official NMM Master Series paint triads?

pestario

Are there any official NMM Master Series Triads available or planned? I have the NMM how to paint kit and can mix those up but was wondering if there were any triads that work out of the bottle in the 2nd wave of master series release. For example it looks like Khaki Brown and desert camo triads could work for gold out of the bottle, or the cold grey triad could maybe work as steel.

But I dont have the colors and am just learning so I could be way off. On a related note what paints could be used for chrome?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no triad that is billed as a NMM triad. However, you can use any browns/yellows or grays to do NMM, depends on EXACTLY what color you're looking for. Some people like the one that has buckskin pale, others like to use the Sandy brown/tan triad, then there's the cold grays, or even the midnight/twilight blues.

What CBP said.

Every painter seems to have their own recipe for NMM. And not even just one recipe.

I would suggest hunting down the websites of those painters you like and seeing if they post anything. Our own Monkey posted a few of his recipes but I know he's snuck some of the tropical colors in there too.

The lamented, lost Jester posted some recipes and thoughts. Grab that one while you can since there's no telling how long it will be available.

An interesting use of another technique that will churn out NMM is here on Necrotales. You'll have to dig through the tutorial a bit until you get to the NMM part but I find it intriguing.

Those are the ones I know off the top of my head. And if you see a mini posted with NMM you really like go ahead and ask about it.

Personally I cheat and use metallics. Possibly even demi-metallics. But NMM just isn't something that I care to try.

What CBP said.

Every painter seems to have their own recipe for NMM. And not even just one recipe.

I would suggest hunting down the websites of those painters you like and seeing if they post anything. Our own Monkey posted a few of his recipes but I know he's snuck some of the tropical colors in there too.

The lamented, lost Jester posted some recipes and thoughts. Grab that one while you can since there's no telling how long it will be available.

An interesting use of another technique that will churn out NMM is here on Necrotales. You'll have to dig through the tutorial a bit until you get to the NMM part but I find it intriguing.

Those are the ones I know off the top of my head. And if you see a mini posted with NMM you really like go ahead and ask about it.

Personally I cheat and use metallics. Possibly even demi-metallics. But NMM just isn't something that I care to try.

Thank you for those links, they were very helpfull, I esecially liked Necrotales.

What happened to Jester?

• Reaper User

Official NMM triads are more or less impossible not only because (as Lunchbox says) it usually takes more than three colors to make an NMM effect, but also because most of the colors I would put in those triads are already released and in other triads!! :lol: So the best I can do is give you a list of colors that I would put in an NMM series if I had to construct one.

Gold: You can go with the triad of Chestnut Gold, Palomino Gold, and Buckskin Pale. Use a darker brown of your choice for your darkest shadow and Pure White for your highlight. Personally, I like my gold a little more muted and work with a 50/50 mix of Russet Brown and Palomino Gold for my basecoat, then up to Palomino Gold, then mix some Clear Yellow and Pure White into the Palomino for a more yellow highlight...Russet Brown for the darkest shadow and then I glaze with Intense Brown to warm it up. Then up to Pure White for the brightest highlight. ::): The assessment that all painters use different recipes, especially for NMM gold, is spot-on. Most of us change our gold to go with whatever other colors we are using on the model and often we have more than a few NMM gold recipes that we swap in or switch up in the search for the "perfect" gold NMM!

Silver: Choose any shade of grey. Mix in increasing amounts of Pure Black or Grey Liner for the shadows (I like Grey Liner as it's translucent and thus easier to layer). Mix in increasing amounts of Pure White for your highlights. If you are using a brownish grey in an attempt to create an oily or dirty metal effect make sure you're getting your shadows dark enough and your highlights bright enough, or it's going to look like your mini's armor/weapons are made of stone instead of steel! :;):

Chrome: The two colors I like for this are Woodstain Brown for the earth and Ashen Blue for the sky.

Hope that's useful! Now back to the paint department for me...

--Anne ::):