jadeking

Whats the future of Warlord?

Me too... and since the proxy rules are so liberal, hopefully there will be plenty more suitable Legendary Encounters minis for the game forthcoming.

Hello everybody,

it's my first post in this forum. I'm a french Warlord player since six months. The Warlord community is well... tiny in France but i found four players to try this new game.

Why did we try this new game? First, the miniatures, they are lovely. Second, the rule book is beautiful, with glossy paper and wonderful drawings. After a few game, we found the rules enjoyable, quick and readable. So we are willing to continue to play for Taltos total control!

This is the good side, now the less enjoyable side: i bought my copy of the rules through the Asylum; as i said before, the book is beautiful but it's expensive. Expensive for what i get in the end. With the Warlord chronicles, my book is at 60% useless. Some rules are obsolete, some have changed, the new profiles have nothing in common with the old ones.

So i must download the Chronicles, print them because it is not handy to play with a computer by your side and adjust everything in the book. Not very easy and cumbersome, for my point of view.

I also noticed that, this year, there are no drawings in the Chronicles.

I can't stop thinking that Reaper is loosing interest with Warlord. If i'm wrong, there are two ways out: a rulebook reprinting, with all the news inside, or a free distribution of the rule book.

With one of these options, Warlord could live. Actually, i cannot tell a fellow player: " yes, you can play Warlord too, but before, you must buy a useless rulebook and translate a 265 pages errata."

It is sad. Warlord is a great game and it deserve better.

The RAGE Chronicles that you have downloaded is the pre-layout version. It's just the text. Hopefully now that Reaper Con/Origins/Gen Con are over, the folks can resume focus on completing this and getting the final release version ready.

fullmoon, you're not alone in wanting to see a new rulebook released.

Excellent an across the pond group of players..Having spent some in Central Europe I found the play style there totally different, and what is important to North American players not at all the same.

Let me ask your experiences with the game?

What factions is your group playing?

Play field dimensions? Type of games you are playing I.E. 1-1 games just kill them all types or with objectives? Point values?

Besides a rulebook? what additions would you like to see?

I'll be honest, I only use the rule book now for fluff in my RPG games.. The rules are not so complex. that require constant consulting the rule book.

I am a really casual player.

I am going to agree with you the miniatures are beautiful.. and the proxy rules make som ereally interesting appearing armies appear.

Excellent an across the pond group of players..Having spent some in Central Europe I found the play style there totally different, and what is important to North American players not at all the same.

Let me ask your experiences with the game?

Play field dimensions? Type of games you are playing I.E. 1-1 games just kill them all types or with objectives? Point values?

I'll be honest, I only use the rule book now for fluff in my RPG games.. The rules are not so complex. that require constant consulting the rule book.

I am a really casual player.

I am going to agree with you the miniatures are beautiful.. and the proxy rules make som ereally interesting appearing armies appear.

The RAGE Chronicles that you have downloaded is the pre-layout version. It's just the text. Hopefully now that Reaper Con/Origins/Gen Con are over, the folks can resume focus on completing this and getting the final release version ready.

fullmoon, you're not alone in wanting to see a new rulebook released.

I'll go overboard!

My wife bought one of the first printings of the rulebook. I understand there were (were not?) minor changes made to another printing some time around one of the ReaperCons. I bought my own copy of the book at RCon 07, then won a third copy in the auction. (At this point I really just wanted the Nefsokar splatbook for Marcia. Reading through the Splats, I wish all of the factions could have had one.)

If the value per dollar remains up to this standard, I would happily buy it again!

Despite all of this, I have only ever played one demo game of Warlord. But I wish it a strong and happy future nonetheless.

Reply to Deguello:

For my part, i play Necropolis, Reven and soon Dwarves. We have one Dwarves and Crusaders player, one BloodGnomes and one Reven. I haven't played against the fourth, i don't know which faction he is playing.

When we play 25 mm skirmishes, we use 1m80x1m20 (sorry for the imperials) table. I have a modular table in 60cmx60cm blocks. For the scenario, we began with 1 to 1, just kill them in 6 rounds to learn the basics. In 750 points. We have some games under our belt now, so we are planning a big game in 1500 points this thursday. We will play with objectives and looting.

