Update - good news

Enchantra

About a month and a half ago now I put in my two weeks notice at Michaels. When I walked out of there a month ago it felt like a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders after seven years there. I think the funniest yet also saddest part was the manager apparently thought my two weeks was a joke and didn't take it seriously until my last night there and when I went to walk out the door he was completely caught off guard when I informed him I wasn't joking and said goodbye - only 5 days after my anniversary date.

Anyways, I proceeded to go on a job hunt. My aim was to find something full-time that paid better than my CountryMax Gig, but I figured I would take whatever fell my direction - so long as it wasn't retail/factory/cold-call sales. Well I managed to land a part-time gig as a receptionist/maintenance coordinator for a Home generator company. It was a shock to me, but how often can you get paid $12 an hour for part-time work? I grabbed it. So things are looking brighter. The guys I work with are great - so far I work well with them and I really have no complaints about any of them.

They hired me to organize their office. Organization? They need more than just organization. I've walked straight into a version of Dante's Inferno. I'm earning every penny of that $12 an hour. Today I must have called 100 customers to schedule maintenance on their generators, half weren't home, two hung up on me thinking I was a telemarketer and a few couldn't make a decision regarding scheduling an appointment and wanted their Husband to do it instead. I've discovered their filing system needs an overhaul. So once everyone is entered properly into the database, I'm relabeling the files (Which have handwritten labels in someone's illegible scrawl), reorganizing all the files, and I will also be calling people to renew maintenance contracts. My Job essentially is to get the office running like a well oiled machine so that the business itself can run better. Since it's the fourth largest Guardian Generator dealer in the Country in sales, they "need someone to whip them into shape," To quote the company President.

So I've pieced together how I got this job. I met the company owner at a job fair, gave him my resume, he was impressed with my skill at that point. That weekend I then emailed him to let him know of my continued interest. The following Tuesday since I had not heard from him yet I called him on his work cell phone number. He was impressed. He told me I was at the top of the list to be interviewed. I then waited. Last week I got a call Monday afternoon finally for an interview, and I went to the interview last Wednesday. I sent a thank you note out on Friday. Tuesday I got the phonecall that I had the job, my first day was today. That's fast. The catch to all of this? I didn't have half their qualifications - I had really never looked at MS Access database before and MS outlook scheduler I knew at least had to be an extension of the calendar feature on outlook. I was honest in the interview that I knew essentially nothing about MS Access and the outlook scheduler. Thankfully I've used other databases before in the past so this wasn't to difficult. From what I can see I got this job because I wasn't afraid to follow up and make the phone calls and send the thank you note. So for those of you on the prowl for a better job, take some notes of what I did, it may help you.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats on the new job.. Hope it works out for you.

And remember there are people on here that have used Access and Outlook...

No worries. I have bookmarked some online tutorials on how to use the software so I'm not in the dark, and I have used related programs so it's not that much of a stretch to use it.

I hope the new job works out well too. Since the company is growing and expanding and the President seems bent on upgrading,updating and expanding the company to move forward I consider it a positive sign. He mentioned in passing this job could lead to better opportunities for me there. I'm all for it. ::D:

Congratz on your new job !! i keep thinking of your past probs with michels...each time i walk into the only michels store here...

Yeah, me too. I think of you everytime I drive by a Micheals. I had to go there last week because I am starting to draw again after a 20 year hiatus, and needed a decent sketch book. The whole time I was in there I was wondering how you were doing, not to mention watching the employees and wondering if they are experiencing similar things to yourself.

I am very happy for you. Congrats!

Andy

Congratz on your new job !! i keep thinking of your past probs with michels...each time i walk into the only michels store here...

Yeah, me too. I think of you everytime I drive by a Micheals. I had to go there last week because I am starting to draw again after a 20 year hiatus, and needed a decent sketch book. The whole time I was in there I was wondering how you were doing, not to mention watching the employees and wondering if they are experiencing similar things to yourself.

I am very happy for you. Congrats!

Andy

Well if the word of mouth I have heard from other employees I have kept in touch with has any truth to it - which I know it does, I'm wagering that there are quite a few having some of the same issues I was having, however some of them are not as fortunate to have other jobs to fall back on like I did. One employee in particular I have to contact. We'll call her Mrs. H. Mrs. H. works three jobs, part-time at Michaels after the classroom program at Michaels was axed, One-Stroke painting instructor at JoAnn's and A part-time florist for a friend of hers who owns her own business. She is having it rough because every full-time job she applied for wouldn't pan out and she recently left her husband and needed something full-time. She's been with Michaels four years and she went for the same positions I did and also got turned down. She too had stellar reviews and a good job performance record. The catch here? Her and I were both pretty high on the payscale there for what we did (Sad that $8.35 an hour was high on their payscale, but it was.). We are both wondering if that had anything to do with both of us getting jerked around.

So far the new part-time job is going well. I'm just working my tail off is all. When I go into work tomorrow morning, between both jobs I won't have another day off till the 30th. Ahh yes I'm going to be a work zombie again. At least this time I'm not working to pay off credit cards - I'm working to make extra car payments to pay it off faster and to save up cash in a savings account so I can move. The light is at the end of the tunnel and I see it...

I lost count of the times I've seen companies jerk around the higher paid workers in an effort to get them to leave. Management types are usually under a lot of pressure to keep those expenses down. Bad managers think it is an option to just get rid of the highest paid and replace em with new workers...

Jeez, $8.35 an hour is considered higher paid? UK minimum wage is £4.60 for those 18-21, or £5.52 for those older. That's equivalent to (quick trip to xe.com) $8.42 or $10.10 an hour. And those rates increase in October!

Ishil

Congrats on the new job! I know I've been in a similar situation, only with accounting procedures. It would take three/four weeks to close the month, and by the time that was done, it was time to start the new month!

Crazy stuff. I got the work down to having the close complete in 5 days.