Oriental figures?

Rom, Spaceknight

Could anyone recommend some good miniatures for an Oriental Adventures game?

In particular, I'm looking for shugenja.  Any Reaper figures you think would be workable here?  any good non-Reaper figs you know of?

Also, a good female samurai figure would be cool.  (I really wish Reaper made one of those.)

thanks

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

here's the deal AEG's LOFR series is the alpha and omega of the figures you're looking for.

UNfortunately...AEG is no longer making them & they are out of print. Search on-line for what you can get hold of right now, but...

FORtunately REAPER ITSELF now has the license to cast these figs. They will be recasting MANY of them, tho' i don't know about ALL.

So, what should you look for?

All the different clans have different figs - and a variety of them - but I would pay particular attention to:

Scorpion clan - lots of ninja types, but also spell casters. Someone else should help me out here for which other clans were spellcaster heavy.

Lion clan - again, not the only source for what you're looking for, but in my FLGS, the Lion clan seemed to have the best (and largest variety of) female samurai.

so pay attention to upcoming releases...and to CW for news on when the whole LOFR series will begin hitting stores

Okay.. .let's see.. where to start! I've got a little bit of an army started of OA type minis... let me give you a short tour:

As preciously stated, AEG's Legend of the Five Rings "Clan War" Game is probably the best... mainly because it was the most popular, and it's in 28mm 'GW' scale... Reaper is supposed to be releasing some of them... eventually (can't get a solid date out of them :) )...

Also, Foundry has 5 sets of Samurai Miniatures available..

Not sure who makes them, but I've got a few of the China Town miniatures... some of them make good monks or shukenja types... These are 28mm figures

Perry Miniatures has a range called 'The Age of Wars' featuring Samurai Armies from 1550AD - 1615AD... Some pretty nice stuff in there! I'm not sure if it's 28mm, or 25mm, however. Since it's 'historical', I'd bet on the latter!

Hundred Kingdoms also has some Samurai in their 'Bushido Clan'. I have a few of these miniatures as well, and they are the same scale as Clan War....

Dixon Miniatures has a HUGE range of Oriental Figures... They're all 25mm (Historical), and the detail is not the best... but they look good on a table if you're looking for 'rank and file' types...

Old Glory Miniatures... Another Historical Mini Company.... 25mm...I have no experience with these guys, but I think that they make 'Ghost' Miniatures, which didn't impress me much, except that they're inexpensive.

Oh, and I noticed last week that  Iron Wind Metals finally added some of the old Ral Partha Bushido line to their catalog! Whoop! That's about 15-20 miniatures..mostly ninja, but there are a few SWEET samurai mixed in there (including two blisters of undead armored samurai... just too sweet).

Anyway.. that's my $.02... or more. :) Hope I've helped!

Also, Foundry has 5 sets of Samurai Miniatures available..

Perry Miniatures has a range called 'The Age of Wars' featuring Samurai Armies from 1550AD - 1615AD... Some pretty nice stuff in there! I'm not sure if it's 28mm, or 25mm, however. Since it's 'historical', I'd bet on the latter!

Dixon Miniatures has a HUGE range of Oriental Figures... They're all 25mm (Historical), and the detail is not the best... but they look good on a table if you're looking for 'rank and file' types...

Old Glory Miniatures... Another Historical Mini Company.... 25mm...I have no experience with these guys, but I think that they make 'Ghost' Miniatures, which didn't impress me much, except that they're inexpensive.

The Perry Minis line are "true 28s," that is, 25mm to the eyes. They're awesome figures though. The OG figures are not 25mm but true 28s, and are slightly larger than Perry Minis. And yes, they also produce the "Ghost" line. The Medieval Japanese line is very complete, and is decently detailed. May mix with AEG figures if you are selective. Makes a good range of Ashigaru, including Teppo-gunners (which are better than the other packs). Many of Foundry's figures are of the "personalities" type, and include such personalities like Takeda Shingen and Oda Nobunaga. Dixon's figures tend to have bloated "pumpkin heads" and I tend to dislike them, but again they are true 28s.

1st Corps (http://www.1stcorps.co.uk/) also has a fairly recent range of Samurai, though of an earlier period than the ones above (approx. 13th C Mongol Invasions period). Never seen the figures but they look nice and 1st Corps is known for decent figures.

West Wind (http://www.westwindproductions.co.uk/index.asp) also does a line of Samurai that looks pretty good (incl Christian samurai!). Never seen them but should be OG sized but slightly better detailed.

Note for all figure measurements I've used the "American" system.

Damon.

Cool.  That's a lot to dig thru.

Undead Samurai sound great.  Would go with this Undead Ninja figure lying around.  (Think it was a Ral Partha one, can't be sure anymore.  It's certainly unique among my gaming group.)

I actually played the L5R card game for a while.  (was pretty good, if I say so myself.)  so I'm familiar with the characters in Clan War.  Trouble is, those minis are a little expensive, being from a tabletop battle game.  Finding them on clearance would be perfect.  I don't suppose any of you are referring to stores near Connecticut?

I guess I can be patient for the Reaper reprints.

thanks for the ideas.  more are always welcome.

I haven't been there in a couple of months, but The Citadel in Groton, CT still had quite a bit of Clan War mini's in stock.  I don't remember if they were on clearance or not, but they were in a pile of older stock instead of hanging on the wall.  Pat, the owner will be more than happy to show you where they are or call his distributer to see if he can get you more.

As an aside, he also has some older Reapers (some still in the Dark Heaven and DHA blisters).  I picked up quite a few (formerly) OOP mini's there.

I have always thought that with the right paintscheme, that #14034 Eredain would make a great oriental sorceror.

Hope that helps.

I haven't been there in a couple of months, but The Citadel in Groton, CT still had quite a bit of Clan War mini's in stock.  

Incredible, everybody seems to have CW figures left and I didn´t know about it  ???  . I´m still trying to finish off my CW collection, the object being to be able to play the game with any two clans so I can get new people interested in the game without them having to buy figures that don´t exist anymore. So I´m very interested in any CW stuff. I´d be thankful if anybody who still sells (or knows about anybody who sells) CW blisters of the following could PM me about it:

- Naga (anything, except Qarash, Shashakar and Qamar)

- Crane (any unit blisters)

- Crab (any unit blisters except Hida Houseguard)

- Unicorn (any unit blisters except Shinjo Houseguard and Unicorn Striders)

- Toturi (any unit blisters)

- Shadowlands (any undead unit blisters)

- Scorpion (any unit blisters, Undead Shoju)

- Dragon (any unit blisters except Medium Elite, Dragon Talons, Dragon Scales, Ise Zumi, Mirumoto Houseguard)

- Lion (any unit blisters except Lioness Legion, Heavy Elite)

- Yoritomo´s Alliance (anything)

Sorry for the shameless sales bid, but I´m pretty desperate for these things at the moment (oh, and notice to the reaper peeps: if Reaper could start producing these AEG figs, I and a bunch of other people I know´d be happy campers :-) ).

Rom: if you need shugenjas, look for the AEG shugenja or courtier blisters, they have at least two (sometimes four) different shugenjas and they look pretty good. If you need a list of all the published AEG figures, you can go to the Onicrusher site ( http://www.plansofmice.co.uk/clanwar/ ). They´ve got a pretty exhaustive list of all the stuff with pictures of most of the figures.