Sign in to follow this  
Rastl

07/14/2008 - The Lost Week

Sorry for not starting the new progress thread last week.

I'm giving myself a 6 out of 10 rating right now. Exercise had dropped off due to my schedule going all over the place. I'm more back on track now and need to get into the habit again.

Eating-wise I've still been eating less and better. An occasional dip into the naughty stuff but just a dip and I enjoy every minute of it.

And all of you?

Last week I did well, maybe a 7 out of 10...? I still struggle with weekends, though, especially holidays like the 4th. Then portion control goes out the window and junk food slides back in. Still, I may have lost a couple of pounds burning the midnight oil and sweating through giving our garage a facelift (interior). It was a wreck, depressing to come home to, and took a solid week to clear, patch, paint and organize. The storage clutter is almost gone, replaced with new work areas and useful tools & supplies. Putting one in the win column is giving me new incentive and energy to keep going in other areas, like adding exercise to the routine.

This week will still be busy and HOT, so my plan for the week is to continue working on portion control & making better choices all the way through the weekend, hydrating, and pushing forward with yard work.

Well, I was on vacation last week, and I sinned heavily :devil: I had cakes and friut jello stuff (don't know the english word for it, but it's kind of thin jam) with cream on and candy and chips and I made a final chocolate pig out to conclude the vacation :wacko:

The good news is that I was able to control it to some degree, and that I 'only' gained two pounds. But now vacation is over and I'm back to no sugar and today hasn't been as difficult as I was afraid it would be. Also I will try to establish some exercise habits from now on, other than taking my bicycle everywhere.

I'm still having great difficulty with portion control. It's as if I develop a split personality every time I sit down to have a meal - Good Reasonable Me and Bad Impulsive Me - and the meal goes like this:

GRM: "Mmm, that looks good. I'm only going to take a small portion, cause I'll probably take seconds no matter the size of this portion"

BIM: "But MAYBE I wont take seconds so I'll just grab another spoonfull now"

GRM *Blinks* and somehow doesn't notice that another spoonfull is landing on the plate

After finishing the first portion:

GRM: "I'm actually full now, I'm NOT gonna take seconds"

BIM: "But We've allready established that I'm gonna take seconds, so I'm just gonna take a small second portion"

GRM: "Well it DOES taste good...but I'm full so I wont eat anymore..."

BIM now puts more food on the plate while GRM argues, and somehow manages to eat it all before GRM catches on.

And if the food is really good this could repeat itself a third and even a fourth tme, allthough every time the portion size does get considerably smaller. But still, I have to find a way to get GRM in control...Any ideas?

Okay, I'm entering this in Notepad now in the hopes that I won't lose everything I just typed because I hit some ridiculous something on my touchpad which made my browser close (fourth time is a charm, right?)

I don't know how far I walked today, but it took me three hours to do it. I went on a cemetery tour (in New Orleans on business) and it ended far from where I expected it to. Although my legs, feet, and back were aching, I still managed to make it back to my hotel without calling a cab, and still took pictures along the way (architectural). Afterwards I found I still had enough energy (or I was merely driven by hunger) to walk a couple of blocks to a restaurant for dinner.

That is what is going to kill me. The food here is outrageous. It's so good and the doorman of the hotel, who directed me to the place, told me afterwards the food wasn't the best, but it was decent and close. I thought the gumbo was excellent, the red beans and rice yummy, and the jambalaya was quite tasty. If it wasn't considered "the best" then I'm looking at having some very good meals in the next few days. Lunch will probably be Arby's, though, since it's right next door and fast. I'll save my per diem monies for the long, leisurely dinner.

I don't know if I'll do a lot of walking tomorrow, though.

Vacation for a few days last week and had to eat on the run for the most part. Food choices were poor for the most part. Back in the saddle again though. On a small positive note, I found some clothes that I have not worn in a few years because they were too small. I tried one on this AM and it fit. (yee!)

This week = bad.

Way to hot / humid to run. Heat index wavers between 115 and 125 right now. We were at 108 degrees today, but 35% humidity :(

I am trying to do more push ups, though. At least I am doing something.

