BLENDING!?!?!!!!

MamaGeek

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What Ollie said. ::D:

As for the CMON book, I would think that one through a little more, MG. Basically it is all the same tutes that are posted on CMON but published in a book format. As far as I know, there is nothing in the book that you can't get online. As long as you know that and you want the same info in an ebook format, then go for it. It's not that expensive anyway.

Ollie, have you heard anything new about Jeremie Bonamont's Big Book of Mini Painting being translated yet? Last I heard, they were having problems getting a publisher and there was no publication date in sight. I have the French version of that book, and it's amazing, but not very useful for those who did not major in French... :poke:

The book is disgustingly cool...even in french!!! As for the english version, yes there are problems. They need it to be translated and then published which will cost lots of dough and no one has stepped up so far. Its really only about 5,000 dollars or so to do the translation but then you have to publish it, and well, thats the problem. I hope they do though because it is sick. Its something that could easily be sold in Barnes and Nobel as it is very professional and could possibly appeal to more than just us geeks!

The book is disgustingly cool...even in french!!! As for the english version, yes there are problems. They need it to be translated and then published which will cost lots of dough and no one has stepped up so far. Its really only about 5,000 dollars or so to do the translation but then you have to publish it, and well, thats the problem. I hope they do though because it is sick. Its something that could easily be sold in Barnes and Nobel as it is very professional and could possibly appeal to more than just us geeks!

I need to bug Jeremie about my copy of the French book (that I gave him cash for in August, and he was going to mail to me once he got back to France). So far, no sign of it.

I took a trip to Michael's yesterday. Their selection of brushes was sucky, of course, but I picked up a couple other things that I hope will help. The first was a bottle of flow improver for acrylics. It wasn't cheap, but it says to mix it one part flow improver to 20 parts water, so it should last me a while. The second thing I bought was a small bottle of Pink Soap. I will definitely take the advice of buying a good sable brush or two, and I want to keep them in good shape.

Michaels, at least around here, tends to seperate their 'craft painting' from 'artist supplies'. So be sure to ask them where they keep the GOOD brushes and paint; they were clear accross the store at one location. I found some actual kolinsky sable W&N brushes in the store (the Cirrus line; of course they were sold out =P). They also had some reasonably priced regular sable brushes, syntehtic / sable mix brushes, 'hog hair', 'natural hair', and piles of crappy synthetic brushes. I picked up a sable brush (forgot the make and model) and a synthetic / sable mix (W&N Scepter Gold II series). They were soooo much better than the crappy synthetic brushes I had been using. Did it instantly make me a better painter? Not really; what it did was it just... felt right. You could just feel they were working with you and not against you. Also be sure to take the time and look at the bristles on any you are considering. About 9 out of 10 already had bristles splitting, bent, or splayed out from the ferruel just from abuse being on display. It really paid to take the time and look through them carefully to get one in perfect condition.

These should get me by until Christmas where I hope Santa will be bringing me nice brushes :)

I didn't use any tutorials, I asked y friend shawn to tell me how.

What he told me to do was use three colors, a dark, a medium and a light.

ex- enchanted blue to ultramarine blue on a TK sheild

Start with enchanted blue, paint the top third enchanted ble. Paint the bottom third ultramarine blue. Mix 50/50 of the two and paint the middle section that color. drybrush the bottom part of the other two colors with the 50/50 mix. With a bit of practice, you can get it right.

Like everyone else said, definately don't give up.

I use primarilly GW paints to paint with, and I'm decent at blending.

I would invest in better brushes though. Citadel ones are tough to work with at times. (I use reapers small flat drybrush, and it works great for blending!)

I found some actual kolinsky sable W&N brushes in the store (the Cirrus line; of course they were sold out =P).

The W&N Cirrus brushes are crap.

In addition, I'd go as far as saying I've never seen a 'good' brush in any of the Michael's stores I've been in.

Check your phone books for art supply stores, immediately cross off anything that's a franchised operation. The smaller stores tend to be local stores and will bend over backwards to help you find a brush that suits your needs because the owners/managers/employees tend to be artists themselves.

I found some actual kolinsky sable W&N brushes in the store (the Cirrus line; of course they were sold out =P).

The W&N Cirrus brushes are crap.

In addition, I'd go as far as saying I've never seen a 'good' brush in any of the Michael's stores I've been in.

Good is a relative term.

Compared to the junk they sell for a buck or the packs of like 8 for $5; their 'good' brushes are way better.

My order Miniature-Giant order arrived, with a bunch of minis, some empty squeeze bottles and ....no paintbrush. The invoice says it's supposed to be there, but it's not. I sent an email to their sales department. They don't seem to have a phone number. :angry: :angry:

My order Miniature-Giant order arrived, with a bunch of minis, some empty squeeze bottles and ....no paintbrush. The invoice says it's supposed to be there, but it's not. I sent an email to their sales department. They don't seem to have a phone number. :angry: :angry:

I got my order from them today as well and got everything, so maybe it was a mistake. Everyone's entitled to them at times :) They have been great when I've worked with them so I"m sure it'll work out fine.

I still haven't heard back from Miniature-Giant about my missing brush. Has anyone else had to deal with their customer service to settle a problem? It's all well and good if they give you what you've paid for, but if they don't do anything to help a customer whose order was incomplete, then they don't have very good service, in my opinion.

Even if they do eventually resolve this, if it's not soon, I won't order from them again. And if they don't send me my paintbrush, I may have to take it up with my credit card.

I still haven't heard back from Miniature-Giant about my missing brush. Has anyone else had to deal with their customer service to settle a problem? It's all well and good if they give you what you've paid for, but if they don't do anything to help a customer whose order was incomplete, then they don't have very good service, in my opinion.

Even if they do eventually resolve this, if it's not soon, I won't order from them again. And if they don't send me my paintbrush, I may have to take it up with my credit card.

MG,

Did the number I sent you work/get you to the right folks? I have always had good results with using the site, although I have never had to use the customer service. It is a small scale shop so maybe they had some sort of emergency. Send them another note, maybe the email demons ate it....

Kit C