NMM practice

jatbugg

Ok, so I actually painted one of the characters that came with the NMM tutorial that Anne wrote. Good Tutorial. I just need to wrap my head around the whole highlight difference when compared to normal cloth. I also discovered (at least it seems to me) that gold NMM is much harder to do than silver NMM. But, the artist is his own worst critic, so you can tell me what you think. ^_^

post-4428-1222669536_thumb.jpg

post-4428-1222669555.jpg

• Like 1

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice NMM! Funny, I have found silver to be tougher than gold. Everyone's a bit different ::):.

As for critiques, I think pushing the highlights up to pure white would help to sell it more. The highlight (at least on my monitor) seem just a bit shy of pure white. IMHO, it is very convincing on the loincloth ("softer" material) versus the armor where the highlights need to be pure white to suggest at highly reflective metallic object.

Hope this is useful,

Jabber

I'm going to guess that your photo has less contrast than the actual figure. You may want to try P3 Morrow White (by Privateer Press) for a super brilliant white, for the last tiny highlight. Your blending looks great, just make sure you go from an almost black to a pure white. I think gold is harder too, FWIW.

Thank you! ^_^ Yeah, I was thinking that the highlights on the gold didn't look quite bright enough. maybe the paint was too thin or something. I'm sure with more practice I'll get better at it, beings that this was only my second attempt at NMM. Thank you for the compliment!

I hesitated to post anything on this thread, because I have nothing constructive to say. I think this is a really splendid-looking mini. The NMM is great, but the fabrics are absolutely gorgeous. This might seem like a weird question, but what brand of paint do you use?

lol. Around here that isn't a strange question at all. I used the reaper miniatures paints that comes with the learn to paint kit, plus a couple extra that I had on hand of the same brand. I have found that the quality of paint that you use makes a big difference as far as quality of your paint job.

That is true. I use a few different paints depending on what I want to do. AS for the overall look of your mini..... I'm jealous. I have painted this same mini three times. Twice using the LHTPNMM book. Niehter time did it come out looking like yours. Well done! Keep up the good work.... Back to practicing for me! LOL.

Thanks! In total, if you minus the months I haven't painted, I've been painting for about six months. If you add the months I haven't painted, then it'll be a year this month. Not metallic metal is a toughy for me. But, I tend to obsess over things I'm not good at till I have it down. Thank you for all the comments! ^_^

I think your NMM is excellent, especially considering how long you've been painting. It's really well-blended in many areas.

If I were to get very critical (with the intent of being helpful), I'd recommend you reduce your hottest highlights, pull back on the surface area in which they cover. This will help make them pop more as reflections than appear as broad swaths of light. The hottest reflections on metal shine along very narrow lines, even though the light may bend around and lighten a majority of the surface. You're better off saving your hotter/hottest colors for very, very small areas of surface -- along edges, upon tips, etc. Especially so with white.

This appears to be the trouble you're having with your gold. Your highlights appear across too broad of a surface. Try to stick closer to your midtones and deepen your shadows on your gold. I use Reaper Walnut on all my golds to create the real deep dark brown with which gold will be shaded. You can also bring your gold tips/topmost highlights to white. Gold will *POP* hot, hot white if shiny and not antiqued. So push your contrasts -- darker shadows, hotter highlights.

But your blending is lovely. Really superb. Keep working. You're a natural. ::):