New minis! Would like some comments please. Trying to be a better painter!

Darius Glenwell

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, I think you are a solid painter as it is right now. The blending on the Green Cloak looks great.

But since you want tips to improve and not just your ego stroked I would say, work on your shadows, you need more gradition as you go from dark to light with very little blending. Your metallics could use a bit of work.

OK, so you asked for an honest critique, so I'll give you just that. ::):

Warrior with Bird:

- Excellent and smooth layering/blending on the blue armor. It is a bit too blue for NMM, so it looks more like blue armor than metal (I am assuming though that this is what you were going for since you used metalics for the sword), and the technique is well executed.

- The bird looks great the darklining on the feathers really make them pop and the blending is good. Nice color choice, it goes well with the mini.

- The leather trim is well done. Your highlighing makes it very leathery.

- The cloak is a good color choice, but you progress to sharply from dark to light. Go for a much more gradual transition from the shadows to the highlights. You did this well on the blue armor, but on the cloak it is so abrupt that it doesn't look natural.

- The red sash is well done. I like the yellow free hand, it is clean and follows the folds appropriately. In the future, try painting black or dark brown first, and then put the yellow stripe on top of the black, leaving a little black edge on either side of the yellow (I think it was Annne who suggested this to me once). It will really make the freehand look clear and crisp (see the shield on this guy: Beowulf).

- The chainmail looks very well done. The blade, however looks a bit rough. Maybe try thinning the metalic paint a bit more, or use a brand with smaller metallic flakes (like MSP) so you can thin it.

- The base is not bad, though it could use a bit more dressing. It looks a bit bland. A little static grass and/or flocking between the rocks would go a long way.

On a general note, if you can set the F-Stop on your camera, set it to an 8. You will get more depth in focus on the mini. I notice on these that the front detail is a bit fuzzy.

I don't have time to critique the rest right now. Let me know if this is of value to you and if so I'll try to do the others later.

Well done.

Andy

hello, It's morning for me after working a gruelling 12 hrs on the graveyard shift so dont know weather it's me or my eyes from the sunlight, but they look kind of glossy to me. Are you using dullcote to seal them? If not would recomend, over all nice work on the minis.

The improved photo-fu makes a big difference on how your figures look.

A little glossy, as with the other ones' but I take it that is more due to them being "working" figures as much as what you had at the time/resources.

Nice work all round so far, so do some more rumaging around the tutes.

That GW dark elf looks like he's pre-2k.

Wow!! Thank you all for the advice and comments. They are very well received here!! To have my work called professional means a lot to me. I have been talking with Linus for a bit now and have taken so much info and inspiration from him over the last few years that to read that they can see his influence in my work is very humbling to me. I hope to aspire to his level of painting some day.

As to the comment about using dullcoat. I do use a matte sealant now. The Hill Troll (which is one of my favorites) has been coated 5 times. Twice with semi-gloss and 3 times with matte. Can't seem to get the shine out of my minis! LOL!

Tombwalker! I have no idea about the GW Dark elf. A dear friend of ours died very suddenly last Dec. and his parents gave me all of his miniatures. Some I had painted for him and others he hadn't even taken out of the blister pack yet. The dark elf was bouncing around in a plastic bag with about 30 other miniatures and no labeling on any of them. Had to find a base to put him on along with the high elf in the 1st pic.

I will be taking all of your advice and working harder on my transitions. Thanks again!

:blues:

I used a minwax semi-gloss sealant, but don't use it any more. The matte sealant I use in the Krylon matte sealer. I shake the can for about a minute before spraying. Yes I use the flash. If I didn't the pics would be to dark. I'm going to try taking pics outside in the morning here to get some good natural light.

I use Testors Dullcote for my flat finishes. It goes on over a sealer coat of future. I picked this trick up decaling model airplanes and tried it to see if it transferred over to minis. It did, quite well by my estimation. It gives them protection from wear and a real sweet flat finish.

Stinky stuff, though. Use in a WELL ventilated area or those fumes will leave you high and stupid for days. Lol.

Also, if you use Dullcote, apply it in multiple, LIGHT coats. Under the right conditions any pooling of the dullcoate can lead to it turning white in those areas. I struggled with this for a year before I realized that I was just putting it on too heavy.

TS

Go to Big Lots, Wal Mart or wherever and get yourself a couple of desklamps and put a couple of bright lightbulbs in them. I like CFLs for this as incandescents get a bit warm. Then you can get away from using the flash. I use Future under Krylon Matte and while there's still some sheen, it's not bad.