WOW?! Is this normal debit card activity?

haldir

So I was looking at my checking account balance this morning online (gotta love that feeling you might be overdrawn when/before that account balance pops up, ha ha). Anyways I was looking through my transactions & on the 3rd of this month are 3 small amounts (5.00 to 7.00) that have Reaper, Denton, TX on them. Now they are debit card transaction & I remember what they were, so no worries on ID theft of anything. It's my Sonic food transactions I did. As I used my debit card most of the time while I was there in Texas & abroad this year for my ReaperCon trip.

Now that brings up this, RC was in the middle of May, why are those showing up (ie subtracting off my checking account) now? Anyone know?

Just thought it was odd that it would take more then month for a debit card transaction to take out. My bank is BoA, so it's a major banking firm. Kinda through me for a bit. (Actually kinda glad they came out now instead of then, as the BW bill was a bit bigger then I thought it'd be, ha ha.)

RM

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Reaper User

If it was Sonic stuff we have no way of knowing. All I can think of is someone completely forgot about the catering charges until they suddenly turned up...since Sonic doesn't normally do catering style stuff I could see it happening that way! You could always call 'em and ask, hehehee!

--Anne ::):

If it was Sonic stuff we have no way of knowing. All I can think of is someone completely forgot about the catering charges until they suddenly turned up...since Sonic doesn't normally do catering style stuff I could see it happening that way! You could always call 'em and ask, hehehee!

--Anne ::):

You guys had your Con catered by Sonic?

Man, I love you guys.

-- Seventh Son

I've seen it happen a lot with smaller stores. They store the receipts in a batch file in the terminal, and then process them once a week (or month)...probably just got around to it recently. It is even more fun in places south of the border - I have seen those take over 3 months to process a hotel charge.

It will also happen if they use a third party terminal to handle the approval. In that case though, it gets sent off to a clearing house (either at time of purchase through the phone lines - or when the terminal is returned). In either case, while it happens less and less in todays age of instant payments...it isn't entirely odd.

The final potential problem... BoA may have been sitting on them while they made sure it was you who did the charges. I know USAA will do that from time to time if you make a purchase outside your normal area...and if it is a big one, they may actually call you up before they pay it out. Just gives you some time to report a card stolen/lost before they pay the people.

Joe's probably got it right. The company I subcontract for makes terminals that do exactly that - the cards are "pre-approved" within the terminal itself, by checking expiration dates, checksums on the mag card, etc, but not actually processed until they are "sent" from the terminal. If someone forgot to hook the terminal back up and send the transactions, that could happen.

There could also be what they call a settlement issue - that is the transactions got a pending approval, but for some reason the entire batch itself didn't settle properly, and someone had to manually correct the settlement problem, which would delay the actual funds transfer until the batch was properly settled and closed out.

Don't those companies have a certain time frame in which to submit these things anyway? And if so, how long? I'm disliking my bank enough to make astink over 5 bucks.

Not really. If they don't submit them the day they were processed, they'll pay a higher rate. The big risk on waiting is that the card will expire, or the customer will dispute the charge, and initiate a chargeback procedure against the merchant. And in the case of a chargeback, unless the merchant has all the supporting documentation, you'll get your money back, and the merchant will have to pay an additional $20-$35 fee to the clearing house.

Chargebacks are a huge hassle for merchants. Part of this is because the Visa and Mastercard rules give customers 18 months to dispute a charge (though they don't really tell the customer that, and some banks get outright unfriendly to customers who initiate chargebacks (while at the same time making life difficult for the merchant, too)).

If you dispute the $5 charge with your bank, it will be Sonic who actually winds up paying for it, not your bank - and they'll wind up paying that chargeback fee, too.

It's also always a good idea to call your credit card company (or bank if it's a debit card) and let them know if you are going to be using it outside your normal activity.

Earlier this year when we purchased a bunch of computer parts my debit card was actually frozen because of the high dollar amounts which were outside of my normal range.

Just yesterday I called a couple of my card companies and let them know I will be in New Orleans next week and using my cards there. They flagged the accounts so when I do use them they won't automatically freeze them.

We always let our card companies know when we're doing something out of the ordinary. Like leaving the country for a vacation. Keeps the headache factor down.

I know that charges on debit cards can be weird about when they show up. I don't have that problem with a straight credit card. It might be intermediary processing (debit = bank then credit card company) so it just takes longer to process and hit your account.

Mr. Rastl hates using his debit card as a credit card for that exact reason. He never knows when the charges are going to hit. But I keep reminding him (usually with a clue-by-four) that debit costs us money while credit costs the vendor money. He still doesn't get it.

But I keep reminding him (usually with a clue-by-four) that debit costs us money while credit costs the vendor money. He still doesn't get it.

You might want to shop around for a better bank. None of the ones I use charge for debit card purchases, and two of them refund the ATM charges to boot.

Something else I've noticed with people using debit as credit...

they don't figure it in when balancing their checkbook. This kind of throws me. Especially when they (and I'm sure some of you will say this, too) say they don't balance their checkbook.

Knowing where and how you spend your money is important, especially when there is a possible theft. If you do find yourself with a charge you know nothing about, keeping everything up to date is crucial for clearing inconsistencies. It also helps you know that, yes, you do have enough to cover that video game you're looking at buying.

Something else I've noticed with people using debit as credit...

they don't figure it in when balancing their checkbook. This kind of throws me. Especially when they (and I'm sure some of you will say this, too) say they don't balance their checkbook.

Knowing where and how you spend your money is important, especially when there is a possible theft. If you do find yourself with a charge you know nothing about, keeping everything up to date is crucial for clearing inconsistencies. It also helps you know that, yes, you do have enough to cover that video game you're looking at buying.

Well I sort of balance my checkbook but then I don't use a debit card or use ATMs and people just have to give me pained expressions when I'm writing checks for my purchases.

Everything is fine on my end, just the time between swiping & taking it out is what threw me.

RM

Yeah; I've had that problem with po-dunk outfits. Some no name gas station in the middle of nowhere Iowa for example took 3 weeks before they finally completed the transaction. Happens often with these types of places.