New Pro Paints

GreyHorde

A couple of weeks ago at Gen Con, I got my grubby paws on several of the new Reaper Pro Paints. I promised several people there that I would try them out and post up a few notes. So, this weekend I finally got to try out three colors, Woodland Brown, Leather Tan and Desert Tan. Now, the colors don't really matter because they all behave the same way - perfectly. I am definitely impressed. I mean, I liked the old Pro line, but these are smoother, more saturated in color, more opaque and workable. They are in some ways, to my limited feel, like a slightly thicker version of the MSPs. They're great for quickly getting down smooth basecoats or underpainting in just one or two passes, but they thin out nicely for shading, washing and highlighting, too, with 'gunk' or just water. They flow nicely from the brush with a minimum of thinning, yet they don't seem to separate on the palette. (I didn't heavily dilute, but at 1:3 paint to water, there was no sign of graininess or separation.) They mix well amongst themselves, with MSPs & additives. In a word...wow. I like 'em.

The only drawback that I can think of is the screw-top bottle/pot configuration. That's not even a big knock on them, just a small matter of preference. I'm sure they work well for most folks, especially the 'straight from the bottle/lid' painters. I'm just spoiled with the MSP dropper bottles, and due to a lack of regular painting time I've seen a lot of paint pots settle out or dry up. So, I may transfer Pros to dropper bottles, but for now I'm working on ways to keep the Pros from drying or settling out in their original containers.

I know, that's not a scientific assessment, but I can tell you I am immediately seeing their benefits, using them, and looking forward to more. I will definitely be using them in a couple of weeks when I start teaching one of the guys at work the basics of miniature painting, and these paints will make that job much easier.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets not go the CN route.

Contrary to popular belief there is enough Chuck Norris to go around...

On the pro paints. I am liking them but my airbrush isnt. I havent gotten them formulated for thinning yet.

which is strange because the old ones I could almost shoot straight Crunch have you tried them yet,

Please, no Chuck Norris "jokes": I get enough of that from the nonsense that flares up every now and again in WoW's trade channel. ::P:

I like the reformulated Pro Paints as well, especially after I've transferred them to dropper bottles. Thanks to Joe Kutz for posting a good cheap source for dropper bottles.

Ron

Heh heh Thanks, Ron, for the reminder on dropper bottle suppliers. I looked one up and $0.29 each plus shipping (very reasonable) would just about take that issue out of the equation. My guess is I could move about half the Pro Paint to a dropper bottle, clean and seal the screw-top lid, and store the jar upside down, sort of like a wine bottle, to keep the remainder from evaporating. An occasional shake to keep it from settling out and the jar should keep for a while. For the dropper bottles, I would still just need an agitator. I'd prefer pewter skulls - it is still Reaper paint, after all :B): - but sinkers, BBs, lead shot (pellets), non-reactive aquarium rocks, glass beads or something like that should do just fine. I know, there's a whole thread on that one, too; I'm just too lazy to go look for it.