Sign in to follow this  
Tistur

Too Tiny to Pin....

I'm trying to make what I guess could be considered a streotypical "catgirl" (I'm not entirely certain what that consists of..). My big problem is adding a tail, which I cut of a lioness figure. I'm starting with the old Tara the Silent, and am trying to figure out the best way to attach the tail.

The tail, in a GW pin vise to show how tiny it is:post-4354-1214532262.jpg

I want it to come out from under the tunic, as if it is an extension of her spine - as natural as possible. This is problematic enough, but I'm also not sure how I should attach it at all. I think I have 2 options: I could clip the end of the tail and just glue it in, or I could file a slit in the back the tunic, glue the tail in and hope I develop green stuff skills.

I would really appreciate any ideas, hints, or warnings before I procede.

post-4354-1214532132.jpg

post-4354-1214532493.jpg

Thanks!

Third option is to run a piece of wire into the fig and sculpt a tail on top of that. A little more work but the thing would be secure since it is a single piece of wire.

No such thing as too small to pin.

A #80 will drill that and leave plenty of meat to hold it solid. From the looks of things - you could go all the way up to a #70 or so.

However, I probably wouldn't bother with going that route. You will probably be better off to drill a socket in the mini to receive the tale itself. Use GS to help blend it all together.

I personally would find it easier to drill a hole where the tail is going to attach - make it just about the size of the shaft of the tail. You'll lose maybe 1mm of tail length, but it seems to me that it'll be a whole lot easier.

If you've got a 2mm ball-grinder tip for a Dremel, that'd be the easiest. Apologies for not knowing what it's actually called.

Drilling it wouldn't be a problem. I'd use a #76 with brass rod. But if you want it to come out from under the tunic drilling a hole to fit the actual size of the end of the tail to be inserted will work. You can squeeze the end with pliers and shape it to gain a little length and a smaller diameter too. That will help if you decide to make a split in the tunic as well.

Thanks for all the thoughts and ideas. I seem to have decided to hollow out between the legs and glue the tail in, so it comes out from under the tunic. Krazy glue is used for this type of conversion, am I right?

Tistur

Krazy, Super, Zap - which ever brand of CA happens to be your poison.

Depending on how you "hollow" out the hole for the tale though, you might consider a 5 minute epoxy for gap filling instead of a CA glue (they make CA gap fillers...but more often than not epoxy is the better option when you need to fill in space).