Sign in to follow this  
MamaGeek

Drill for Pinning

OK, I went drill bit shopping. The only bits I could find were sized with fractions. There was no #65 drill bit anywhere. Am I missing something?

OK, I went drill bit shopping. The only bits I could find were sized with fractions. There was no #65 drill bit anywhere. Am I missing something?
Yup - the drill bit chart Doug Sunsdeath posted.

My drill index set lists both the # notation and decimals for each bit - #65 is equivalent to .035. This is confirmed by the drill bit chart, so it looks like that decimal value is in inches. According to the chart, the #65 bit would seem to fall somewhere between 1/32 and 3/64, assuming the fractions you saw were in inches like the chart. If you use epoxy or some kind of gap-filling superglue, you may be able to get away with a 1/32 bit, which is only 0.0037 inches bigger than the #65. That doesn't sound like much of a difference to me - maybe even a regular superglue would work OK, though you may want to test it on something that doesn't matter first, rather than risk having a mini you've already finished eventually fall apart on you.

I would suggest going back to your local hobby store and find out what range of bit sizes that $10 dremel set you mentioned has - that may be your best bet as you will probably have use for a few different sizes eventually anyhow (ie. for pinning heavier parts or extremely tiny ones) - if that store really doesn't sell individual bits. I can almost guarantee Home Depot won't have anything this small. They certainly don't have them on the shelf at any locations in my area, at any rate.

Good luck,

Kang

Hobbytown stores usually have drill bits from #40-80. About $1 each. They also have brass rod for about $.35 in exact and known sizes. You can pin dozens of figs for about $5 and brass is a lot easier on cutters than Ferrous metals.

Tombwalker's method of alignment is one that I prefer. I also have pins that I keep for marking that have points to indent the location of the hole to be drilled. If you use the blue tac method don't automatically follow the direction of the dimple. I find that it is better to drill into the greater mass even if that is not straight and bend the pin to fit.

http://www.maximusinminimis.com/Drill%20Bit%20Chart.html

another drill bit chart

Edited by thrush65

I ended up buying the set of Dremel bits, but I got them for a dollar cheaper at Home Depot, where I had a gift card, and the store is only a 5 minute drive from my house, as opposed to 45 for Hobbytown. The savings in gas alone was worth it!

Anyway, I put drill and vise together today and ....success! It was much easier than I thought it would be. My half-orc's arm is actually staying on for the first time since I bought her.

I'm also working on a conversion figure: vampire -> bard. I pinned her in a couple of places, and green-stuffed quite a bit. I'll post what I've got so far in a new thread.

Thank you all SO MUCH for helping me to buy a quality product at a good price, and getting my figures together in such a way that they will STAY together.

You're all the best!

The dremel bit set you may be looking for includes

Includes

• 1/32" drill bit (use #483 collet)
  • 3/64" drill bit (use #483 collet)
  • 1/16" drill bit (use #482 collet)
  • 5/64" drill bit (use #481 collet)
  • 3/32" drill bit (use #481 collet)
  • 7/64" drill bit (use #480 collet)
  • 1/8" drill bit (use #480 collet)

I use paper clips for most of my pinning, which requires the smallest or the second smallest bit. So far so good. Some of the posts refer to brass or copper wire/rods that come in varing guages as well

post-4695-1214724780.jpg