berzerker minotaur

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a bad start, I can see the bull head , once you get the forehead with the horns it will really come together. Just some advice, take it with a grain of salt but I would use one type of putty and get good with it to start with, I can't imagine trying to learn the qualities and working times of 3 kinds of putty. Also, when you add a blob and shape it to what you want always make sure to smooth it into the other layer of putty so you don't have seems, this will save you a ton of time in the later steps. If you intend to add a shaggy type of hair to this guys I guess it wont really matter but if your going for a smooth hide/coat like a real bull smoothing as you go will help. I like it so far, can't wait to see it finished.

Yeah, the musculature and the start of the head are very dynamic! An auspicious start, especially for just a second sculpt!

Be clear, though, about whether you are adding putty as a finished surface or as understructure. The volume of this figure suggests a finished surface, but it isn't smoothed/textured like a finished surface. If you try to put a "skin" layer on top of these muscles, you might find the final result to be too big. The final layer of putty will be thicker, in scale, than a layer of real skin is. You will probably need to keep your understructure slimmer than you expect.

(My tough experience: When I was sculpting the 50mm-tall Shadow King, the first version of his legs was thicker than the muscular-but-graceful build I intended. I had put on too much muscle before adding the final layer. I spent a couple of hours scraping the legs down, but eventually I realized that I had to slice off the whole surface, down to a thin understructure, and resculpt the legs entirely. Several hours of work were suddenly obsolete, but the result was a lot better IMO. The attached pic shows the post-scraping bad legs on the left, and the redone legs on the right.)

Derek

post-2358-1216435278_thumb.jpg

This has been good. I find myself right now really looking to see if I can capture anatomical balance and gesture. I have been employing reduction as a sculpting method heavily and the finish looks like crap to say the least. I think I may just take this as far as I can with the rough finish until I feel satisfied with all muscle groups and balance than shave off a layer as I have been and make deep cuts between muscle groups to account for a final smooth layer, in effect having a nearly filled out armature. I have been slaying this piece with my dremel...the good thing is I can always add and subtract more. Maybe I will find that balance. It may be a waste of putty and working time but I have to learn somehow.

post-3899-1216603317_thumb.jpg

Nice torso! It seems right overall for the pose that you've chosen, i.e. holding an axe in front of him, with both of the arms below shoulder level, and the back rounded/hunched a bit. If the arms were spread or raised, the pecs would flatten; just raising one arm would raise that pec (and nipple) and open the ribcage on that side; pulling the shoulders back would flatten the lats; etc.... ::):

Don't worry about wasting putty as you learn. Eventually you'll know exactly how much to mix, how much to apply at each stage, etc. (I'm still far from such expertise!) ::P:

Also, scraped Green Stuff is fine for a finished surface as long as the blade is very sharp; and you can put a tiny bit of petroleum jelly (or other non-evaporating lubricant) over the scraped surface to make it look more like the unscraped Green Stuff next to it.

Derek