How are scrolls sculpted?

For a conversion project, I need to craft a scroll. Something like the ones to the left on this:

http://www.reapermini.com/FigureFinder#detail/02652

I'm converting "Klaus Copperthumb, Dwarf Thief" into a mage for a friend. I'd like to add a rolled-up/tied-up scroll to his belt. But so far, my attempts with greenstuff end up looking FAR too large (greenstuff-paper

Yep, complete newbie here. All advice appreciated!

I've thought about just "stealing" from the posted treasure, but I thought I'd at least try to make one before I bought & destroyed that mini!

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

GS is most likely what was used to create those (maybe brown stuff - but GS will do it well enough).

However since you don't have to worry about the vulcanizing process - there are several options available to you.

I like to use tissue paper (not kleenex type...the craft/hobby type). Take the tissue paper and cut it into strips twice as wide as you want your final scroll to be. Fold 1/4 over to the center and do the same on the other side. You will end up with a strip half as wide as the original...but twice as thick.

Now take some acrylic medium and water it down pretty well. Gently paint this onto the tissue paper making sure it soaks through completely. Use the brush to push any air bubbles out of the tissue now as well.

While the acrylic is still wet, roll the tissue up and tie a string around it and let dry. The string is optional, but it can help to provide the dimpling effect that some people like to see on scrolls.

Once it has dried, you can paint it as normal - sculpt a tie out of GS or use materials like the scale rope used by model ship builders. To add a bit of interest - you can use a knife to cut small notches in the edges of the scroll.

But, you can still do it easily enough out of putties. When I need to do a lot of them fast - I simply roll out a ball of Sculpey either by hand or with a pasta press. Once I get a sheet as thin as I want - I use my rotary cutter to slice it into strips and then roll them up. Bake and done enough to fill the shelves in a shop.

...I like to use tissue paper (not kleenex type...the craft/hobby type).

Wow, am I dense? I _never_ considered using real paper!! Yeesh, what an idiot I can be!

But, you can still do it easily enough out of putties. When I need to do a lot of them fast - I simply roll out a ball of Sculpey either by hand or with a pasta press. Once I get a sheet as thin as I want - I use my rotary cutter to slice it into strips and then roll them up. Bake and done enough to fill the shelves in a shop.

This is what I did attempt. I couldn't figure out how to get it thin enough to look right and get it to roll up without mangling it. I want a rolled up scroll not a wadded paper ball! ;^)

I assume you bake it after it's rolled up, right?

Thanks for your help! I'd never have thought of that myself!

Yep - bake after you roll it.

With the GS - you will likely need to work on a lubricated surface in order to prevent it from sticking...that tends to be the biggest problem. Let it firm up for 15 or 20 minutes, roll it up and it should be good.

With the paper, there are several different options. Most molded/cast scrolls are thicker than prototypical paper...so it will look out of place if you intermingle the two. I use the doubled up tissue since I normally keep a lot of it on hand. Tracing paper, rice paper and various vellums and what not will also work to some extent. One of the problems with using thicker actual paper is it does have a bit of memory so it will want to return to a more or less flat state. Tissue paper doesn't have that problem - so normally the acrylic soak is enough to keep it curled up like it should be.

I like to use rice paper. It's really tough stuff and works well. But it is a little difficult to find in smaller quantities.

I've been recommending cigarette rolling papers. The kind without the glue. Pretty much the same thing. They're tougher than tissue paper but take liquids well.

If you're going to use one of the papers I recommend, here's how I've found the best results:

Wet paper

Paint paper

Let half-dry

Roll paper

Glue paper

Secure with thread (if you're going to do that)

Cool hint - seals can be made with white glue mixed with paint. Just add a glob over the knot in the thread. But if you're looking to paint them you can add a textured round of greenstuff and make it look like an embossed seal.

Wow! Thanks everyone for the replies! I've got some experimenting to do this weekend!

I'll probably start with more GS attempts as this is for a mini to be used gaming (may see some wear issues, I'd hate for the paper to get beat up).

Again, thanks mightily for the advice!!

I am thinking another method might be to roll the putty into a cylinder between two sheets of plastic. then cut the cylinder ends square and to size. then gently cut a spiral into the end of the cylinders. I have done the illusion of a coiled and folded rope on a backpack that way.

roll a small piece of green stuff into a small oval sheet and roll it up then put a small long piece around it and etch the string marks in it, thats probably easiest way unless of course you use paper, and it looks great.