Sign in to follow this  
jadeking

Whats the future of Warlord?

Well, it should say something that no one officially from Reaper has responded to this thread.....

Actually it doesn't really mean anything, Reaper Peeps seldom will reply to a thread like this to avoid making a statement that will come back to haunt them.

True that. They are wise in not posting until things are concrete.

Hmmm… I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on this one. ^_^

I don't even know if we do disagree. Reaper is already posting data cards and revisions that have changed since the launch of the game, so part of their game process is like an open beta test. As for company policy however, I haven't followed closely enough to know exactly what we're agreeing or disagreeing on. I'm lost, so bring me up to speed.

I’m pretty sure we do disagree I just didn’t do a good job explaining my post.

I can see the logic in “True that. They are wise in not posting until things are concrete.” Why make promises that you keep or give people unsound information. If that’s how Reaper likes to roll (and this thread is proof it is) then cool.

I personally think that communication with your fan base is of the utmost importance in continuing to maintain, grow, and develop customer relationship. So I personally would like to see something from and official Reaper employ.

That’s all. No big deal.

I'm not splittin' hairs here BK, I'm just thinking we agree!! I too believe every mini and game company should be in communication with their customers and fans. I just don't have the same expectations from Reaper that I might have from a smaller company like Heresy, Hasslefree, or AlphaForge, where the volume of customers and questions is smaller, to a large one like GW: totally out of touch with their customers and more in tune with their shareholders.

I think Reaper does a pretty good job somewhere in the middle, and if they don't post here, I don't take it to mean we're being ignored. They always post major developments with their games in the announcements sections, and keep a pretty good ear to the ground, whether it be models being asked for, rules questions, and the like.

The question of a new rulebook is not to be taken lightly in this day and age. The economy is really shaky, and other posts on this same forum are talking about whether rulebooks are a thing of the past to be replaced by computers, pdfs, etc. I'm betting Reaper is going to consider carefully the costs of a printed new book against a lot of factors right now, and don't expect an answer immediately. I would love to see the book, and buy it, even though I don't really play anymore; it would be nice to have around for an occasional game.

The question of a new rulebook is not to be taken lightly in this day and age. The economy is really shaky, and other posts on this same forum are talking about whether rulebooks are a thing of the past to be replaced by computers, pdfs, etc. I'm betting Reaper is going to consider carefully the costs of a printed new book against a lot of factors right now, and don't expect an answer immediately. I would love to see the book, and buy it, even though I don't really play anymore; it would be nice to have around for an occasional game.

All the more reason to put out a PDF version of the rules (free or real cheap) while all the chinks are being filled it with the game.

It is a stop gap measure, allowing an in hand/side of the table set of the rules for the folks that like/need such a thing. With the added bonus of helping the game to grow/sell minis by giving visable proof that Reaper still cares about the game.

With luck, a new hardback/softcover type book can be release in a year or two when the economy is a bit stronger and folks have the $$ to devote to it.

People who play minis games hate to wait for minis. Ask any Wargods player or potential wargods player about that. We are dying to get all of the minis for the troops listed in the rulebook. Ask Warmachine players or Warhammer players. Check out Warseer forums. There are always 2 or 3 times as many players in the rumours and preview threads than in the general discussion.

Warlord would have no such problem. The first rulebook was nice. An updated rulebook wiht a "Mordheim-esque" campaign as well as good rules for large scale map campaigns would rock and then Reaper could futz with datacards in pdfs all they want. Give us the rules, the fluff, a skirmish campaign and large-scale rules and you'll see things back to 2005 and even better. I'll even help write the thing. :) I'm REALLY cheap.

I disagree about Warlord having no such problem; there will always be players wanting more models that aren't in production yet. However, that being said,

Reaper does have a tremendous leg up on other companies in that the line has so many models already done. I can't think of another fantasy skirmish game with the variety of different troops, and number of poses, already in production than the Warlord line.

What you are talking about is a catch 22.

What happens if we say, "We have no plans to create new content for Warlord..."

What happens if we say, "A new version is right around the corner...."

The same thing. People stop buying it. If it is a dead game, people give up on it. If we announce a new version (before it is ready to go) then people stop buying it to wait for the new version. This was proven beyond a shadow of a doubt with CAV.

It is just better to stay out of these types of conversations and let everyone guess as to what is going on, until we have something real to say or actual product to release.

I can however say:

1. Warlord and CAV are not dead.

2. Most of our game development resources are going to Reich of the Dead right now.

3. We give you what we can as quickly as we can muster something up.

4. I wish we had more resources to throw at game development.

5. If a new version of a rules set was to be announced it will be near completion first.

6. We have nothing to announce at this time.

Hope this helps as an response from a Reaper peep.

I hear what you're saying Clark, and I understand, I really do. But:

2. Most of our game development resources are going to Reich of the Dead right now.

I had a sinking feeling this was going to happen when you announced RotD at RCon 07. To be honest, I was really dissapointed at the announcement of RotD, not only because it is a genre for which I don't care for, but as you said yourself:

At this point, what's done is done, though. I am hoping that you get RotD out the door soon, and it's a rousing success, so that Reaper can afford more game development resources, both for RotD as well as Warlord and CAV.

Despite the fact that many of us would like to see other games set in the CAV universe, I really hope that once RotD is out the door Reaper devotes more time to supporting CAV, Warlord and RotD for awhile before attempting another game.

1. Warlord and CAV are not dead.

3. We give you what we can as quickly as we can muster something up.

5. If a new version of a rules set was to be announced it will be near completion first.

6. We have nothing to announce at this time.

I picked up this game even since it launched. No, Warlord is not dead but it certainly feels like it. One of the main critics from other sources is that Reaper simply does not have the resources to manage several games at the same time. The situation has not changed over the last few years. The problem is that players will not sit here waiting for this company to spend more resources on Warlord or CAV. If there is no further development, they simply move onto other games.

There's a new release just about every month for Warlord. As the resident grouchy old geezer who has always been lukewarm about Warlord, even I can tell you that if you want to play this game, you have more available to you than many other games out there. You've got the RAGE chronicles updating the game with new stuff, vigorous playtesting from rabid fans, and new models from a company with a proven track record.

I too, bought into the game at launch, then the second bound book. It's a fun little game, and it's there if I want to play it. It doesn't feel dead to me, it's just not my favorite.

I play Chronopia and Ultimate Warzone. Both games are unsupported, models are out of production, and some were never made. They don't feel dead to me either.

As long as there are fans of a game, who love to paint models, push pewter, and throw dice, a game lives.

I'll help:

-Take the original Rulebook

-remove the datacards for the factions

-add in the new items and abilities from the chronicles

-mention website for BOP Map, cards for all minis...

-send to printer

- MSRP 34.95

:)

Should take about a day and a half or if you send the materials to me, three days. (I procrastinate a bit)