DaVinci Maestro Kolinsky Brushes

morganm

Here's some pics of some size 1 brushes, W&N S7, Da Vinci Maestro & Rosemary & Co series 33.

Funny how I could look at those brushes and pick out which was which. :blink:::P:

well, I was going to only show the second image, but though people would like to see the brush handle lengths. Brush p0rn! :rolleyes:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The brushes I enjoy and will probably never walk away from are the WN Series 7 minis. I use a size 1, 2, 0, 2/0 and 3/0 from that line. I also enjoy the Raphael 8400 series brushes only 3/0. I use this brush for most of my work. It is good for laying down broad layers of paint on most medium humanoid 28mm minis and then has a point fine enough to do small details. I am like derek in that i abuse my brushes but with a bit of soap and brush reshaper I have been able to preserve my brushes for a while.

I am trying the dick blick red sable brushes as they are $2.50 a piece. We'll see how they work.

Brushes are a very personal thing. I am a 100% oil painter. I bought a selection of the Rosemary & Company Series 33 brushes and have been superimpressed with them. The handle is slightly thinner than a W&N Series 7 but still has a good "feel" to it. My personal opinion is that the W&N Series 7 you get today is nothing like the one's we bought 10 years ago. For the price, Rosemary & Company leads the pack.

Replacement brushes came and none of them had a protector around the bristles! I was very dissapointed to see that but I thought I'd run them through some clean water and see if I couldn't straighten them out. Little water, a few brush strokes on paper, and they snapped right into position. Even got to use them this weekend and really like them a lot :D

you ordered from dickblick? I did too and my brush was in the same state. Just an FYI if you do ever have an issue with a brush just email them, explain the condition it arrived in and they will send a replacement. I've had to do that before when I got a brush that was badly mangled. They may have issues when things are sent out on occassion but they have great customer service.

• Artists

Last time I ordered brushes from Dick Blick, I got one mushed one that shipped without a protector, which all the rest had. I told them about it (and why it was mushed) and they sent another out - still with no protector! Being a single it was packaged in such a way that it wasn't ruined, though. I got to wondering if the brush companies supply the protectors and that one didn't, but it seemed silly not to slap one on the replacement that was sent out. I suspect they'd have gone on sending me replacements until I was happy with one, though!

yeah Dickblick has always been good about sending replacements. The nice thing is they don't expect you to send the damaged product back so if you get a damaged brush just stick it in your "crud brush" container and use it for drybrushing, laying paint on thick, or whatever have you.

w00t! I just received my first 3 Da Vinci Maestro Series 10 brushes in the post. I purchased the 000, 0, and 1 sizes from Jackson's Art Supplies in London for about 4 quid apiece and can't wait to try them out tonight. I made the switch from "generic" Kolinsky sable brushes to W&N Series 7 brushes about 5 years ago, so I can't say I'm expecting much of an upgrade but, like a complete fool, I left my beloved W&Ns behind in the States and found myself in the position of having to buy new kit. I'm very glad this forum thread was posted... I can already see why these brushes are so highly regarded!

~Off to the painting table~