Specific basing question

Hey, folks.

I'm currently coming close to finishing Gauntfield the Scarecrow. A friend of mine, who neither collects minis or paints, saw him in Anne's Showcase and was amazed. "That's the figure for me," he said. Given that his birthday is coming up quickly and that it falls on October 31st, I thought I'd paint up a copy of ol' Gauntfield for him as a surprise.

However, as I near the end, it occurs to me that I have no idea how to base this thing, so I thought I'd follow Jason Glocka's lead and add some pumpkins. So then, now I need wonder... Does anyone know if Jason sculpted those pumpkins? Or can they be found in a craft store?

Here's the photo for reference:

Gauntfield by Jason Glocka

I've also thought of adding a bundle of corn stalks and need to figure out how. Anyone have any ideas to this end?

Thanks, gang.

-The Whiz.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow.. still speechless from that painted mini.

As for corn stalks, the first thing that popped into my mind was dry rice noodles, they come in close packets, you would probably have to seal them first but after painting, add some appropriate flocking on the tips.  :p  Probably not a very useful idea.

A craft store might have pumpkins of the right size.  IIRC, Jason used some pumpkins sculpted by none other than Sandra Garrity, but alas they are not available in any commercial capacity I believe.

For corn stalks, hmmm.  Maybe some natural fibers like those from a bristle brush.  Then again if you find pumpkins at a craft store maybe they'll have the corn too.  I'm not being much help I guess. :(

They look sculpted, but you are in luck.  Go to a local Craft Store.  I know Michaels has Fall and Halloween stuff in the floral section.  Some of it is what they call floral picks and there are small pumpkins on some of them that you can cut off and glue onto the base.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, everyone. I'll check Michael's for sure, Enchantra, and then see if I can't put anything together for myself.

Unless anyone knows how I can get Sandra Garrity to sculpt me some pumpkins. Some guys have all the luck...  :)

She charges about $400 for a custom mini.  :p

Thanks for all your help, everyone. My trip to Boston this weekend yielded a brick of Sculpey (which I've only ever heard about before), so I've decided to try my hand at making my own pumpkins.

I actually sculpted one in Boston and baked it. It came out pretty nicely, IMHO. A bit large, perhaps, but now that I'm home with the miniature again, I'm positive I'll be able to sculpt a few others at the right size.

I'm actually quite psyched.

It also occured to me that I could create a hay bundle instead of corn and that would pass for what I'm looking for.

So, overall, this trip has me quite inspired. That and this mini looks great.

Everyone should get a copy of Gauntfield. He's so much fun to paint. What a great miniature.

-The Whiz.