Well... this could suck...

Helltown

After giving up hope that there'd be an article about Olympic swimming that didn't in some way involve Michael Phelps, I checked the front page of Yahoo and found this bit of news...Rocky Horror remake is in the works.

I remember the first time I went to a midnight showing of Rocky Horror (the original) and getting to see all the guys dressed up as Frankenfurter, the audience in almost it's entirety reciting the whole movie and my own mother tossing me up on the stage for the RH Virgin auction (proceeds going to further restore the old theater we were about to watch the movie in).

Squirt guns were shot while the majority of the audience hid under their Cleveland Plains Dealer, Bics were flicked, and rice was most certainly tossed. People jumped up and did the Time Warp in the aisles, and it had to be the most fantastic movie experience I've ever had. We went at least once a month after the first time, sometimes dragging my Dad along or friends. After I moved out of the house, I still went. When I got to Norfolk and got a car, my first objective was to find someplace to go see Rocky Horror (although not armed with a Plains Dealer, little harder to get in VA than northeast Ohio).

I just don't see the modern megaplex cinemas wanting any of that to happen in their theaters and that's half the fun of Rocky Horror.

What does everyone else think? Mad Jack, you've got to have an opinion on this one...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoyed a few midnight trips way way way way way back in high school to said time warp.

But, then I had more than a few overtly awkward experiences of being hit on by a person of the same sex. And decided that my life was warped enough. Havent really eer been back since.

It was fun at the time and at that age. But, just because I did enjoy it and I really wouldnt have a problem if they ever did find their way to it, which I am sure they will, can't say that I would ever want to take my kids to that environment.

I've only seen it at the theatre once. Waaaay back in highschool there was a really crappy three-plex cinema in our town that was closing down (likely could not pass the fire code anymore), so for the last week they were open, they ran Rocky Horror.

Dude..that place was trashed by the last night (the night I went). I honestly believe the theatre owners gave up on cleaning up after each screening. The auditorium was covered in popcorn, bits of toast, pieces of what I hope were cocktail sausages, and other sticky stuff which I dearly hope was spilled cola.

Somehow I suspect that the new swanky theatres will actually be frisking moviegoers for such things at the ticket gate. Somehow I suspect that Helltown is right. It will suck.

Oh but hold on a moment. Do you REALLY believe that there is not any film out there which cannot be made more betterer by adding in a Spielbergesque speech, some theme music by Elton John, a gratuitous Kevin Smith cameo, or the liberal application of flashy camera angles and exaggerated cockney accents?

Well... do ya.... punk? ::D:

Not an RH fan myself - saw the movie on video first, then tried to go see it once - walked out less than halfway through. That experience wasn't for me, though pretty much everyone else was enjoying themselves. The movie itself is pretty bad, and even though it wasn't my cup of tea, it was definitely better in a theater with a bunch of people enjoying themselves than it was on video.

As far as I can see, RH is the experience, not the movie itself. I fail to see how a remake will foster that experience any better than the original. If they try anything to improve the movie, they're probably going to be changing some of the campiness that the real fans love. And any theater who shows it while trying to deny the experience part of it for the fans is just going to hurt the movie more.

If you ask me, this is a lose-lose situation. The movie will come out, make a decent amount of money its first weekend, but then be decried because either they changed too much and/or today's theaters ruin the experience, and as a result, the movie will tank after opening weekend.

I went to Rocky Horror for the first time when I was stationed in Orlando for nuke school. Me a a bunch of guys ended up going every week (sometimes twice a week, they ran them Fri and Satnights) for the rest of the 9 months I was there. When I was transfered to Groton, there was a small theatre that ran them but the experience just wasn't the same. Might have been because I went alone instead of a bunch of friends.

My wife's ex-boyfriend Kenneth (the only one she still keeps in touch with) used to me a cast member at the Caimbridge show. She's got a really good story about shopping for heels with him on Mass Ave. :devil:

As far as the re-make, I don't think that it will have anywhere near the appeal of the original. After all, with out the cast, the movie itself isn't great. And with a remake, there wouldn't be a cast on opening nite now would there?

Notice how everyone says they 'went to' Rocky Horror and they didn't 'go see' Rocky Horror. Hence my emphatic reference to it being a cult classic earlier.

There's no point in a remake. The purists won't go see it (beyond that first gawker time) and the noobs won't get it. So where's the money?

A Remake would blow.... basically because people dont act like that anymore.. Back then it was ok to be social and have fun and not worry about offending anyone.. Cause we all didnt wear our hearts on our sleeves. I mean lets face it we were out to be social, but not out to just get a piece of butt. Even if we were we werent overtly trying to let everyone else know we were. Lets face it we were only partially entertained by the movies. The whole thing to the movie was the weird is ok.. and monsters are only monsters if you listen to someone else. Gone are the days when you can revel in being social with someone one else just as weird as you are. So a remake.. bah... never happen and would only be a pale comparison to the original.

There is a film out right now destine to become a cult classic.. in Mama Mia, if it doesnt achieve cult status it will at the very least achieve "grease" status.