Sign in to follow this  
pepibom

Anyone ever work with Golden fluid acrylic brand paints?

I love my Reaper paints don't get me wrong but I work in a field of conservation in which we use Golden paints (fluid acrylics). I have never done research as to their pigment quality (concentration etc.) (sometimes conservators don't need to know how the sausage is made...just been recommended by some higher ups) and was wondering if anyone had ever used them for minis and what they thought... how do they compare to Reapers'.

I'll continue using my Reapers but I have so many different Goldens at work; was thinking in a pinch I might be able to use some of them as well.

Thanks

- Sabro

Wow, the difference is huge. I would not use my regular illustrating acrylics on minis. They are just such a different consistency, and they dont have the cohesiveness that most mini paints do. I did find that the Confrontation paints reminded me a lot of the Goldens I used to use. It was a lot like painting with goo and I had a much harder time with brush control. Though they'd probably make for a good glazing technique.

I've tried two Golden colors and had the same experience Skya had: goo. Been too long for me to remember which ones although I think one was metallic and the other a yellow...

I just bought some based on a class I took at GenCon. I use them specifically for metallic glazes/washes.

Fluid Acrylics don't have much opacity. Meaning, they work great for glazed and washes, but crappy for actually painting a fig. You can see the basecoat color through the wash.

They have a great flow-improver already added.

Hope that helps!

-Doug

I use Golden Fluid Acrylics and Matt Fluid acrylics a lot. If you take the time to understand the difference in them they are excellent for minis. Since they have no additives you get pure colors. Instead of trying to balance the line out to a standard level of transparency Golden leaves each pigment with its intrinsic values. Therefore some colors are more transparent than others as is natural for the pigments they are produced from. With the charts provided by Golden on their site I know exactly what to expect from each color and use the info to my advantage.

Golden knows that painters like their paints to respond in different ways for various techniques. To that end they do not put any additives like flow improver or matting agents in the Fluid line, only pigment and binder. The matt Fluid line does have the matting agents added but nothing else. Since I prefer to use my own selections of additives this works well for me. I get excellent color, flow and coverage. They are also very durable. In addition since the names for the paints actually mean something in the art world I can custom mix colors easier than with hobby paints.

Golden Fluid AC is certainly not the only paint I use for minis but it is a valuable addition to the VMC, RPP and other lines I use.

Edited by thrush65