3330: Lilea, Naiad

Jubilee

I have adored this figure since I saw the preview white, so I was very pleased when Anne agreed to let me paint her! I think she's supposed to be released soon (but that might be ReaperSoon for all I know). I actually finished her only about a week after ReaperCon, but other RL things have kept me from posting until now.

I applied some of what I learned about basing from Olliekickflip & metallics from Jeremie at the Con. I really wanted to paint the fish as a clown fish, but the shape wasn't right for it, so I made it a koi instead. I believe she's safe to post here, as scales cover all the naughty bits. If I'm in error, I apologize in advance!

lileanaiad1.jpg

lileanaiad2.jpg

lileanaiad3.jpg

lileanaiad4.jpg

lileanaiad5.jpg

I tried to make the scales look like they expanded and blended a bit more into her flesh with metallic paint, but it doesn't show up very well in the pictures. Also, I had originally done the hair blue, but Anne suggested changing it to purple and it really made the colors work better, yay Anne! =)

Thanks for lookin'

/ali

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The bold green-orange-purple colors do an excellent job at conveying a lively and fey mood, and I even feel like she is in warm tropical water. Nice work!

I see the metallic scales now that you mentioned them, and I agree with your instinct to use paint to blend the sculpted patches out to the skin. The scaly parts look somewhat disjointed from the rest of the skin in the photos. I think that adding the shadows of a few rows of scales (with the shade tone gradually lightening to the color of the smooth skin) would have helped accomplished the transition.

And I think her face needs a warmer color brought into it, to draw more attention -- such as a touch of orange or pink in her lips or cheeks, or warm orange-brown eyeshadow, or pink/orange highlights on a few strands of hair around her face.

Swim on,

Derek

I see the metallic scales now that you mentioned them, and I agree with your instinct to use paint to blend the sculpted patches out to the skin. The scaly parts look somewhat disjointed from the rest of the skin in the photos. I think that adding the shadows of a few rows of scales (with the shade tone gradually lightening to the color of the smooth skin) would have helped accomplished the transition.

I think you're right - the transition in shadow around the scales is still too abrupt. The scales are the only thing I don't like about this sculpt - I hope some day we'll see a scale-less version, but I'm not holding my breath..;)

And I think her face needs a warmer color brought into it, to draw more attention -- such as a touch of orange or pink in her lips or cheeks, or warm orange-brown eyeshadow, or pink/orange highlights on a few strands of hair around her face.

It didn't even occur to me to do anything other than blue for the lips, but now that you point it out, I think you're right. I'm not sure about eyeshadow - it seems weird to put eyeshadow on a creature that lives underwater.. same with fingernail polish. I just can't wrap my head around how that works - i guess it's ultra waterproof or something.. ;)

/ali

I think you're right - the transition in shadow around the scales is still too abrupt. The scales are the only thing I don't like about this sculpt - I hope some day we'll see a scale-less version, but I'm not holding my breath..;)

Don't hold your breath, but you can wear a dust mask as you file/sand the scales off of another casting of this figure. ::P:

It didn't even occur to me to do anything other than blue for the lips, but now that you point it out, I think you're right. I'm not sure about eyeshadow - it seems weird to put eyeshadow on a creature that lives underwater.. same with fingernail polish. I just can't wrap my head around how that works - i guess it's ultra waterproof or something.. ;)

Just say that it's magic. (Maybe it's Maybelline.)

Perhaps naiads naturally have a pinkish/orangy tone on their lips and eyelids and nails, and they pity the poor surface-dwellers who have to add such adornments to themselves. :;):

Derek

The shells are from a pack of mini shells I got from Michaels. They're pressed into the greenstuff I used to smooth out the base. There was supposed to be a mussel-shell sticking out of the ground, too, but sadly I snapped it off during painting.. :( (it's the little orangey arch on the back of the base behind the Naiad).

Perhaps Naiads all use perminent laser-makeup... (when you're an immortal fae creature, you don't have to worry about wrinkles and sagging ruining it in your old age, either..) =)

/ali