Sign in to follow this  
DarusGrey

Some beginner questions:

I've only been painting for about a month now, and still have alot of questions that I can't find satisfactory answers for elsewhere, so if anyone has the time, would appreciate answers.

#1. What are "silks and Satins"..I see paints of that variety, and am confused, are they for painting cloth, or do they have some odd texture or other quality?

#2. Ive been trying different paints, but have yet to make any large purchases, from everything I read, Reaper and Vallejo seem to be the top choices, what really are the differances?.

#3. I really enjoy this hobby and definetly plan to dedicate a good chunk of my time to it, and would like to build myself a small workshop, Outside of the obvious Brushes, paints, and a chair that I see suggested everywhere, what are some of the Possibly more obscure things people would suggest I purchase that they use/would help in painting.

#4. I Understand alot of basic termanology of painting, but alot of other terms are still a mystery to me, such as layering, blending, (just Examples,..lots more) Anyone know of a good miniature painting Glossary, or similar?.

Thank you for your time.

Edited in: To think, all I wanted was a painted mini for playing LG..at gen con im at reaper booth and ask the one guy who seemed to be in charge.."Do you guys offer any mini painting services?"

"No...but I can help you reach good commission artists"

"How much do they typically charge?"

"$100-$150 is pretty standard, but these are Golden Demon Winning artists"

"Bah..**** that...I'll just buy your "Learn to paint" Kit..good-day"

I cant help but feel Duped!..

#1 Sort of like metalics, they have their uses. Kinda like pearl effect paint as apposed to pearl coloured paint.

#2 Reaper slightly more fluid, Val. slightly less fluid

Val better bottles, Reaper have an agitator

#3 Some kind of comfortable magification, and a nice clear light, not fluoro.

#4 Check out Anne's tutorial pages, on the Reapermini.com

but a good idea is to read back throught the how to paint section on the boards, and look at old pictures for descriptions and examples.

:D

My most commonly used tools:  toenail clippers, needle files, x-acto knife, Dremel, and a jeweler's saw.

My most commonly-used materials that aren't paint or pewter: CA glue (zap-a-gap brand), sheet-metal squares for bases, aquarium rock (unused) kitty litter, paper clips, and Woodland Scenics Blended Turf, Fine Ballast, and Static Grass.

For primers and sealers, I use Krylon White and Black primers, and Krylon Matte spray for a sealer.

You need a pin-vice and drills ( a tiny drill and drill-bits) if you want to skip the dremel. I'm currently using a paint on matte sealer to seal sections of big minis as i complete them.

Hey, Darus. Welcome to the boards.

Here's some answers:

1. This seems adequately covered by others.

2. Here's a good, recent thread discussing your question: I found'm!

3. Good replies for this already, but I'll add some things. I use cupboard stands to hold my paints on my table -- that is, small, step-like risers usually used for holding herbs and spices in kitchen cabinets. This is handy for seeing all of your paints arranged before you and for saving space. You can find them at Wal-mart for about $2 each.

I also use and am extremely pleased with the following magnification: Mag-Eyes. Try them, you'll like them.

I'll echo the use of Krylon primers and recommend Testor's Dullcote for sealing. I'll echo needing needle files (for sure!) and a pin-vice or dremel. I'd also say (not to be a cynic) that you'll want some Simple Green for stripping those few minis that "just don't turn out quite right"... Believe me, you'll have a couple of those.

Beyond this, you'll be good to go.

4. Just do web searches for the technique you're interested in (NMM, layering, etc.) but include the words miniature painting as well. Also, try here: The Painting Clinic. I've learned a bit there. But really, these boards are your best bet for learning. The people here are great and very willing to help anyone and everyone with their questions.

Have fun!

Okay here's what I got for you:

#1: The silks and satins are a TRANSPARENT paint, made to give effects to a basecoat. If you want your elf maiden to have a shimmer to her dress, these are what you would use for that effect. These are great paints, btw.

#2: I have almost all the Reaper paints, but keep something in mind for both brands... they are built so that if you buy one color, such as red, you can also buy the shade and highlight. This can also be achieved by just buying some black and white and mixing your paints. You have more control over how dark or light your paints come out, and you have less paints to juggle. In both brands I've seen it recommended that you thin your paints. I use a mix of 1/3 water, 1/3 extender and 1/3 paint. It might be a little thin for some, but you can adjust as you wish. Also, viscosity of different colors and brands will change the mix as well.

#3 Just remember that GOOD brushes are a must. While they are expensive, the Kolinsky Sable Windsor & Newton Series 7 are excellent brushes. I also advice getting some needle files and an exacto knife for removing flash. If you don't want to spend a lot of money on the MagEyes or other such things, high-powered cheap reading glasses (I got mine for $6 at a used book store) work wonders. I also use old glass jars for my various types of water (rinse water with brush cleaner added, plain water for second rinse, plain water for adding to paint). Always make certain you take care of your brushes, and they'll take care of you. Also, for primering, if you find it's too humid/always raining/too hot/too cold to use the spray primer, Reaper makes an excellent white brush-on primer. I find it easier to use than the spray.

#4 Terminology. I know we got a short glossary around here somewhere.... Let me look and see if I can find it.

Check out Anne's tutorial pages, on the Reapermini.com

Does anyone have I link to this.  I couldn't find it and would like to check it out. thanks

oh I am sorry for being redundant.  I was thinking of something different. I thought it was by Anne.  This is a helpful page too.  One of the first I ever read.

Nope, not anything there by me, yet!  But do give Derek's tutorials a read-through, and if you're interested in seeing other work of Derek's (his resume, so to speak...*grins*), check out the painted gallery--the link is in my sig, below.  :)  Especially his Lysette, on page four.

--Anne

Check out Anne's tutorial pages, on the Reapermini.com

Does anyone have I link to this.  I couldn't find it and would like to check it out. thanks

OOps my bad, thought I saw it come up in a thread......

Check out GW's new 'How to paint Citidel Minis' too.  It has a lot of good advice both for painting armies, and for doing more 'professional' pieces.  Remember that more then one point of view is a good thing.

T

Thanks for all the useful advice guys, its helped alot, really.

Below are the first two minis I ever painted, first on left, second on right. The glossy finish doesnt flatter them in the photo sadly ;>

Well I hardly would praise either..the drastic increase in quality keeps getting noticable everyone I do,

So Far I've been just doing my gaming group's minis as my Guinea Pigs, they get free paint jobs and I get free practice ;>

firstminis.jpg