Magic wash - first time

Dweller

Using magic wash for the first time on one of the pieces from Treasure Hoard 2 (2320) and so far (just been applied) I am already impressed.

I am using a 4:1 ratio of water to Future floor polish and Walnut (18023) to give that "almost black but not quite black" look to the shadows.

As soon as the brush touched the mini I was stunned. It was like this stuff had legs of its own. It crawled into the nooks and crannys so well I was amazed.

I will report back when it dries to let you know what I think of the results :)

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent results. This is now taking a permanent position in my (small but growing) bag of tricks :) If you are having any doubts about it or are having any problems with normal washes you owe it to yourself to try this out :)

I used 4 parts water, 1 part future floor polish. $6.09 bought the only size bottle I could find. I looked for a smaller one but ended up with 27 ounces which in this case is a lifetime supply. I but 1 brushload of paint onto the pallette and then added a few (maybe 10?) drops of wash. Enough so when I dragged it up the sides of the "cups" in the pallette that it would flow down without leaving particles behind.

Appllied it to the mini with excellent results. It sunk into all the crevices exactly like I wanted leaving no rings or blotches anywhere.

I will be trying this on flesh next. I have been having issues with washes lately on large areas of flesh.

When ever I see this topic on the forum it says "Future Floor Polish" now I imagine this is some form of US brand floor polish. Could someone please give details of what is in it etc so I can try and find an equivliant here in the UK. Or if someone already knows what to get please let me know thanks.

Stuart

Word of warning: be careful using magic wash with Vajello paints.  I've found that something in the wash makes the paint float (for lack of a better word) on a mini rather than actually adhering to it.  I use plain filtered water to thin Vajello paints.

I'm looking for the ingrediants but don't see it on the bottle..hrm.  Some descriptives for it are "tough acrylic floor finish for no-wax & regular floors" and is made by SC Johnson company.  I found their website but I can't find Future listed anywhere.  There is a 1-800 number if you'd like to call it to see what it's made out of? 1800-558-5252 or write:

Helen Johnson

2000 S.C. Johnson & Son, Inc.

Racine, WI  53403-2236 USA

I did a quick search and found an old usenet posting about it.

Future = Johnsons Klear

I assume you have heard of Klear?

Good luck :)

Domni - Thanks for the warning. My FLGS just started stocking Vallejo so I will be picking some up soon.

• Reaper User
I will be trying this on flesh next. I have been having issues with washes lately on large areas of flesh.

Hi Dweller,

The answer to doing fantastic skin tones is actually to not use washes at all, but the magic wash would work if you just touched it to eyeballs (to outline the eyes) the line of the mouth, and any places where hair, clothing, or other non-skin accessories meet the skin.  You would do that after applying your basecoat, which would be one shade darker than the skin tone you're using principally.  Then you go back in and highlight the raised areas of the face and muscles, leaving your "one shade darker" tone in the places you would usually find wash.  Successive highlights would be gotten by adding white or off-white (Linen White is fantastic) to your principal skin color, and applied wherever light would normally fall on a human face.

Hope that helps!

--Anne

Believe me, Anne's method makes a lot more sense, especially when you see it actually done. You build up, in layers, rather than building down, then up, then down, then up, as washes tend to do.

I've tried to do the wash method, and all it seems to do is make the skin look dirty and uneven.

*Dweller looks over at the instructions that came with "Learn to paint kit - 2 : Skin and Cloth" then looks back at Anne's nickname*

Im not worthy!

Im not worthy!

:p

I have painted both the figs in this kit twice now and although I am closer to what I want I have yet to come up with the desired effect. They are both being stripped again and starting over. The oiled leather and dragon black wash has given me trouble. I think I am using too much black. "slightly darker" is where I am messing it up I think. In my relatively new mind (to painting) mind washes should be very dark. I see now looking at the pics thats not necessarily the case :)

I will take your advice as gospel and give it another go. Thanks Anne :)

• Reaper User

Yes, the Learn-to-Paint Kit II was supposed to still be geared toward beginners, so washes were used over the skin--though I believe with Laurana's face I used the wash on eyes, mouth, and around the hairline only.  Can't remember, it was so long ago!!   :laugh:

The next Learn-to-Paint Kit will be no-holds-barred, NMM and layering, tough stuff.  :)

--Anne

I haven't purchased one of the Paint kits, mainly because I already have the colours (but not the Reep brand I fear), and know the "basics".

Living up in the middle of nowhere though, and having a non-regular job, it's more than a little difficult to get together with other painters to learn new techniques, and reading about how to do them, just doesn't cut it.  (They sort of sound like stereo instructions, without knowing exactely how the stereo is supposed to look.)

So, this idea just came to me...

How about whipping up a Self Instructional Video as part of "A learn to paint kit".  Especially for the more advanced techniques.  Seeing it done, is much different than reading about how it's done.

That's my "Million Dollar Idea" for the day.  Back to standard brain jello-nish now.  

:p

• Reaper User

No doubt that would work if I would let myself be photographed, but you know, I've broken enough cameras in my life.  :;):  I don't know, I'm still not convinced of the effectiveness of videos.  I'd rather do a painting Grand Tour and try to hit a whole bunch of spots all over the U.S. and, heck, even the world!!  :)  Live demos are infinitely better than video, because you can get closer and ask questions, and try things I'm showing you as I'm showing them so you can get immediate feedback if something isn't working.  :)  

--Anne

I have to disagree on being able to get closer live.  I will soon be starting on a series of programs on mini-painting, and with the proper camera and lighting, you can get very close and see a lot of detail on how the paint is actually applied.

That being said, the interactive nature of live training is definitely better.

Perhaps if Anne would PM me a mailing address, I would be able to send her a copy of episode 1 when it is complete (assuming that all parties will be able to get together soon . . .)

No doubt that would work if I would let myself be photographed, but you know, I've broken enough cameras in my life.  :;):  .

You could always grab some really big "beetle" sun glasses, a fake Santa Beard, and talk through your nose.  Nobody would ever know it was really you.   :D

I'd rather do a painting Grand Tour and try to hit a whole bunch of spots all over the U.S. and, heck, even the world!!  :)  

That's the trouble... Edmonton isn't in the U.S.  It's in the middle of a *really* big field...  The Stones don't even come here, though Poison and Vince Neil are playing in a few weeks.  :blues:

Also, is there any chance of your show being aired over the internet Benham?  We've got satallite TV, but I doubt we get your local PBS station.

When ever I see this topic on the forum it says "Future Floor Polish" now I imagine this is some form of US brand floor polish. Could someone please give details of what is in it etc so I can try and find an equivliant here in the UK. Or if someone already knows what to get please let me know thanks.

Stuart

"Future" is indeed a brand, but all you need is an acrylic floor finish. I use a generic brand and I get great results.