First, i repeat: the rule book must be reworked. It's the game base. If you spend more time searching in papers than playing the game, it's not a good game.

Second, i liked the factions book. I'm also a role playing gamer; the description were well designed. Giving each faction its book will be a good thing.

Some points that are bothering me now:

-Discipline: this ability is not very useful. We rarely do any discipline check. Or when we do one, it is too late. Disicpline should be used to see if troops respond to orders correctly. And the commander control radius is far too generous. It should be variable, from a sergent to a warlord.

-Competences: each faction is different only by name. In any, you could find a model which can do exactly the same as another in a different faction. I played Confrontation a lot and i liked the differences between the factions. Dwarves should be slow moving but resilient, Elves should be the best archers,...

These critics are made in a constructive way. Like we say in France: "Qui aime bien, chatie bien". Anyway, the only figurine game that i am playing these days is Warlord.

So, this is the end. Hope my english is readable.

I keep hoping and praying for a full version PDF of the rules with the RC changes to be available (either Free or for a minimal charge, $5-$10). This game is pretty tough to 'sell' saddled with an albatross of a rule book that it has!!!!!!

I have bought 2 guys out of the game and used their book as giveaways to get others in, but I can't afford to give out expensive rulebooks. It has been easier to teach the rules w/o the book and just tell everyone to download the RC for the figure stats. A full rulebook PDF that I could print and hand out would really help me expand the player base around here for certain.

We too, play on a big board (usually 6'x8') with 2-4 players. For the 3 person games it is 2x750pts v 1x1500pts game, mostly good v evil but have done e vs e, and good vs good (elves and dwarves).

My only experience with the tourney option was hosted by a BL member that really didn't know the rules and who refused to let a player in because he made an odd number and the BL member didn't "want to set up another terrain board".

Did I mention that a full rule PDF would be a great idea?

Just my nickles worth,

Brian

A proper Rulebook is necessary to make people who do not currently play Warlord, want to give the game a chance. Downloads seem like a good idea, but only a very small miority of gamers prefer them.

I'm old school. I like an actual book, and some semblance of a system that won't change so often as Warlord currently does. I don't even know what "point-O" version we're on.

A nice rulebook with the fluff, rules, and army lists is what I'm after. New armies and models can be done via pdfs, etc.

I've bought both printed copies of the game, found it to be fun, if not my favorite, and seen constant tinkering since. The people that I found that were interested have long since moved on to other games, and I'm content to use Warlord models for other game engines.

Maybe Reaper will suprise all of us with updated Warlord and CAV 2 books, printed, by the end of the year! And they'll start sending me every Chronoscope mini for free.

Not to be a downer here, but given past history on this, I'm thinking you're more likely to see the Chrono minis arrive at your doorstep...

I hope I'm wrong though. At a minimum, Warlord needs a redone book as a PDF download like the CAV book is.

Well I like the people at Reaper, love their models, their customer service, and buy a lot from them. I've always been lukewarm at best about Warlord as a game, however. For the diehard fans here that play, convert, and paint their armies, and organize events, I think they will have a game that they can enjoy for years. I don't have the feeling that Reaper is a games company as much as they are a models company. I would like to see them remain in business, but when you get to the crux of the biscuit, they haven't struck gold with CAV or Warlord. I've never seen either game played in a store or at a local con around here. I know there are pockets of dedicated players that run games and events and work very hard to try to garner more converts to the game, but I don't think the background and rules are going to be strong enough to compete for table space with bigger games like Warmachine, and others out there.

I don't know if a new core book is going to accomplish that, and it may be a waste of resources in an already troubled economy. I would love to see free pdfs from other games companies for the range of Warlord models.

Currently I'm working with the owner of the game engine that drove 2nd edition Chronopia and Ultimate Warzone, and we are going to be statting out models for the fantasy and sci-fi engine from small companies like Heresy, and AlphaForge games. These will be independent of the IP background and not impinge upon anyone's copywritten material.

If we manage to finish building the website and get off the ground, it would be a pleasure to stat out Reaper models for this engine to bring the Warlord range to a wider audience via free pdf's. I'll have to run this by Ed Pugh at that time.

I don't see why a range of models can't be used for two different rules sets, and I bet Reaper would be more than happy to sell even more pewter.