Sign in to follow this  
LunchBox

Chicago Golden Demon Entries

The only other shots I may have are on my CMON gallery, and really the only thing there you'd see is individual pics of each multi-model piece.

I use the occasional GW bit in the bases, but the vast majority is just random stuff. Here's a list of some of the materials I like to use:

plasticard

plastic "cardboard"...like the stuff they make the USPS mail baskets out of - I use this to get elevation

various pebbles, sand, slate chips, etc

ground sprue; I dump old sprue into a meat grinder to churn out rubble

plastic I-beams

GW razor wire

*To bulk out the bases, I use unsanded grout in the pre mixed tub as my 'filler'. It dries reasonably fast, doesn't shrink, and has a nice gritty texture. It paints pretty well with a few washes to saturate the color in, then drybrush lighter, and finish off with glazes of whatever color I used in the models. I usually stick stuff (above) in it before it dries to add some depth and realism.

With the recent release of Chronoscope, I may do an urban basing/display tutorial in the near future.

I may not be going back to Games Day for a couple of years since my wife is staying home with the baby, and we're living off my ENORMOUS teacher's salary. Most of what I paint this year will be either to rebuild my 40K army, and to sell on Ebay for extra cash.

*Fair warning though...I have already planned out my Rcon entry for next year... :devil:

Nice. Thanks for the basing overview. I plod through my basing by scratch-sculpting almost everything, but I'm sure there are more efficient ways to get good (and even better) results! ::P:

Whatever you do paint in the coming year, please show it off here.

And congratulations on the baby. ::):

Derek

Nice. Thanks for the basing overview. I plod through my basing by scratch-sculpting almost everything, but I'm sure there are more efficient ways to get good (and even better) results! ::P:

Whatever you do paint in the coming year, please show it off here.

And congratulations on the baby. ::):

Derek

Thanks...perhaps there might be a spot for me in next year's Rcon...we'll see!

Anne...I'm planning on being at the shop this Saturday.

Sigh, once again I can't be at the Asylum on a Saturday and won't be able to ogle at these things in the flesh. Beautiful work, as always, thanks for sharing and congrats on the wins.

Congratulations on your well deserved wins! Your work is fantastic, and I always look forward to seeing your latest & greatest.

*To bulk out the bases, I use unsanded grout in the pre mixed tub as my 'filler'. It dries reasonably fast, doesn't shrink, and has a nice gritty texture. It paints pretty well with a few washes to saturate the color in, then drybrush lighter, and finish off with glazes of whatever color I used in the models. I usually stick stuff (above) in it before it dries to add some depth and realism.

When you use the unsanded grout for basing, do you actually prepare a batch of grout as if you were about to use it for tiling? Or do you apply it dry to a base prepared with glue?

have you tried to use sanded grout? I imagine that would show quite a bit of texture as well

I have been using quick dry, drywall compound as my base filler, I never thought to use the unsanded grout I have

Actually, I use the "repair size" premixed tub...it's about $6, and lasts a while. I scoop some out with a large blade sculpting tool, and contour it in, then pat the top a little to raise some of the texture, and smooth out the little "trowel lines". The only down side to that it that it's very abrasive, and if a metal mini tips over and hits it, it sometimes scratches the paint. I also used various drywall & spackling materials on occasion.