Santa Carlito Zombie Republic

Hey I've got the Savage Worlds Test Drive rules, 20 Zombies, and a number of survivor types. I'd like to start a Savage Worlds campaign for my group set on the ficticious Caribbean island republic of Santa Carlito. Of course I plan to get the Explorers Edition soon but I'd like to do an "Outbreak" senerio to kick off the campaign using the Savage Worlds Test Drive rules. Any suggestions for senerio and encounter ideas?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of zombie fiction nowadays is blending the traditional Romero style Z's with the NAZ or New Age Zombie's as I call them. lol Some zombie's are 'shamblers', the stilted, slow walking zombie's Romero created, while others are 'sprinters' or fast movers like the Dawn of the Dead remake had them be. I'd say make it a mix, have initial encounters with newly infected be sprinters. Your players kill them and within xx amount of time or turns they come back from the dead, maybe just next turn, as shamblers. Unless of course you kill the sprinter with a head shot, then they cannot reanimate. Anyone (NPC's) nearby that get attacked, become infected and are sprinters, until killed then they reanimate into shamblers unless headshot. This way you get a steady stream of a mix of Z's to deal with, nice nasty stuff to throw at your playing group. Oh and sprinters are just like us, they take damage and die like a regular human being. Only difference with them is they run wildly after their prey as the infection turns them psycho, but they're fragile enough to drop easy. Reanimated ones need a headshot or decap to kill.

I'd also recommend taking a look at All Things Zombie by Two Hour Wargames. Has a great way to play out scenario's or even whole campaigns in the book and best part is, you can play solo and leave the zombie's to the game system. Nice way to test out a scenario or campaign before throwing a group into the mix and the GM can control the zombies if he wants. The Chain Reaction rule book this game is based on before they made this, is available for free download.

I also recently got "All Flesh Must Be Eaten". I think it's a great game! It's easy-going on the rules, but they make sense and aren't too complicated. It's also free-form enough (and has enough information) so that you can play any kind of zombie campaign you want. I highly recommend it.

Definitely happy the zombie genre is getting the love it deserves, we need more survival horror zombie games!

Heh, I agree with the first part of that, but not the second...

A friend and I were talking about 'the perfect zombie game', at least in our opinion. We were going so far as to begin to flesh out our own RPG to do just that. Then I read 'All Flesh...', and immediately scrapped the work we had already done. The 'perfect' zombie game (or as near as humans can probably make it) IMHO has already been made. With their rules and what you bring to the table (the parameters and flavor you want to see), it's all there.

In fact, except for the 'each shot may bring more zombies' mechanic (which I love and can easily be added), the basic rules are simple enough that you could very easily use them even for zombie skirmish and replace 'All Things Zombie'! <gasp>

I know, I sound like I work for them, but I don't. And I'm not saying this is the greatest product 'evar!' But I do think it's just about the greatest Zombie Survival RPG product that there could be. It's simply that they set out to do one thing (zombie survival horror RPG) and got it right. Seems to me any other game treading the same territory would just be re-inventing the wheel.

Sounds good. I like the whole zombie, horror/survival style which fits with a zombie apocalypse flavor much better than having smart zombies which goes against what zombies are. Doing that, you're just playing a D&D style game and IMO the whole fun with fighting zombies is making choices on what to kill and how to kill them without bringing more Z's to your door, so you can stay alive. I'll have to check that one out too. Does it allow for solo play, which to me is very important.

Hmmm...regarding solo play, I can't recall if they specifically cover that or not. If not, I'm sure you could work something out, but I konw that's not what you're looking for. I'll take a look the next couple days and see if there is any mention of it in the rule book.

Cool, I appreciate it. It's kind of hard to get a group together for zombie play, everyone just wants to play WH and I have zero interest in that. lol Also, it's nice to be able to play solo so that you can test out scenario/campaign setups on your own easier for when you can bring in people to play.

I looked through the rules again but I didn't see anything talking about solo-play (I didn't even find them mentioning 'recommended number of players'). But, like I said, you can check it out and see if you can get a workable solo system going. I still highly recommend "All Flesh Must Be Eaten" for all your zombie survival needs! :rolleyes:

Sorry I couldn't find the information you were seeking.