03312: Townsfolk: Cultists and Victim

anvil

My latest effort. New things tried - Layering, NMM (failed), Hirstarts floor tiles, blood stains. I need to work on my layering, and the NMM frustrated me to the point of just giving up. One step at a time, I think. I like how the faces on the cultists turned out but was unable to get a good picture of them. I also like the color choices. Overall I'm generally pleased. CCW always welcome.

post-1107-1224207611_thumb.jpg

post-1107-1224207633_thumb.jpg

post-1107-1224207653_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Screw NMM. ;-) This is a great-looking little diorama. Your brush control is really excellent (especially on the books/scroll). Like you, I am also working on my transparency layering to achieve smoother blends. My only advice would be to keep on thinning those paints for the highlights.

I really like this. I didn't notice any discrepancies in the NMM, and I really like the highlighting you did. I think it's funny, though, the I dunno what near the girl's head (it's in the upper left hand side of the stone circle in the top pic) looks amazingly similar to a hot dog. you know, just in case the cultists get hungry during their saiance. Anyway, great job! ^_^

I really like the diorama.

One nit...The girl is laying in blood...but there's no wound on her (that I could see). That's the only thing that bugs me. Could be that she hasn't been stabbed yet (no blood on the sacrificial knife), but seems odd that the blood stains match her body exactly. This is me being picky. :-)

Someone also gave me a tip about using Tamiya clear red (or something like that) for really vivid red blood/gore. Might be a fun place to play with it.

Really nice. Have you discovered how addictive the Hirst blocks are?

Thank you all for the replies. I thought the "hot dogs" near her head were extra candles so I painted them all to match. I figured that this was some sort of ritual sacrifice, and as such would be performed the same way each time, hence the blood stains not being more widespread, plus the blood would drain off in the cracks in the pavement before it could spread too far. Rationalizations, all, no doubt. As an aside, if you place the victim next to one of the cultists, she is the same height even though she's curled up, so I figured that amazon would need to be sedated for the whole thing so she wouldn't be able to escape and kill the cultists. The thoughts that go through your head while painting a figure, sheesh! ::D:

She has no toes, I toyed with the idea of carving toes, painting toes, or making the feet look like booties, but in the end they wound up mutant, toe-less feet. Laziness on my part. I have about 10 hours from blister to photo's in this one. Thanks to Jester for the speed-painting class.