Nooby questions from a very-beginner

demi_morgana

heya again! ^_^

I've just browsed CAV rules again and before me and my friend start testing them I'd like to solve some doubts I met while reading...

I thought I can put all my beginner-questions here so the remaining part of forum isn't spammed by me :unsure:

ok, so here's the first one:

after I read the rules and most important - saw models available, I know (more-less) what I'd like to see in my first ~2000 points force;

I know mixing models from different fractions is possible if I choose independents to play but is this really THE ONLY way?

I mean - I like centurion and flail models from templars but if I'd like to play them there'd be only 9 models to choose from ::(:

in advance thanx for help

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

heya again! ^_^

I've just browsed CAV rules again and before me and my friend start testing them I'd like to solve some doubts I met while reading...

I thought I can put all my beginner-questions here so the remaining part of forum isn't spammed by me :unsure:

ok, so here's the first one:

after I read the rules and most important - saw models available, I know (more-less) what I'd like to see in my first ~2000 points force;

I know mixing models from different fractions is possibla if I choose independents to play but is this really THE ONLY way?

I mean - I like centurion and flail models from templars but if I'd like to play them there'd be only 9 models to choose from ::(:

in advance thanx for help

Like Vil said you also get access to all of the open market models. Additionally, if you went with the Templar faction any models made by Hughes-Mariette (like the Knight or the Warlord) would be considered Faction specific as per the RC '08 document and would count towards the requisite 25% faction specific model requirement to receive the Templar Faction abilities.

Like Vil said you also get access to all of the open market models. Additionally, if you went with the Templar faction any models made by Hughes-Mariette (like the Knight or the Warlord) would be considered Faction specific as per the RC '08 document and would count towards the requisite 25% faction specific model requirement to receive the Templar Faction abilities.

aaaah, that's the part I couldn't find - the force counts as coming from certain fraction if over 25% is made by that fraction ::):

thanks for help - I hope not to update this topic too often ^_^

ok, I have another doubt to be solved so I hope I can count on You guys once again ::):

I know weapons in CAV can shoot with direct fire or indirect fire - that's clear, but if I want to use indirect fire does any one of my troopers has to see the target? I mean for example: stand of infantry spots the enemy befind hills so it can now contact with artillery battery located at the other side of game table so they can shoot OR maybe future gps systems allow to lay fire wherever I want if of course I pass required tests?

thanks for help!

OK, I'm back with bunch of new nooby questions ^_^

last evening I finally had the opportinity to test CAV and moreover - I even managed to win ::P:

but I wouldn't by myself if I didn't make up any questions to ask so I have 2 this time...

1.it's more clarification than question: initially I thought that models have 180 dergees arc of sight but after I realised some models (Lance tank for example) have No Rear Fire special rule I assume that turrets can oparete in any direction and I can for example move forward, pass enemy model and than try to shoot it without turning vehicle, am I right? :unsure: that would also mean that I can respond for enemy fire even if I was shot "in back" (unless there's NRF rule of course...)

2.this one is about infantry - last evening I fielded some troopers but they didn't have proper "punch" agains enemy models around so I want to get missle launcher for my toy soiders :grr:

I can see that I have to pay 15pts for each Damage Track - infantry base has 4 DT so if I want to give them heavy punch their cost will increase by 60 pts; and after I pay 60pts I get only one missle shot, right? not 4 because there are 4 models carrying launchers?

I can imagine my questions ane nooby but as You know - I'm just the beginner... :blush:

Anything without NRF has 360 LoS, correct.

As for infantry...first of all, it's 45 points--the updated infantry only have three DTs. That missile launcher simply replaces one of the machine gun lines on the data card, so yes--only one attack for the squad (if you take the new Terran doctrine from War For Sale, however, you can give them two).

As for infantry...first of all, it's 45 points--the updated infantry only have three DTs. That missile launcher simply replaces one of the machine gun lines on the data card, so yes--only one attack for the squad (if you take the new Terran doctrine from War For Sale, however, you can give them two).

hmmm... I have no idea why I also added 0 DT <_<

thank You a lot! hope to test CAV avain next week so be prepared for new set of silly questions :wacko::;):

well personally I don't think target lock is possible in case if indirect fire because there's no "standard" to-hit roll but rather You shoot the missle in the air and hope it will hit the target hidden behind the terrain - but that's just my fluff-wise point of view ^_^

and as for question I have anoither one about equiping infantry: if I decide to upgrade my troopers do I have to give same stuff to all bases in section or maybe I can choose I want for example one of 6 infantry bases become the heavy-hitter?

Target Lock does not require line of sight. As far as fluff goes, I think indirect fire is seriously underpowered from what it will be that far in the future, but the game wouldn't be much fun because we'd just sit at opposite sides of the table lobbing shells at each other rather engaging with direct fire weapon systems.

Equipping only one infantry stand in a section is perfectly valid. Just make sure you have a way of indicating which stand it is when you're playing to avoid confusion.

As far as fluff goes, I think indirect fire is seriously underpowered from what it will be that far in the future, but the game wouldn't be much fun because we'd just sit at opposite sides of the table lobbing shells at each other rather engaging with direct fire weapon systems

merry times of WW1 come back :poke: