Color confusion with old LTP 3 kit

I've got some old Pro Paint stock coming my way, so I decided to take another crack at the NMM kit. When I bought it it had the MSP equivalents but it didn't work out so well.

In the sheet, one of the colours called for is "Warm Walnut". But "Warm Walnut" isn't on the old PP chart ( I mean the original list before Plains, Elderberry, etc. were discontinued).

Anybody know what colour this is? Is it just plain ol' Walnut?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I remember from my days working at Reaper it was actually a PP color that was mixed up for the kit. Plain ol' Walnut will work just fine, but if you want to mix in a bit of Aged Red Brick I think it'll approximate the warm walnut. Of course, you'll have to wait for Anne to get back for the exact color.

I found another clue that seems to prove you right, All-Terrain Monkey.

I found the enclosed sheet that listed the RPP stock numbers and their equivalent MSP #'s, and Warm Walnut is listed as # 8075. This would put it between Gloss Coat and The Metallics on the chart, where it is not entered. So that leads me to believe it was a mix just for the NMM kit and thus given a stock number, but not put into distribution beyond that kit.

I don't have those colours on hand so if Anne comes back and gives me the mix I'll try to do some up with the RPP's. I'll have some extra Walnut and Aged Red Brick. Some others in that approximate range, too.

If that fails, though (a distinct possibility in my "lab") I'll give your suggestion a try and purchase those MSP colours.

Thanks for the tip!

• Reaper User

I can never give out precise formulas for paints, but Blackened Brown is indeed the equivalent for Warm Walnut (specifically mixed because I liked Warm Walnut and wanted a version for MSP's). If that's a bit dark for you then you can mix in a tad of Oiled Leather, as John says, or a bit of Intense Brown. Or, really, any lighter very warm brown. Or you can use Russet Brown if you want something that is a little yellower and is more mix-friendly with the Palomino. There is no precise mix for gold NMM, only approximations! :lol:

What exactly wasn't working with the Blackened Brown when you last used the NMM kit?

--Anne

I got Antique Rose in the kit instead of Blackened Brown. There was a numbering issue on the equivalency sheet. It says 9139 Blackened Brown, but 9139 is Antique Rose. 9137 was Blackened Brown.

I had hoped to retry the kit with the original pro paints listed on the sheet, but then I discovered that Warm Walnut wasn't a separately purchaseable paint.

Thanks for getting back to me, I completely understand that you can't give me the formula.

Hey, it turns out I had warm walnut all along and didn't know it. I got it as a sample on one of my past orders. I didn't know what it was because it had a "sample" sticker on it.

It's still in good shape, so that rather conveniently solves the matter.

Just goes to show that Reaper is so good, they can even predict future needs before you have 'em!

Lol, I just can't believe it worked out like this. Bizarre. Very cool, but bizarre.