Learn to paint kits worth it? Starting painting again trying to starte fresh

pestario

If you are in the US, a tub of Master's Brush Cleaner and Preserver (or is it Restorer? I can never remember) or a small bottle of the Pink Soap (aka Mona Lisa) isn't all that much (about the cost of a human sized mini), particularly with a 40% off coupon from Michael's or Hobby Lobby.

That said, a simple gentle shampoo will also work in a pinch, especially if you are careful about rinsing your brush frequently in clean water. I haven't tried using the shampoo trick in the long term though.

After cleaning, I do use a bit of hair conditioner on my brushes (apply, let sit for a few seconds, rinse) and then use the soap to reshape the brush before setting the brush aside to dry. The hair conditioner trick really helped restore my W&N Series 7 #2 after it started to get very soft.

I am a bit paranoid about making sure that my brushes can dry and be stored in a place where the bristles won't get smashed. So, I don't throw them in a box of painting stuff (except when I'm not painting at home), and when the brushes go in a box of painting stuff, they get their own compartment and are held in place with a big wad of poster tack.

Ron

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this kit worth it for what I want to learn and do? How does the phamplet compare to tutorials you get free on this site and cmon?

Will the lessons learned from this kit transfer nicely to other figures?

If you already have some experience with washes, dry brushing, and know the basics of layering (even just by reading about it), the Armor and Fur kit and the Skin and Cloth kit will not help you very much. This is based on the "old" versions of those kits with the shorter painting guides. I don't know if Anne added any additional information to those kits in their new versions. If so, my opinion on that might change.

The other two kits I am familiar with are Non-Metallic Metal and Flesh and Skintones. These two had longer painting guides when I bought them (and I think they always have). They are more advanced than the first two I mentioned, cover the techniques in greater detail, and have better pictures than the shorter guides in the previous two kits. I learned quite a bit from the NMM and Skintones kits.

When I bought the four kits (Dec. 2006), they all had synthetic brushes in them, and I think that's still the case. Get yourself one or more Kolinsky brushes and you'll be happier. You'll find many posts discussing brush preferences in this forum.

Another way to learn you may wish to consider is live teaching at a FLGS, a paint club, or a convention. If that is not an option, videos are another way to see how painters use their brushes. Still photos are nice, but watching a painter apply paint can really clarify a lot of things.

The Miniature Mentor videos have received favorable reviews here. The videos they sell are all downloadable with certain videos available on DVD, though DVDs cost quite a bit more. Jeremie Bonamant Teboul of France has a DVD set available as well at Kraken Editions, but I've only seen some demos at youtube, so I can't vouch for the quality. These are the ones that come to mind immediately, but there are others.

Thanks for all the input I bought the Skin tone kits and it does come with a red sable brush. Is this "the next best thing" to kolinsky sable?

The instructions do same rather brief, but i haven't gotten to read them over completely. I would also be interested in the NMM kit, but was hoping someone could clarify for me. The Back of the Skin tones kit says that the NMM kit comes with 2 brushes and 9 bottles of Master Series paint.

The box at the store looks like it comes with regular screw top paints. Which is it? Also does anyone know what size bruses and which colors are included if they are regular Master series dropper paints? These kits at least are cutting down on my Painting shopping list between the paints and brushes that are included for starting.

The store may have an older version of the kit.

The original version had Pro Paint screw-cap pots, this version has been discontinued since 2006.

The second version comes in the same package but with Master Series dropper bottles replacing the Pro Paint. There should be a sticker or something on the outside announcing this. (All my LTP kits were bought at the same time -in September 2006- and came like this).

The NMM kit should soon be re-done in a package similar to Kit 4, as Kits 1 & 2 are now re-done in that style.

EDIT: I had to go find the insert sheet that came with mine and gave the MSP #'s.

So here's what came in my Kit #3:

9070 Mahogany Brown

9074 Palamino Gold

9083 Highlands Moss

9057 Ashen Blue

9110 Oiled Leather

9038 Rainy Grey

9137 Blackened Brown

9037 Pure Black

9039 Pure White

Howdy...

My son just returned from Gencon where he bought for me the learn to paint kit's 1 and 2.

Each kit, contained the strip of 6 'pots' of paint. I was going to transfer that paint into 1 oz paint containers that I can make better use of.

The problem is the blue from Kit 1 is a solid mass of paint. I opened the other 5 pots from kit 1 and they vary from a thick sludge to a solid mass. I would be happy to provide some pictures if needed.

I'm very much a beginner, but I have been going over to a friends house and using his Reaper Pro Paints to learn with.

How do I prepare the paint for use. I'm not at all up to speed on using this thickness of paint. I guess I am a bit spoiled using the Pro line. Is this the proper consistency for these

or is something wrong with them that needs replacing?

I had hoped that he would find the kits with the little jars with screwtops.

Any advice? I already sent most of this into [email protected]

But I figure the community would know what to do as well..

v.

Thanks for all the input I bought the Skin tone kits and it does come with a red sable brush. Is this "the next best thing" to kolinsky sable?

