Sign in to follow this  
Beowulfthehunter

Recomend me some Anime

Re: Akira, there may be some nostalgia behind it (and the animation is still very good), but IIRC it was one of the first "big" titles to come to the US unaltered. Previous to this most anime that made it into actual release tended to be adulterated in some way -- changed in order to appeal (so the producers thought) to a wider US market. Thus all the changes that went into shows like Battle of the PLanets, Tranzor Z, Voltron, Robotech, etc. in an attempt to make them more "kid friendly." Akira was one of the first presentations that began to change that, and IIRC was one of the founding items in a larger anime fandom...

Damon, was there when it was first released.

Re: Akira, there may be some nostalgia behind it (and the animation is still very good), but IIRC it was one of the first "big" titles to come to the US unaltered. Previous to this most anime that made it into actual release tended to be adulterated in some way -- changed in order to appeal (so the producers thought) to a wider US market. Thus all the changes that went into shows like Battle of the PLanets, Tranzor Z, Voltron, Robotech, etc. in an attempt to make them more "kid friendly." Akira was one of the first presentations that began to change that, and IIRC was one of the founding items in a larger anime fandom...

Damon, was there when it was first released.

there is a lot of truth to that. I still enjoy Akira, though I think I need to look for the Criterion version (different to the Hong Kong dub that was theatrically released in the US back in 1990 (I saw it on the big screen at preview press screening a few days before it opened).

Yes.. Robotech is a timeless series.. the only bad thing about it is all the Minmei singing crap gets really old... Also keep an eye out for Macross... it's Robotech, but not the american edited version... about 80% similar i'd say, but still worth watching before/after you've seen all the robotech stuff.... BTW... the first and third "seasons" of robotech are the best ones, especially the third one IMO.. the second one was kinda meh.

Thanks for the imput. I have seen Akira...sorry not impressed I have no idea what the hoopla is about.

Your age (and whippersnapper-ness? whippernapper-osity?) is showing. As others have stated, you had to have been there.

Akira is simply a good film at any time. But even if you disagree, and even without being there, if you just look at the dates on what you are watching, and see the quality of what came before Akira, you can see that Akira drew a line in the sand between what was and what all of this has become. Most of what you will like in anime is in some way a child of Akira's impact on the scene. And there is no doubt Akira had an effect on American animation, as well.

It's like saying you weren't impressed by Gone With The Wind or The Wizard of Oz, or 2001 or the original cut of the first Star Wars movie. Put it in context. We hadn't seen anything like it before. A lot of what is good afterward is an homage or an imitation.

For trying out anime, I highly recommend using Netflix. Although their selection isn't huge, it's growing everyday and they even have some anime for streaming "watch it now" over highspeed net.

As far as matching your catagory choices, I don't anything really new to add (there have already been some great titels named, and I especially nod to Neon Genesis and LAIN). I can list a few newer shows that I love but they are goint to cross into your possible dislikes. All I can say is, give even shows you might dismiss right off a try... I found some really great jewls that way. And, if you use Netflix or another rental type service, watch the previews listed in special features. Just about every dvd has them and it's a good way to find out about more anime.

Akira is simply a good film at any time. But even if you disagree, and even without being there, if you just look at the dates on what you are watching, and see the quality of what came before Akira, you can see that Akira drew a line in the sand between what was and what all of this has become. Most of what you will like in anime is in some way a child of Akira's impact on the scene. And there is no doubt Akira had an effect on American animation, as well.

This is not necccessarily true. Akira was predated by Macross the Movie by at least a few years. Macross the Movie (basically a retelling of the Macross show, using big budget anime) had spectacular animation quality (I own a HK dub copy I got at a comic con in the late '80s). This was around '85 or so...

It is, however, true when discussing the US market.

Damon.

I still remember when I was a freshly-minted teenager and the nightly news was talking about the graphic violence in Akira. At the time for a lot of kids my age that was unthinkable. I still remember (back when I was a bit younger) seeing Transformers the Movie in the theater, and asking my dad when seeing Transformers killed for the first time, "Are they allowed to do that??"