Sign in to follow this  
wildbill

Dungeon Crawl Rules

I know that some time back Gus offered up a document containing all kinds of new and wondrous creatures that could be used in a dungeon crawl, but did not offer any rules on how to play a dungeon. Well, your good ol' buddy Wild Bill is here once again to save the day. :poke:

However, I did not use any of the creatures that were offered up in the Dungeon Encounters list. I felt that there were more than enough models to be used in Warlord for monsters in a dungeon crawl. The online search database is incredibly robust, and without it, this set of dungeon crawl rules would not be possible. :wub:

Warwick, my co-worker Mark (not on the forums) and I playtested these rules and found that they worked fairly well. Now, this is by no means the end-all be-all of dungeon crawl rules, and should not be taken as such. These are just a suggestion of something you can do for fun on your typical game night. ::):

And speaking of typical, the dungeon example I provided is just that: an example. Feel free to expand the dungeon as much as you want. The map in the pdf is probably the smallest dungeon you would want to play with and still expect to have fun. But, before you start posting questions immediately about the rules, I ask that you play a game first and then come back if you have questions still. Most things will probably be made clear at that point. ::):

Enjoy!

Wild Bill :blues:

Dungeon Crawl Rules

Edited by wildbill

My first impression is that I really like the size of your map baed on the given rules suggestion of 7 rooms. I like the size because it forces players to overlap with other players. I might go so far as to say that the map hould have more overlapping. That would be pretty cool.

The only thing I found a little confusing was the actual wording used to describe the model that has to make the immediate charge when spotinga monster in the hallway. The same description for the same situation that happens in a room instead of a hallway cleared it up, but needs to be said a little better in both spots. I thin I get the jist of what it is saying, but the actual description needs just a little word tweaking.

I will definitely give this a try out soon.

Yeah, that's why I asked for you to play the dungeon crawl first before asking too many questions. It's easier that way. We did the same thing the first time we played. There were all kinds of scribbles on my copy of the rules, which eventually morphed into what I posted. Hopefully when you play it it makes more sense. ::):

I am seeing a possibility of playing it at least alittle this coming Friday. Would be an interesting twist to our usual game night play.

I know that some time back Gus offered up a document containing all kinds of new and wondrous creatures that could be used in a dungeon crawl, but did not offer any rules on how to play a dungeon. Well, your good ol' buddy Wild Bill is here once again to save the day. :poke:

Dungeon Crawl Rules

:blink:

I didn't know that a dungeon monster list existed! Do you still have that file by chance?

::D:

Wow...I forgot all about posting this over 3 years ago! :wacko:

I don't have my flash drive handy, because I think I have updated the Dungeon Crawl since then. I'll have to double check and see tomorrow. If I have, then I'll let everyone know and have you PM me your e-mail address so I can e-mail it to you. If I don't have an updated one, then what is on the link is it! I do have a gut feeling that I have messed with it over the last 3 1/4 years! :lol:

Well, I got the linked version, and I got some from Castlebuilder recently, but I really hope that monster encounter list can be found somewhere.

Either way, thanks for the work that's already been done.

So, it turns out my gut instinct was correct: I had changed it up some, especially since Warlord 2.0 came out. I put in monsters that were only available in the Core Rulebook, as Savage North hadn't been released yet. But, if anyone wants a copy of the latest version of it, feel free to PM me your e-mail address and I would be more than happy to send it you. ::):

Like I said in my opening post, it is just a version of a dungeon crawl that we've played here in Tulsa and makes us happy. Feel free to tweak it as you want. ::):

One really fun way to do monsters is to take everything. Your monster table is half designated monsters, such as spiders, rats, goblins, and such. The rest of the chart breaks it up by base size. If you roll small base, you hold out all the data cards for the small base monsters you brought, and the player picks which monster he faces. When I do it this way I hold out the cards and say, "Pick your poison".