Ancient City Con Painting Contest

Bryan

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's funny, it comes right up on my computer, using IE6 w/ SP2. While I don't have a personal picture site (Flickr, Photobucket, and the like), I think you can view the forums at Dakka without having an account or being signed in. Try this link, its the pics of all my minis. The model in question is second to last on the page.

My Reaper/DND painted models

When I tested this, it came up with a forum advert as though I viewed it witout being signed in...

Thanks everyone!

@Buglips: I had the opportunity to paint with the new Pro Paints at the con. Melanie was there supporting Reaper with a painting clinic and had gads of master series (which I use quite a bit of) and put the whole line on the table to sample. I was very impressed, nice smooth coverage, easily diluted with water. They dried a bit quick for my tastes but that was fixed with a bit of drying retardant and I didn't have good results with the flesh wash, though, too brownish.

@Mercoutlaw: I use Krylon Multisurface Grey. The grittiness is probably from the humidity here in Florida. It's hard to get a smooth coat even on a nice dry day. It could also be the matte coat... it tends to be a bit fuzzy for the same reason. I've used quite a few spray primers with similar results. I tried the brush-on primer in the master series, but didn't like it much. I use it for hitting spots that the spray primer misses to ensure good coverage. I thought the priest was pretty smooth, though... were you referring to other models on the page?

By flesh wash, do you mean the ink? I wasn't planning on buying that anyway, never use the stuff.

Master Series paints are very good, but they just don't thrill me. I haven't painted a mini in more than a year. But a new Pro Paint line... that got the blood pumping.

Mebbe I'm just weird. It's a distinct possibility.

Thanks again!

@Buglips: The Flesh Wash was listed as exactly that on the jar of Reaper Pro at the con. I'd place it as similar to an ink... it diluted with water easily and I was able to obtain the "skim milk" pigment suspension with water alone and it kept it's acrylic consistency nicely. My grief was with the pigment base itself which was a very flat, neutral brown color that was a bit dark.

I admittedly am used to using Games Workshop's (gasp!) flesh wash which has a warmer tone, a bit more leathery/tanned skin and I admit that I probably didn't dilute it enough, but it looked fairly pale. That being said, if I had diluted it a bit more or used an acrylic medium to thin it some, it probably would've worked better. The poor monk that I was painting looked less "oriental" and more "dirty".

Other than that one problem, the pro paints were heaven. My wife, whom, it should be said, had only painted once before in her life oohed when she used them. She particularly liked the metallics, Blue Steel, Red Steel, Pure Silver, and the one we both liked: Moon Silver. This is a very pale silver with a very nice interference to give it a blue/purple when viewed at an angle. Very nice! My wife asked me why I don't use these paints! I'm going to have the friendly local game store order them ASAP.

Cool, it probably was the ink or 'flesh wash' just mixed for the occasion. I used an ink once, 14-15 years ago. Ral Partha, I think. It wasn't very good, so I swore off 'em.

I was eyeing that Moon Silver, it looks very interesting. I plan to do some serious monkeying around with a set of PP's.

Cool, it probably was the ink or 'flesh wash' just mixed for the occasion. I used an ink once, 14-15 years ago. Ral Partha, I think. It wasn't very good, so I swore off 'em.

Uh-uh, no, it was labeled very specifically "Flesh Wash" on the original label, not a specialty mix made by the clinic rep. The Partha inks weren't so good (their paints were amazing though - I still have most of my originals and they work beautifully) but the GW inks were okay if a bit shiny. Try their new washes though, very easy to use and ads nice depth to your work.

Huh, weird. The new Pro Paint line has a brown-looking Flesh Ink, but no Flesh Wash. Temp label or labelling error maybe. I don't know. The Flesh Ink looks like the closest thing to what you mean, though. Lol, I have no explanation for it. I can only offer confusion. :-p

I checked the Pro Paint line up and you're right, it does show it listed as Flesh Ink. This may have been a pre-release label though, since it was a rep doing the show...