'The Army Painter' Quick Shade / Strong Tone

sethohman

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A link to what you're asking about might be helpful. :poke:

My guess is this is yet another variation on Magic Wash. Do a search for that and you'll find multiple threads on it.

Basic mix is:

3:3:1 of glaze medium or matte varnish(liquid) : water : liner

Future Floor Wax has been used as well but personally I don't recommend it and Anne says it doesn't play well with the Master Series paints. I use it as a varnish, but not as an additive.

I guess you could use ink rather than liner but I know they have a different formulation and sometimes react in unexpected ways with paint. Personally I haven't tried yet.

This actually looks like a repackage of something akin to Minwax Polyshade. You might just try this technique first.

-AW

LOL! That is so true! The guy just repackaged wood stain... "Dipping", while it makes me shudder personally, is an ancient method of army painting. Just look online for plenty of articles about it. You can also pick a more refined method using the "Gately Goop", but it's all basically applying a darkening agent (stain or ink) using a clear medium to give it coverage and translucency (polyurethane or acrylic matte medium).

WOW... And he's selling it for $30 a can! Dang, that beats $10 at the hardware store. ::P:

I really hate it when people try to make a fast buck on hobbyists by repackaging other products under their own label and jacking the price up. ($10 Krylon spray primer GW??) Like the guy who runs Renaissance Inks. He and I used to clash on mini-painter back in the day because he sold Liquitex acrylic texture mediums in smaller bottles for twice the price... ::o:

Take care,

Laszlo

Future Floor Wax has been used as well but personally I don't recommend it and Anne says it doesn't play well with the Master Series paints. I use it as a varnish, but not as an additive.

Hmm... I use MS paints exclusively, and I use Future-based "magic" washes. I use between 5:1 and 10:1 wash:paint depending on application, and my wash is 5:1 water:Future. Do you recall what exactly the poor behaviour is? I may be getting less than optimal results through simple ignorance!

Thanks for the link, Rastl, but I'm still not sure what to make of the discussion (I see a lot of "they're bad together!!", but not any HOW they're bad together - I don't really care about WHY, or about potential or real toxicity). I think I'll try out my Reaper flow improver instead of the Future-based stuff next time I do a wash to find out what I've been missing regarding the actual performance of the wash as it pertains to making my mini look prettier.

Oh, and for the record, Future does indeed taste bloody putrid. I wouldn't intentionally lick a brush I'm using to wash, but old habits...

• Reaper User

Back in the day when MSP's first came out, there were a few reports of "curdling" when mixed with Future or Golden mediums, where the paint didn't mix in smoothly but instead made clots which did not dissolve into solution, causing a globby mess. This caused me to state that people should be careful and test their mix before using it, but many simply started using other mediums (Liquitex or Winsor & Newton matte medium, or MSP Brush-on-Sealer) for their wash recipes just to be safe. ::):

Now, it is certainly possible that this is no longer a problem, since we had to change our colored bases when the old ones we were using stopped being made. The new bases have a different pH and it would be great if that inadvertently fixed the issue. ::): But my advice is still to always test when you try mixing any brand of paint with a new product; you never know!

--Anne ::):

Back in the day when MSP's first came out, there were a few reports of "curdling" when mixed with Future or Golden mediums, where the paint didn't mix in smoothly but instead made clots which did not dissolve into solution, causing a globby mess. This caused me to state that people should be careful and test their mix before using it, but many simply started using other mediums (Liquitex or Winsor & Newton matte medium, or MSP Brush-on-Sealer) for their wash recipes just to be safe. ::):

Now, it is certainly possible that this is no longer a problem, since we had to change our colored bases when the old ones we were using stopped being made. The new bases have a different pH and it would be great if that inadvertently fixed the issue. ::): But my advice is still to always test when you try mixing any brand of paint with a new product; you never know!

But Anne that answer takes away the fun of your best-es remark of all time. Something like: "No I am not going to make my paint play nice with your floor polish." ::D:

• Reaper User
But Anne that answer takes away the fun of your best-es remark of all time. Something like: "No I am not going to make my paint play nice with your floor polish." ::D:

/gives Psyberwolfe a gold star for remembering that quote. ::D:

I believe it was actually "And no, I won't reformulate MY paint line to play nice with YOUR floor polish!!!" :lol:

Heard more on this - and I guess it is an oil / polyurethane or something base - not water soluable. Sounds very close to re-packaged MinWax.

Thanks for the help! I will try the Glaze Madium magic wash - much cheaper, anyways. Now, to pick a liner color that works well......