Sign in to follow this  
morganm

Fastest Stripper?

Just read over the stripping materials compendium. Most of them seem to be agents that work over many hours. Is there one I can use on metal minis that is faster?

Thanks!

Fastest stripper? Dusty Gazongas.

But seriously. Anything more caustic then the ones listed, and I would fear for fingers and/or minis. I do find that Simple Green wors fairly quickly on fresh paint.

Just read over the stripping materials compendium. Most of them seem to be agents that work over many hours. Is there one I can use on metal minis that is faster?

Thanks!

Using Citristrip Gel I have stripped a fig (old sealed fig) to bare metal and reprimed in 30 minutes. Time will vary with type of paint, primer and sealer. With stubborn models brushing WN Brush Cleaner and Resorer in the cracks will get the last remnants of paint off.

Ah, thanks for the tips!

When using that brush cleaner do you have to give the model a good scrub down to get the residue and chemicals off?

You have to scrub a model after using any stripping agent.

If you were talking about spot-stripping, then just taking a few brushfulls of clean water over the area helps to clean off the residue. I'd suggest putting on a layer or two of Dull Cote beforehand as well.

The fastest ever (that I've seen) is a spray can of "Graffitti Remover" I got from a local hardware/DIY store. You MUST wear protective gloves (that are chemical proof) AND take the runoff to a proper waste disposal organization.... all & all, I've never bought the stuff since the first time since it's so toxic and I've got lots of critters (and family members) to worry about...

but you did ask about *faaaast*

I think the Graffitti Remover is a bit much :) Sounds like Gasket Remover (found in automotive parts stores, very caustic, toxic, and removes the toughest gunk from metal almost instantly). I have a special spray bin I use for such chemicals but those are for larger metal automotive parts. It captures those horrible chemicals so that they don't just spray everywhere or drain anywhere.

I just got a bottle of the W&N Brush Cleaner / Restorer. From what people have said I think this should be a good compromise of speed vs toxicity. I'll report back here with my findings! :)

Thx =^.^=

I just got a bottle of the W&N Brush Cleaner / Restorer. From what people have said I think this should be a good compromise of speed vs toxicity. I'll report back here with my findings!
Oh, please do, especially if the mini you're stripping has parts already glued on; I have my attempt at a dervish mini, I converted from Beldan, Ranger by cutting off his kukri and replacing it with Rasha Bladedancer's upper scimitar (with the tip filed down to match Beldan's other scimitar) that I sprayed with black primer a couple years ago, before I finally came back from the dark side and switched to white primer. And learned how much too much primer I had been using on all my minis for all those years...

I'd like to strip him and reprime rather than just spraying white over his already too thick black primer layer, but am hoping not to have to re-pin the blade afterwards if possible. It was a pain in the butt to get it on right the first time.

I've always used Pine-Sol on the rare occasions when I strip minis, but it's not at all quick and it leaves paint stuck in the tight nooks. It also smells rather overly... coniferous... for my liking. Not that I don't like the aroma of pine, but that stuff will stink up an entire floor of my house if I leave the jar out, and I don't know how good the fumes can possibly be for my kids.

PS.

Fastest stripper? Dusty Gazongas.

Really? I heard it was a toss-up between Chesty LaRue and Busty St. Clair. ::P:

Kang

As a reward for changing the Oxygen Sensor, Knock Sensor, and tail light on my car so I could get to work the next day I broke out my painting stuff at midnight :D

The Windsor Newton Brush Cleaner and Restorer was like magic. Put some in a little container and just started 'painting' the mini. Took a minute or so for the stuff to soak in but then it started pulling paint off with every stroke. Made a right mess of the brush I was using. Had to use more brush cleaner to clean up those when I was done also.

There was a spot of Elmer's glue on the bottom of the mini from when I had it glued to a stick to aid in painting it. This glue was eaten off as well. While I don't know exactly what it will do to your glue or epoxy used to pin that mini I thought it relevant to share.

Thanks!

Using Citristrip Gel I have stripped a fig (old sealed fig) to bare metal and reprimed in 30 minutes. Time will vary with type of paint, primer and sealer. With stubborn models brushing WN Brush Cleaner and Resorer in the cracks will get the last remnants of paint off.

I just wanted to add, i have also used Citrus strip gel for removing acrylics on old out of production minis that I collect off of ebay. I just keep a jar half full of it on my storage shelf, and when i get one i need to strip, "ploosh!" in the tank it goes. Even minis that were painted in the 80's come clean within a day with the help of a toothbrush. You can use the citrus strip for a long time this way. Also, it is not chemically hazardous to humans, although if you ingest it, it can't be good. It is also biostable, and does not harm the environment. You can't beat that. Heck, it even smells nice, and the fumes are not harmful! Throw all the harsh stuff away and switch to citrus strip.

Happy mini-ing,

Mr T

OK I used some now on a DDM pre-painted plastic that I had screwed up on. It stripped off the GW paints easy enough but it barely touched the paint that WotC put on. Not really an issue as that paint is applied so thin to begin with that no details are obscured. Just an observation I noted.

Also the plastic mini became slightly rubbery when lots of W&N Brush Cleaner was used. It was almost like the eraser on a pencil. However the next day it seems normal. Again; just my observation using this on 2 DDMs.

Thanks!

Is acetone not fast enough?