Zonelarm/AVG conflict

Enchantra

I solved the issue (so far) but I'm writing this so others are aware of it...

I was getting ready for work this morning. At 6:30 in the morning I am FAR from awake. AVG pops up these little boxes saying it's found a Trojan horse and asks me if I want it taken care of. Of course I say yes. The computer runs fine the rest of my time on it this morning and then I go to work.

Tonight I jump onto my computer. First thing I notice is pages aren't loading. Weird. So I do what I automatically do in such cases - I check my cable modem for power and cable. It checks out so I next reboot the modem and my router. I can load pages for about 45 seconds and then I get the same page loading error messages about the server not being found. I scratch my head. Dad then informs me his internet access is working just fine and he runs off the same network as I do. Hrm.....

I remembered the little boxes that AVG popped up and decided to check it out. I pulled up the AVG virus vault. It turns out AVG decided ZoneAlarm was a trojan horse and quaranteened it! Now I have been running these programs together now for a couple years with no problems, no conflict, no issues to note. So I emptied the virus vault of it's contents - which had no real viruses in it. Tried accessing the internet again - no dice.

The solution so far that has worked is I uninstalled Zonelarm completely and then reinstalled it with a fresh copy.

Anyone else had experience with this and how did you fix it?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a full copy of AVG that made browsing here of all place a major PiTA. Installed it when I got back from our coast vacation this year & after 3 days of constant time outs & slow browsing, I uninstalled it & went with the free version. No conflicts. (odd very odd). Probably was due to I didn't tweak the setting or such, but at least I got my cash back for it.

RM

I had exactly the same problem, and had to go through the exact same solution. I assume that this was due to an update of AVG as they have both been playing nice until a couple of days ago. Then, I update AVG, it deletes a load of ZomeAlarm stuff (which I assumed was from the virus vault) and then my web connect just stopped working. Took off ZA and reinstalled, and all is quiet again.

I had exactly the same problem, and had to go through the exact same solution. I assume that this was due to an update of AVG as they have both been playing nice until a couple of days ago. Then, I update AVG, it deletes a load of ZomeAlarm stuff (which I assumed was from the virus vault) and then my web connect just stopped working. Took off ZA and reinstalled, and all is quiet again.

Bingo. Mine had always played nice together as well and I have been using the free version of both ZoneAlarm and AVG as well. Since the reinstallation and a couple more updates on the part of both I haven't had another problem - yet. I have my AVG set to update automatically when I boot up my computer, and my ZoneAlarm does it's updates automatically as they are created.