transferring paint to dropper bottles

Inarah

Anyone got advice from prior experience? I am considering putting my GW paints into dropper bottles in hopes it will keep them from drying up. I have about 6 pots of colour and a few inks. Is there a "good" way of doing this? I'm worried the GW paint might be too thick for the dropper tip, especially the metallics.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Reaper User

I've done this a couple of times and you pretty much have to thin the GW paints to get them to pour nicely into the dropper bottles. This eliminates the problem of whether they are too thick for the dropper tips afterwards, though. :;): Thin with flow improver (any brand, really) and you may find that your GW paints work better than they originally did--when I stopped working for my local GW store, the guys all complained because there was no one to secretly "doctor" the store paints anymore and they had to go back to the old thick sludge! :lol: None of 'em were willing to risk the wrath of the cell manager by buying the W&N flow improver and adding the stuff themselves. :;):

--Anne

I've never bothered with funnels. The paints I've transferred from older RPP and GW 'bullet' bottles poured fine from pot to bottle. A craft brush, toothpick or stir stick can be used to pull the rest out of the pot with less waste than the part left in a funnel.

Yep, use a tooth pick across the top of the bottle when you pour. The flow of paint will focus around the tooth pick and pour cleanly. Once that is done - go ahead and scrape down the sides to get the remainder in the bottom of the bottle and pour that out as well.

If you want to go the funnel route, you can normally get disposable plastic funnels from companies which sell dropper bottles in bulk. The ones which I buy for doing resin work are around 2 cents each ($20 or so per 100). No need to clean, just toss them out.

Like Anne, I would recommend using a thinner of some sort. Normally they work just fine without any thinner in the dropper bottles - but since I usually end up thinning anyway...I go ahead and take care of that right away when I transfer the paints.

I had a bottle of gear oil in the garage. If you notice they have a screw off top. The top comes to a point and you cut off the tip of the point to get the oil to pour out. I simply unscrewed the top off, cut the tip, and used that as a funnel. I'm sure you've seen the type of tip before on many other bottles; probably have one laying around the house you could use.

It was still a messy, painstaking, process. The inks transfer easy enough. My paints were pretty much sludge though. I'd actually try the toothpick method Joe mentions first after thinning them down like Anne said. A funnel sounds like a good idea, and I thought it was too, but by the end I was pretty much completely annoyed with it because you waste a lot of paint (sticks to the funnel), have to clean the funnel between every paint (I only had one funnel), it was still a big mess, and the paint poured like tree sap (which is why Anne suggests thinning them down).

The easiest way for me was to use a syringe. If you know someone in the medical field ask them for a 10cc syringe ( no needle, or one with an 18 or 16 gage blunt needle), or you can go to the drug store and ask for one. Then you can just suck the paints out of the pots and put them in the bottles. Rinse the syringe out in between colors. If you have trouble finding a syringe PM me, I have a few laying around.

Hope it Helps,

John Lee