Static grass and people that have never used it before..

Ok. So I bought a container of Static grass from my beloved gamers store here in MN, since I'm wanting to do bigger and better bases. My question is this. How do you put the stuff on your base and have it look natural with it sticking up where it's supposed to? I tried attaching some to a GW Darkelf's base and it looks lame. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How I add static grass to a base is probably all backwards, but I'll share it anyway...

Items: Paints, super-glue, tub of green mix flock (green-brown-black usually), tub of static grass, paper bowl or similar flexible catch-tray, tweezers

1. Paint the area you'll be adding grass to with a suitable color of dark green/greenish brown. I usually just use whatever my 'dirt' color is. Let dry completely before proceeding to the next step.

2. Flock

Apply a thin layer of super-glue on the areas you wish to add grass and dunk the base into the tub of flock. Press down lightly on the flocked area. Knock off the extra by tapping the base over your catch-tray. Empty catch-tray and wait a little bit before moving on.

3. Grass

Apply a thin layer of super-glue over the flock, leaving a little margin (a millimeter or so) around the edges. Use the tweezers to apply clumps of static grass to the glue. Knock off the excess into your catch-tray and blow gently on the flocked area to get the grass to stand up. Since you need to do this last step quickly, break it into sections on larger bases so that the glue doesn't dry out before you've got all the grass applied. Once the glue has dried (about 5 minutes or so), bust out a hair-dryer, personal fan, or similar wind generating device and blast that base... excess static grass is sneaky and no one like a mini that sheds.

4. Groom (optional)

Use your fingers, an eyebrow brush, or ratty paint brush to comb the grass a bit. You may even want to use a pair of small scissors to trim the static grass down a bit if it's too long or has stray 'blades' poking out at odd angles. This is also when you can drybrush the grass a little to even out the color (or add more variety).

Basically, the flock and gentle blowing will make the grass stand up and practice will make it all perfect ::D:

EDIT: Forgot something... The reason for leaving the margin is to make it look a little more natural.

DG,

After painting the base either green or brown (depends on what I am doing or the primary color for the base) I will use a 50-50 mix of PVA (white Elmers)-Water and paint a decent coat on the base. This is pretty easy and can be used if you are "grassing" the entier base or just specific portions, works either way. Right after I paint the mixure on the base I add the grass by setting the mini the container lid (i have been using GF9) and either sprinkling the grass or using a flat edge tool to flick the flock onto the painted area. I always use too much grass initially and tap lightly with the tool after the grass is totally covering the glue. I then turn the mini over, tap the side of the base with the tool which knocks all the loose material back into the container and recheck the work.

Most of the time this is the last thing I will do prior to spraying on the matte/sealer.

I have heard of folks using super glue to seal the grass, but I have not had very good luck when I tried. It came out too clumpy/matted down. The Matte spray from Citadel or the Armory has worked fine for me thus far. There are probably other sprays out there as well, I havent used them so I dont know how they would work.

Here are some examples of how that grass turned out.

http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=32987

http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=32414 Scroll to the bottom I posted better pics later in the post

4. Groom (optional)

Use your fingers, an eyebrow brush, or ratty paint brush to comb the grass a bit. You may even want to use a pair of small scissors to trim the static grass down a bit if it's too long or has stray 'blades' poking out at odd angles. This is also when you can drybrush the grass a little to even out the color (or add more variety).

One additional tip here...

A glass or fiberglass rod (some plastics too) works great for manipulating the grass without touching it. Think back to grade school science classes and the stuff they used to demonstrate static electricity. I use a cat to charge my glass rods...but a wool sweater will work quite well too.

I personally prefer to use a different adhesive than super glue in order to have a longer working time - but most glues which dry clear will work well enough.

I usually use a wood glue over standard white glue for my bases. I tend to put on some fine flocking and let dry before adding the static grass.

I appy the glue with a brush in small dabs. Then dump the static grass on the area. I then turn the figure upside down over a container, take firm hold of the base, and thwack the bottom of the base with something with mass (my pocket knife ususally). This has the effect of removing unglued grass and making the grass that is there point generally in the same direction (up).

Cheers,

Brian

I Love Static grass!! I just started using it myself. Usually, after I finish painting the base (generally the same color as the grass unless it's supposed to be muddy or something) I will use Elmer's glue (which my hubby and I have been using for years) and I spread a light layer of it on the base itself. After that, I sprinkle the grass on and haven't had trouble yet with getting it to stick up. Usually, after it dries (you can slightly when it's wet) it's a good idea to groom it like stated above. I definitely like it better than the flocking grass; that tiny stuff! :D Good luck!!