Sign in to follow this  
cutebutpsycho

This CAN'T be happening

When I was pretty young, my mom married my step-dad from Denmark. He's been with us for more of my life than not, and longer than my father was. Because of this, his family has become my own-with his parents being my grandparents and his brother my uncle-in the same way my mother's family is mine. In October, his father died. Now, my step-dad is only 8 years older than me, so it was a shock. Grandpa was too young to die. Grandma has mental health issues (serious ones) and there was a LOT to deal with for her when grandpa died. Now, my uncle died last night. He was 35.

Uncle Carlo had JUST finished solving all the problems left behind by Grandpa's death. He was taking care of the estate, making sure Grandma would be taken care of. He is fairly recently married with a 16 month old little girl. Now, Grandma is alone, thousands of miles away from her only son (my step-dad who lives here). Molly will never remember her dad, and Tilde (his wife) rolled over in bed in the middle of the night to find her husband dead. Carlo had epilepsy, but it had been so well under control he hadn't had a seizure in YEARS. He had one before bed last night, but was okay, so he went to bed normally-and never woke up.

So, I'm stuck in the US because of work and a lack of a passport (which I could easily and quickly fix, and will be soon). My family is falling apart, and I'm NOT dealing with it very well.

Those of you who know me know I'm not necessarily private, but you also know I don't broadcast my life/problems with regularity. I just can't deal with this one though.

So, the point is, if you don't have a will, MAKE ONE NOW! I don't care who you are, how much you don't own, etc. Make sure your wishes are known. Tell the people you love that you love them. Make sure they know how much they mean to you. And parents, give your kids an extra hug and kiss for me tonight?

I'm so sorry to hear this, Erin. If there's anything I can do to help, please let me know... I mean it, okay?

I have you and your family in my thoughts.

Again, I'm so sorry for you and your family. If there's anything we can do for you - in terms of travelling here or anything else- just let us know

Sorry to hear all that Erin. Be strong - we all know you'll survive.

In addition to Erin's point about a will, if you ever think you'll have any reason to leave the country in a hurry - such as to attend to a family member in another country - start your passport application NOW. Remember you need one for Canada and Mexico now, too. It took my wife and I over 4 months to get ours after our applications were put in, and even paying bookoo bucks for "rush" service is going to take weeks - plus you often have to make an appointment for the application process, and if you need that to be outside of "normal" working hours, like a Saturday, you'll find that those appointments are often booked weeks in advance.

Yeah, passports are expensive and take a long time because they are dealing with severe backlog. The good news is you can get the photos taken at the photo place in your local Wal-Mart.

Erin: I'm extremely sorry to hear about your loss. I know there is no feasible way we can help you, but you know we're around to talk to if you need someone.

And I tell my family often how much I love them. I know I need to do a will, but have been putting it off because it just makes me nervous and I don't want to deal with all the legal mumbo jumbo.

Erin, push hard to get your passport, explain your situation to the authorities, they may expadite your application.

I can only imagine what youand your family are going through, I lost my dad last year and my mum has recovered well from the loss now.

Don't forget to talk it out. It does help.

If ever you need it, call.

All the best and god speed, T.

Oh Erin, you always know you can turn to your online friends when you need to. I am so sorry to hear of your losses and grief. Wish I could be right there with you, but know we're there in our hearts and sending you all the positive energy we can to help you come out of this. It takes time...a platitude, I know, but true.

There will definitely be extra hugs and kisses tonight. My husband and I started the process of wills in his family for everyone and although we have not yet completed the formal signing and witnesses yet for our own will (still awaiting schanges and for Art's sister to finish so we can do it all together), everyone in the family now knows our wishes, our daughter will be well taken care of if needed, and our belongings will go to the people who will appreciate them most.

Having gone through similar circumstances in my own family, everyone please make sure their paperwork is in order AND family knows where it all is. Don't make loved ones have to clear out 9 decades of junk in an office and a home to find the paperwork on your accounts, your stocks, your insurance, as we did with Art's grandfather. Both my parents and in-laws have cleared out their paperwork and we know right where to go for all the necessary information if needed. We're working on that part ourselves.

And hey, do all of you guys know how much I appreciate the friendliness and past support of Reaper peeps, both the employees and the fans?

Peace, Erin. Huge Hug and be safe.

Believe it or not, I could have my passport in hand right now-and I found out my uncle died at 8:45 last night. By driving 6 hours to Chicago, I could have gotten an emergency appointment at the passport office this morning adn waited 5-6 hours for them to process and make my passport. I am expediting, but doing it via mail-unfortunately it requires my birth certificate, which I can't get until tomorrow as it is in Ely. I always told my mom I wanted my own copy.....

Thanks all for keeping my family in your thoughts. I'm just so shocked and stunned that this has happened, it's not been a good 8 months for our family.....

Believe it or not, I could have my passport in hand right now-and I found out my uncle died at 8:45 last night. By driving 6 hours to Chicago, I could have gotten an emergency appointment at the passport office this morning adn waited 5-6 hours for them to process and make my passport.

Yeah, they'll do that when necessary, it's just easier to NOT have to deal with it during a crisis.

I do most of my sub-contract work for a Canadian company, so I got mine because there is always the off chance I'll have to go visit a Canadian customer. That was bad enough, I can't imagine the hassle of getting one when you're already distraught. I'm guessing you'll be able to tell us when you've managed to recover from everything else.

Thanks all for keeping my family in your thoughts. I'm just so shocked and stunned that this has happened, it's not been a good 8 months for our family.....

These things all tend to come in fairly short intervals followed by long ones - and it never seems like a good time even when they don't. So of course we'll keep you in our thoughts. Most of us have been there in one way or another.