Which is stronger? 5 min epoxy or SG?

Hi All,

Assuming I allow the appropriate amount of curing time for each, which do you think is ultimately stronger, 5 min epoxy or green label zap-a-gap? I've never pinned anything this large before. I'm dealing with large wings, kinda the size of dragon wings, using brass rods, and will be greenstuffing the gap...

Any opinions out there?

Jen

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If your pinning job is good, then either will work. In general - the heaver the item I'm trying to glue, the more likely I am to use the epoxy. SG has very good tensional strength, but not good torsional strength - if there's potential for lots of leverage to be applied to the glue jount, use epoxy.

Generally speaking, Epoxy will be stronger unless you have perfect fits to deal with. Superglue doesn't like gaps - and even the gap filling formulas are not as strong as a good Epoxy (5 minute or otherwise). If you have really good fits though, the final bond strength of superglue is normally stronger than that of epoxy.

Of coarse a lot of that will depend on the Epoxy and Superglue in question. The really thin superglues will be stronger than thicker superglues, as they lack fillers and other stuff that weakens bonds. Really good epoxy can be much stronger than the best superglue - but most the stuff off the shelf is only in the middle of the pack.

So - yeah, it depends. Normally due to fitment issues on large items, epoxy is the better way to go. It helps to fill the gap that normally exists and makes the final blending work with GS easier (often you can simply shape the epoxy as it is drying).

Like dragon wings or ARE dragon wings? How much abuse are these wings getting? How much weight are they holding up? I prefer a solid set Aves Apoxie Sculpt to Greenstuff for bigger items because it sets rock hard and helps support large pieces, whereas greenstuff still has some give, even when set solid. Aves will take a lot of abuse and I have never had one break on me yet that I used it on...except once, when I knew I was gap filling with Apoxie before the glue was truly set first. I ended up breaking the glue really with my handling, which led to cracks as I was in such a rush and the Aves was dealing with too much movement in the join. Making sure the joint and pin is glued well and dry, THEN using Aves, is the best bet for a solid join. Aves also reacts well with water, is easily sculpted or sanded as needed, and mixes fast and easy.

No, it's not a dragon, but the wings are pretty large proportional to the figure. I'm doing Azaroth from Heresy minis. It's got an 8 or 9 inch wing span. Cool fig... I just hope I can do it justice with the paint!

Anyhow, I took Froggy's advice and went with the epoxy. After allowing it to set up while I was sleeping for the day it seems pretty solid. But there is indeed a huge gap. I'm thinking I'll use milliput, cause it dries hard (unlike greenstuff) and I don't have any Aves.

I like him. ::):