint on the end. Put 'em together and you get you marker. You probably thought of that already though.

Yes, someone posted something similar earlier in the thread, but I really like this Jester Tutorial that Kang posted. My trepidation comes from my utter lack of any experience, not from a lack of a pin-drilling plan. Thanks, though. I do appreciate any and all help.

Remember, they make green stuff for a reason. I've filled many a drilling mistake with it.

And don't be afraid to pin all the way through from the outside if that will make a stronger join. I find that much easier than trying to line up some of the tab and slots for pinning.

I like paper clips for pinning as well. Just be careful when you clip them because they do tend to fly around.

I've read that bronze wire comes in various gauges, from 8 to 22. Can anyone point me to (or post) a chart matching up drill bit sizes with bronze wire gauges for pinning? (I have no idea of the gauge of the piece of wire I have, but I can ask at the hardware store when I go to buy my bits.)

Wire gauge converter tool here.

Wire gauge chart here.

Drill bit chart here.

You'll have to compare sizes. I use a drill bit just a hair larger than the diameter of the wire to make it easier to insert the wire in the hole.