The instructions do same rather brief, but i haven't gotten to read them over completely. I would also be interested in the NMM kit, but was hoping someone could clarify for me. The Back of the Skin tones kit says that the NMM kit comes with 2 brushes and 9 bottles of Master Series paint.

The box at the store looks like it comes with regular screw top paints. Which is it? Also does anyone know what size bruses and which colors are included if they are regular Master series dropper paints? These kits at least are cutting down on my Painting shopping list between the paints and brushes that are included for starting.

I just checked my Skin Tones kit. I never used the brush and it was still in the package. You're right, it is a Red Sable size 0. I don't think I've ever seen this brush sold by Reaper as a separate item. Mine doesn't say Reaper on it anywhere. It says Sri Lanka. I just put some water on the brush to see if it has a good point and I'm sorry to say that it isn't very good. The Reaper synthetic brushes in my collection have better points. Maybe some brush conditioner would improve it a little.

As for the brushes that came in the NMM kit, it came with two brushes, Reaper synthetic size 3/0 and size 0. The box I have came with Master Series paints, as did all my kits. It has a sticker on it that says, "New and Improved with Master Series Paints."

How do I prepare the paint for use. I'm not at all up to speed on using this thickness of paint. I guess I am a bit spoiled using the Pro line. Is this the proper consistency for these

I have a set of the paints in the snap-top paint pots and they are thicker than most of the Reaper Master Series paints in the dropper bottles. If you can stir the paints, they should be salvageable. They are Master Series paints in the pots and will come back to life with water. I use filtered water, but distilled water is better. If you have good tap water, that will work, too. Try putting some of the paint on a palette, add a little water at a time and see how they react. If they smooth out okay, that is all you need. There are other things you can try if water doesn't work by itself, but that's the place to start. Frankly, since they're new paints, if water doesn't work, Reaper should be happy to replace them for you. They have the best customer service you'll ever find.

Howdy...

The problem is the blue from Kit 1 is a solid mass of paint. I opened the other 5 pots from kit 1 and they vary from a thick sludge to a solid mass. I would be happy to provide some pictures if needed.

I'm very much a beginner, but I have been going over to a friends house and using his Reaper Pro Paints to learn with.

I had the same issue with my fliptop paints in the kits, but the master paints all seem fiine. I wonder if we got old staock.

The problem is the blue from Kit 1 is a solid mass of paint. I opened the other 5 pots from kit 1 and they vary from a thick sludge to a solid mass.

I had the same issue with my fliptop paints in the kits, but the master paints all seem fiine. I wonder if we got old staock.

If you send a note to '[email protected]' indicating the problem, Bryan (or whoever is answering the email now), will take care of the problem for you.

I just checked my Skin Tones kit. I never used the brush and it was still in the package. You're right, it is a Red Sable size 0. I don't think I've ever seen this brush sold by Reaper as a separate item. Mine doesn't say Reaper on it anywhere. It says Sri Lanka.

There was a period when the wrong brushes were accidentally being put into the kits. Since I have the understanding that the Learn to Paint Kits should be getting the Reaper branded synthetic brushes, so I believe that you've got one of the kits with the wrong brush. The "Sri Lanka" "Red Sable" brushes were for the "Paint and Take" kits given to stores as promotions. I am sure that if you send a note to '[email protected]', Bryan will take care of the problem for you.

Ron

Howdy...

My son just returned from Gencon where he bought for me the learn to paint kit's 1 and 2.

Each kit, contained the strip of 6 'pots' of paint. I was going to transfer that paint into 1 oz paint containers that I can make better use of.

I had hoped that he would find the kits with the little jars with screwtops.

Any advice? I already sent most of this into [email protected]

But I figure the community would know what to do as well..

v.

The paint comes ready to use. Sounds like you got a really old set and the paint has gone bad on the shelf. I've had it happen with Game Workshop paints as well; same as you describe.

As noted above, and it sounds like you've already done it, contact Reaper and discuss a possible resolution.

Now I know where those Sri Lanka brushes came from. I wondered about that.

All of my 0's from the LTP kits are those, including the survivor that still has a point after all the abuse.

I didn't find them too bad, but the quality was all over the place. Some were good, some were just awful straight from the box.

I had two detail brushes (10/0 and 5/0) from my last supply order come without sleeves and they were ruined in the package. They never did take a point. I would've got them replaced, but since I decided to switch to Kolinskys anyway I figured it wasn't worth the effort. The lifespan of synthetics is pretty short anyways.

Now I know where those Sri Lanka brushes came from. I wondered about that.

All of my 0's from the LTP kits are those, including the survivor that still has a point after all the abuse.

I didn't find them too bad, but the quality was all over the place. Some were good, some were just awful straight from the box.

I had two detail brushes (10/0 and 5/0) from my last supply order come without sleeves and they were ruined in the package. They never did take a point. I would've got them replaced, but since I decided to switch to Kolinskys anyway I figured it wasn't worth the effort. The lifespan of synthetics is pretty short anyways.

The 0 that came in the skin tone kits(Sir lanka) was awful, it already has stray hairs. Luckily I bought my own. The rest of the kit is awesome.