Mike

At least I am doing something.

This is the same train of thought I been working for a while now. (no really) I find that no matter what has happened during the day I work at something for myself. It's that one thing that keeps me going on.

The grocery store on an empty stomach has dictated that this week will be a decidedly unhealthy week, but on the bright side... only one pint of ice cream made it into the cart when possibly a couple quarts would have (the grocery store had Breyers quarts on sale for cheaper than a pint of Ben and Jerrys.... temptation was there).

I was seriously lazy in the exercise department last week because of working longer hours at the store, but soon as I get back to normal sleeping hours it's back on the bicycle.

Not so much walking today. About two miles, I think, during lunch. More than I have been doing, but it was a very painful trip. Tonight I'm taking some meds so I can move. The chairs during the seminars are awful.

I want to go home.

Actually, it's been a good week for me. I let go of control of other's food choices in my family, by imposing a make your choices system (and my stress level dropped dramatically). Cleaned out all the "junk food" at home. In additional started recording everything I eat again, which makes a huge difference. Excercise is so-so. I got out for some walking (under 2 miles each time) 5 times, which isn't bad, but I need to start pushing harder and longer.

Lost 5 pounds.

I guess it works.

A little better today. I had breakfast and lunch at Arby's (yeah, I know, but it was close and fast and that's what I needed). I made it to my seminars on time (the important thing) then met my co-workers for dinner on Bourbon Street. I had a grilled Mahi Mahi, one root beer and water the rest of the time and passed on the dessert, so I'm proud of myself there.

Tomorrow I plan on walking down Bourbon Street to take some pictures so I'll get some exercise in and I'll probably stop to eat somewhere along the way (of course this will all be after the meetings I have to attend).

I leave for home early Friday morning, where I will promptly collapse for a few hours before I have to pick the boys up from daycare.

I am glad to have had my laptop here, though, since it helps keep me grounded and in touch. I would have gone stir crazy without it.

Monday night I got some aerobics in - the walk-behind mower turned into a rather resistant and heavy push mower about halfway through the lawn. Then I ran the weed whacker, swept, cleared junk in the garage and hung a shop light.

I kept it light Tuesday, despite a double-birthday dinner at Red Lobster.

Ate rather badly yesterday - timing was way off with lunch/dinner at 4:00, then a little more at 8:00. Mostly it was schedule-related. Drove 100 miles round trip and spent about 3 hrs in 90+ degree temps, pulling 100 bolts and dismantling a large, heavy swing/slide/play set at a friend's house. Tonight I repeat the drive to get the set home and start putting it back together. It needs some sanding, refinishing, sealing, a few new bolts and a couple new boards, so it will probably take until Saturday before it's fully operational. Temps will be in the mid- to upper 90's through the weekend, so there should be plenty of opportunity to drink a lot of water, eat light and melt away a couple of pounds.

Another three hours of walking today, and taking pictures. Lots of pictures.

I did okay. I took my last Darvocet before I left, so I was able to make it. Walked down Canal from Decatur to Bourbon, down Bourbon to Orleans, walked around St. Louis Cathedral and Jackson Square/Pirates Alley, then down Royal for a bit, across a random street back to Bourbon, back down Bourbon, back to Royal, found a place to eat, sat for about 45 minutes and ate, then back up and down Bourbon, back to Canal, down Canal to Decatur, back to Royal, and then back to the hotel (which is at Decatur). Taking pictures most of the time.

Not once have I been "accosted" in any way. Some street people have stopped me to comment on my necklace, but I get that at work as well as just about everywhere I go, so I'm used to it. I bought some goodies for the family as well, a couple of things for me, and am back in my room waiting for room service to deliver my $12 slice of cheesecake and a ginger ale (because I want something sweet and I can't stand bread pudding or pralines).

So my single bad thing today is the cheesecake, which I haven't eaten yet, but it's almost the same cost as my dinner. Oh well.

And it just arrived, so now I'm going to take a picture then eat it. Yum!