So last night I went into work. It marked my 15th year anniversary at Albertson's. I started off a courtesy clerk, but knew I didn't want to do that so I jumped over into day stocking then eventually I went to full freight throwing at night & I've been there ever since. Over time of course I've been the freight boss, dropped out of that spot & went over to frozen & then came back, went to the dairy dept for a few months but eventually found my way back on nights. Now I'm freight boss & frozen manager. It's funny in a way it doesn't feel like I've been there that long, but in other ways it does. Of course not all has been peachy while I've been there. I've been wrote once or twice but overall I'm one of the best workers in that store, along with a co-worker who has been there 25+ years.

In the time that I've been there I've gotten married (met my wife there, as she was & still is a employee there), this September will be our 11th anv. We've had 2 kids (10 & 6). At the end of this month, we'll have owned our house for 5 years. So my out of work life hasn't been wasted & such. Sad thing is some way I've felt like I've wasted 15 years of my life, while working/being there, but I've gotten to know a few good friends & the money has been pretty good. As I said we have a house, I can support my hobbies & such, so that I'm not complaining about. I think if I would have went to college & finished what I tried to start there & did something then yah I'd be ok & such. I'm 35 so it's not like I'm too old to learn new tricks & such, but maybe it's the 15 years at one place talking to me, but I don't feel like doing that right now. I guess you could say I'm comfortable where I'm at.

Funny, I can remember that first day on the job. I had to work an hour or so extra that day. I guess you could say it was a sign of things to come. ha ha.

RM

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I read your post and got to thinking...what exactly is wasting your life? You seem like you have done what you wanted and what you enjoy. Not everyone needs to go to college to be whole, for many you are indeed living the American Dream, that is something to be proud of.

Hell, for someone with a Masters, I suspect you make more money then I do and I would love to be in a commited relationship...not sure about kids, I am the kind of father that would leave a car carrier on the car or leave a kid at the grocery store.

As for not always having the money you want...welcome to life....everyone wants: the fat guy wants to be skinny, the midgit wants to be taller, I could toss in a few more examples but they are pretty blue, but you get the point.

That sounds like something to say congratulations about. 15 years at one place can be a bit of an oddity nowadays. The way companies up-size and down-size and super-size, it's a good thing to have a job for that long. And it also says something about your character to a point, not being like some people who go somewhere else for another 50 cents an hour at the drop of a hat regardless of what kind of future there might be at the other place.

I know quite a few Albertson's have closed down in my neck of the woods in the last few years. I have a niece that's been with them for about 10 years now. It was her first job at 16 while she was still in high school and she's been with them since. Luckily she hasn't been caught up in any of the store closings.

So have you always been with Albertson's? Down here we used to have Skagg's which became Skagg's Alpha-Beta, which then became Jewel-Osco, and maybe something else after that, and then finally Albertson's. Only reason I know all that is because my brother and his wife met at Skagg's a loooooong time ago and were with the company through all the changes.

I just finished my 15th year of teaching in May... now I am starting a new teaching job at my old high school... very very different walking down the halls as a teacher and not the student.

Haldir, I salute you on staying with your company... it is a rare thing now days..

I think its natural to think back of what you may have tried. We all do that.

But, from the outside looking in, you have what a lot of others only dream of; stable and decent job, dependable income, and a family that you are able to enjoy some time with.

I am not familiar with Alberstsons as company, but it sounds like there are chance for progression into higher managament (sounds like you have already done some of that as well)

Congrats on 15 yrs with A's and Congrats for your 11th Anniversary!!

SO, if there's something you REALLY want to do, in particular, then see about training for it. If not, start saving money and see about setting up some decent long-term investments: heaps of free financial info and so on at The Motley Fool, whatever your goals are.

EDIT: they pimp for subscriptions but have a LOT of free info nevertheless.

Congrats! I only made it 5 years in the grocery store biz (HEB - from checker to assistant service manager/bookkeeper and jack of all trades) until I had to get out. At the time, it was good money, it supported my wife and me, and they always offered courses and room for advancement. Heck, they paid for 75% of my college!

I certainly know what it's like to be good at other things and to have a sort of calling I am not living up to. I think a lot of us would rather be somewhere else in our employment. I am an optimist, though, and I tend to think it is never too late to get those balls rolling. 35 is definitely not too late.

On the other hand, like you, over a long period of time, I have come up from a much lower position to my current one in my organization. That's something to be happy about, so congratulations. It's nice to be able to look back and say you stuck with something and can trace real advancement throughout.

As others have said, you should be proud of 15 years. That's a rarity these days. I'm not one to switch jobs at the drop of hat, but in that same fifteen years, I've had 7 jobs, most thanks to external pressure forcing me to move on (layoffs, transfers, company closings, etc).

Thirty five is definitely not too late to get a degree, either - I didn't get mine until I was 34 - at which time my Grandmother confessed to me that she didn't get her's until she was 48!. One thing to consider though - if you go for a degree in a completely different field, you'll probably have to start over again. That can be hard. Instead, go for a degree in something that would be useful to your chances of promotion at Albertson's, and I think you'll find that it will be useful in all sorts of jobs you could get with your current skill set. General business degree's are useful in all sorts of fields, I'm sure there are a couple other candidate degree's as well.

Oh yeah, and when you go for that degree - don't forget to look into alternate means of getting credits - no point in retaking a math or english class if you're a wiz at it and can test for the credits. Life experience, job training, etc can often be turned into credits depending on the college and how knowledgable and helpful the counselor is. That can shave a lot of time off getting a degree.

I lasted a few months at a grocery store as a carry-out clerk for Safeway. I was sixteen.

This coming February I will have been with the IRS for a whopping ten years.

It's the third full-time job I've ever had. I can count all the jobs I've been paid for (including those two-week summer jobs while in high school and one part-time horror story of a telemarketer job) on two hands and still have 30% of my fingers left over (do the math). I plan on retiring from the IRS.

Congratulations on making it so long in your work and marriage.

I'll admit the card-flopper geek that I am thought that "15 years" title meant the upcoming anniversary of Magic: the Gathering, which once GenCon fires up will be that game's 15th anniversary. However, 15 years working for the same company is amazing! It's something I've never managed to pull off (yet).

I've only ever had a couple of jobs, the Navy being the bulk of my employment history and a job I was almost sad to leave (long story short, it was change ratings or get out... I opted for the latter because the former sucked worse). Aside from that I've been a lifeguard, a kitchen gofer, and worked at a television station before the Navy and afterwards well.... I own a gaming store, which I see being my career field until death do us part with the occasional foray into warehouse labor as financial needs require (this year, I need a new car so off to Bean's I go).

As for college, my mother did her student teaching at the ripe ol' age of 41, finished a double bachelors in English and Spanish the following year. 35 is not too old to go to college and if all goes well, I'll be heading back to college myself soon enough only a few years behind you at 32. :poke: