Sign in to follow this  
morganm

Lots of empty paint pots....

So now that most of my paint is transfered from pots to droppers I have a bunch of empty paint pots. I was about to toss them all in the recycling bin but thought I'd ask. Any good use for them? They seem like a real PITA to try and clean up. The ink bottles would clean up OK but the rest are a total loss.

Spray paint them and use them as sci-fi terrain? Build a pyramid out of them? What? =)

Let the suggestions flow!

I use my old Pro Paint pots as mini holders. Stick some double sided tape on top, add some weight inside & your ready to go.

Storage for basing materials, especially when I travel. Storage for lumps of putty (in wax paper so they don't stick to the bottle) for small sculpting/conversion projects. Storage for small bits, like weapons packs (all the swords, staves, shields etc. in separate bottles). Storage for those darn familiars which I always lose otherwise. Storage for useful bits I either just haven't used on a miniature (backpacks, etc.) or bits I've clipped off to make room for another bit (discards from weapon swaps and such). Storage for pewter sprue bits to use for paint agitators if I have a bottle without one. Weighted with pennies and topped with blue tack or poster putty (or sometimes I just glue 'em on), a working base for painting as mentioned above. ::): I also use them if I have to mix up quite a bit of a wash, say for painting a very large or many similar figures. I apply the wash right out of the jar; if I'm painting en masse or massive figures it's just easier than squirting out a pool at a time out of a dropper. Hmmm..lessee...custom colors for basing projects again go in the jars, easier to dip a big brush into the jar for scenic basing and diorama work because you're going through more paint.

Oh, and with a very small hole drilled through the lid top, it can hold my pokey implements (sewing pins) for opening clogged dropper bottles (so they don't get lost on my tray and stab me!).

Hope that helps... :;):

--Anne ::D:

Other than possibly using them for terrain - empty paint pots aren't worth my time. US Plastics sells a huge selection of clean bottles for dirt cheap prices...so the time I spend cleaning out a bottle doesn't make it worth the money I might save.

What I do do is cut them up with a pruning shears so that they are small enough to toss in the meat grinder. Then I grind them up into little chunks and use the resulting mess for urban rubble.

It depends on how gunky the bottles are. I saved about 100 by soaking them in Simple Green for a day and washing them out. Not too much trouble for me and they are usefull for purposes already listed as well as making custom formulas. I taped two together so my blue and yellow stuff doesn't make green until I want it to. These were old Ral pots and RPP. GW pots I threw out.

I use my old Pro Paint pots as mini holders. Stick some double sided tape on top, add some weight inside & your ready to go.

Ditto for me. But I use the orange Elmer's poster tack to hold 'em down.

When I transferred my old Pro Paints into dropper bottles, I cleaned them up and have been using them for storage for my chainmaille knitting. Since I'm knitting a lot more dice bags lately, I can finish the bag and drop the paint pots inside to check and see how many dice sets it will hold.

Thanks for all the ideas.

I don't think I'll be using all 20 empty pots CBP. If you want some of them just let me know!