3247 Dark Elf Sorcerer

dks

Next up in the roster of my sculpts to paint: the dark elf sorcerer, DHL 3247.

I sculpted him last summer, from Tim "Talin" Collier's excellent concept art. Several details reflect the subservience of males (even powerful sorcerers) in female-dominated dark elf society: bare feet (won't walk far from the plush carpeting of his house), bare back (can be whipped easily), emaciated physique, and binding/uncomfortable clothing. The slightly hunched pose and shifty expression show that he is never quite at ease.

I sculpted the rocks and fungi and spider on the base, as a demonstration for my "Sculpting for Basing" class at ReaperCon this year. The original integral base is still there, but I just added putty around it.

He took about 9 hours to paint. The colors are generally muted secondaries (purples, greens, oranges/browns). I enjoyed using some ideas from one of Jeremie Bonamant's classes, including a different outlook on the placement and value of highlights and shadows, warmth and coolness of colors, and painting all final highlights with the same color (here, Linen White -- to simulate that there is one light source for the entire miniature).

Enjoy,

Derek

post-2358-1216065799.jpg

post-2358-1216065816.jpg

• Like 1

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Reaper User

Great work, Derek!

I disagree with the OSL suggestion on the base...a problem I could see with doing so is that it would draw attention away from the model itself, and that would be a shame. ::): To get it to work, he could have also painted the staff with a glowing effect...but then some would say it would be too much OSL! :lol: Though now that you have brought that up, Beowulf, I am getting an inspiration to paint this piece as if it's in the Underdark with only glowing items for light sourcing. ::):

--Anne

Thanks, everyone.

There are very faint green glows around the fungi on the base and in the eyes of the skull on the staff... basically I decided that there needed to be a touch of green in those areas. Besides the faint green around the bases of the fungi, you can see some green on the sole of his raised left foot.

The swooshes on the cloak are random dabs from my brush in the first highlight color, followed by two or three highlights on the shapes that emerged, and then I cleaned up the shapes (as more distinct arcs and dots) with the base color. Subtle orange and green glazes finished it off.

I look forward to seeing a glowy Underdark model from Anne! ::):

Derek

• Artists

He looks terrific. I think you really captured what you were going for in terms of characterization with the sculpt, and the paint does a great job of enhancing that. The eyes and the clothing patterning particularly stand out for me, but I also like how the highlighting on his chest piece and pale hair frame the face.