Sign in to follow this  
Sash

Brush on Sealer + Liner - Why?

Hello,

I sold the new PAINTING GUIDE from OSPREY. I read, that Jennifer Haley uses a Brush on Sealer + Brown Liner as a first basecolour.

I had never heard about the technique, and am wondering. In the book is not written why she uses this and for which reason. Could anyone help me?

Is there a difference between Vallejo matt Varnish and Reaper Brush on Sealer? (I will try it for myself.)

Best whises

Sash

The technique is demonstrated in her videos for Miniature Mentor, basically it's used as a wash to show up the details on the miniature. I hope it's ok to upload this picture, it's a still from the video (which is well worth buying btw)

post-4975-1222109217_thumb.jpg

The reason Brush On Sealer is added is when paint is thinned extremely the pigment tends to fall out of solution as the binder starts to panic. Reaper Brush On Sealer is closer in use, I believe, to Vallejo Acrylic Medium in this case; I'd use that instead of Vallejo's Matt Varnish if you have it.

Yep, essentially it is underpainting, specifically a quickie lining technique. The Brush-On Sealer acts like Matte Medium (which will also work, by the way) and adds transparency to the paint. When used with a liner, which already has a bit of transparency, it makes a fantastic wash medium for underpainting or for your normal everyday paint wash (will also work with most inks as long as they are water-soluble...some better than others).

--Anne ::):

Putting things another way, the sealer helps thin the liner/paint but keeps the pigment in suspension. The sealer is also a bit more viscous than water so also helps the resulting solution stick a bit better in the recesses.

The formula that I use is 1:3:3 (paint:matte medium or sealer:water) for the liners (and adjusted up and down as needed for other colors) for what amounts to a "magic" wash. I sometimes use the Reaper Brush On Sealer and sometimes use Liquitex Matte Medium (mostly depends which bottle is closer).

By applying the wash ahead of time, the details are picked out when the wash settles into the recesses. Later, when the other base colors are applied, a very thin dark line of the dark wash is left to help define the areas that represent different surfaces.

The wash can be applied afterward as well but darkens everything (so also provides quick shading), and the result can look a bit more splotchy (but is totally suitable for army or tabletop painting).

Ron

PS: Whoops, added at the same time Anne was working on her reply.

Would this be the same method used with a miniature you don't want to paint but want to display. ie a vintage mini with no real great detail that I think would look better...not painted?

Or was that another method?? Forgot what that is called.

Thanks

Pepi-

Matte medium makes it 'sticky', which is why you see such a nice depth of color.

The combo makes it thinner.

Does that make any sense?

Matte medium is pretty much a specialized cousin to paint. It's a clear base--acrylic polymer--with nothing else added except for matting agents to dull the shine and flow improvers to enable better mixing and, well, flow. ::): Mixing matte medium with paint is the same as mixing a paint with a clear base, less pigment, and more flow improver and flattener. ::): Mixing water/flow improver/extender introduces two elements not present in matte medium: extra water and extender. The extra water is the opposite of what you want if you are trying to hold pigment in suspension (such as with a wash). The extender would be fine if it were the gel variety and not the watery variety. ::):

Did that make sense? I haven't had my coffee yet! :lol:

--Anne ::D:

Hello,

thank you very much for your help!!!

OK now its time for me to make my first tests. I will sell the Video, when it is on DVD out.

Best wishes

Sash