Batman

Nanite

So I admitted my wuv for Batman Forever. Why? Because I heart Val Kilmer. Sure it wasn't very good, and Tomy Lee Jones was horrible as two-face, but it was entertaining. More so, I think then either of Tim Burton's Batman flicks.

I just don't think they've aged well at all. Keaton makes a weak and boring Batman, Burtons vision for Gotham doesn't work for me. Also, outside of Chinatown, I don't enjoy Jack Nicolas in anything. Saving grace? Billy Dee Williams as Harvey Dent.

But just to set the record straight, Batman and Robin was, is, and always will be, an abomination. Batman Begins rocked my socks off, and Dark Night looks fantastic. I need to get my IMAX tickets.

And although I haven't seen it in a while, I have an amazing fondness for the 92 -95 animated series. Does it still hold up? I’m kind of afraid to be let down by it.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, other than the modern Batman movies, I think they all were pretty bad (yes, even the Val Kilmer version). The animated series looks dated, but the plots and storytelling I always thought were top notch. I really enjoyed how for some episodes they had their own unique music tracks. A great effect...

Damon.

It is true, they dont age well.

Following the abomination that was Batman 2 - still rated as one of my worst five films ever seen! - any of the others are good. I do like the original Tim Burton version, it has the Gothic feel that I look for in the Dark Knight. Three and four are OK, but way too cartoony. I went back to watch Batman Begins recently. I didnt lke it first time I saw it, but re-watching I worked out why. Batmas Begins is a really good movie, but it is just not Batman after the other series. It doesnt fit with the other films.

Keaton makes a weak and boring Batman, Burtons vision for Gotham doesn't work for me. Also, outside of Chinatown, I don't enjoy Jack Nicolas in anything. Saving grace? Billy Dee Williams as Harvey Dent.

I concur concerning Keaton (BEETLEJUICE!) and Billy Dee Williams, but I thought Burton's Gotham and Nicolas' rendition of the Joker were great. As an added bonus that I didn't realize at the time I was watching it before the sequels, Batman's armor wasn't too anatomically detailed...

I do think you might have a good time reviewing the 92-95 animated series. I personally don't think it's aged that badly...

You can't take it back and try to be all cool now.

Watch 15 hrs of the Venture Brothers to purge and cleanse your eyes.

I'll just cuddle up with my Guild of Calamitous Intent T-shirt, and autographed copy of the first season DVDs then.

I do think you might have a good time reviewing the 92-95 animated series. I personally don't think it's aged that badly...

Good deal. I always worry. Seem like every time I watch some animated show from childhood, it’s always a letdown.

One episode of the series always stuck with me: The one where Poison Ivy had seemingly gone straight, but had really cloned a whole family in hopes of leading a normal life. Of course the clones were plant monsters, and tried to kill Batman and Robin. But it ended with Ivy on a plane, longing for that normal life again. Really nuanced and gut-wrenching for a kids-show.

They also made the Man-Bat arc pretty cool, IIRC.

The TV series with Adam West was better than Batman and Robin.

Also better then Batman and Robin? ChickenPox, Hamdingers, and Manos: Hands of Fate. Without the MST treatment.

I am currently re-watching the Animated series with my 6-year-old since they're replaying it on Toon Disney. It has held up surprisingly well. Mark Hamill's Joker is inspired genius. Some of the animation is less polished that I remember (particularly in light of Bruce Timm's Justice League which only ended a few years ago), but they are still well written. Even my wife is enjoying them.