Sign in to follow this  
Neartea

Black lining

I was wondering your opinion about black lining.

I learned it this weekend at paint class.  I don't really know if I like it.  It does make things poke out at you, but also seems a bit cartoony.  I am going to try it with a dark brown to see how it works.  

I also wanted to share that I had my first sucessful flesh, shading highlighting this week.  And it was white skin, which i find harder than brown for some reason.

Something about blacklining one needs to keep in mind is that shadows in nature are not black unless its the middle of night - and well you cannot really see shadows then anyways.

Shadows in Nature of varying shades of brownish greyish tones.  Using darker browns will make it look less cartoonish and more real.

Well, all you have to do is examine what others have done and decide for yourself. Yes black can give a cartoony look, but it also depends on the effect you are after. If you are painting a warrior in full plate, using blacklining may give you the right contrast you might seek. Here is an example of brown lining:

Grundor_lt.jpg

Since most lines are formed where skin meets clothing, brown lines give a natural look. However if you examine the lines in the sword, they are black, simulating a sharper contrast. And again around the buckles, it's a very dark brown or black.

Here is an example where dark grey was used for lining (as best I can tell). This again looks natural on the unnatural skin.

Banshee1_af.sized.jpg

And here is the last example, where there is a ton of blacklining, but you'll notice different shades. Some of it seems to be brown (face, fingers, purse, wrappings on staff, etc), some seems to be thinned down black which forms a transparent blackline showing a bit of the original underlying color (e.g. belts across the skirt), and some looks like solid black (around gold bits).

Lysette_ds.jpg

I don't think any of these look cartoony and they all use blacklining of some kind. Hope this helps.

(All images are from Anne's Gallery)

Wow. I can see how when its done right it can really look good. I can also see that I have a few other techniques to get down before I worry about moving to this stage :oops:

I am starting a simple mini today that I may experiment with a bit using some black (or brown ;) ) lining.

Actually, all of those above minis were done using brownlining (or, as Joel Patton coined, "darklining")--they just employ the paint at different consistancies and intensities.  Sorry about that, it's probably hard to tell from the pics! :)  My own brownlining tends to be fairly watered down, so that you can see the colors through it or so that the colors go over it easier, depending on when I execute it.  If you would like to see a true example of blacklining, I just uploaded one to the gallery--Tim Lison, who won the GW Slayer Sword at Golden Demons in Chicago, is doing work for us now, and he just sent us this phenomenal Chaos Wizard!

Chaoswiz_tl.jpg

It's very much a less naturalistic style, but works for this particular mini.

--Anne

I was there when this peice came in. It's incredible. The detail on the snake is awesome, and that book!!!

A great piece of work. Also, as you can tell in the pics, depending on the kind of lining you do, either dark or black or brown or gray, different colors and painting styles can achieve different results.

Yes he did, as well as the pattern on the snake. You can't see the book as clearly, but it is incredible. A whole bunch of tiny little curly-q's all in the corners and so precise. It's a beautiful piece of work.