Straining Washes

DavidVC04

So I have some magic washes that work really well (Kel's Magic Wash, now Didi's Magic Sauce). However, the dropper bottles in which they come don't dispense wash well and dried wash has crusted around the spout.

Subsequently, flakes of wash have fallen into the bottle, so I'd like to strain it and pour into something like the empty RMS bottles.

So I'm wondering how I can strain these. I could use a small kitchen funnel and, I'm thinking, cheese cloth. Do any of you think cheese cloth would work? Does anyone have another idea?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a set of strainer funnels sold at dickblick.com, probably perfect for washes. I bought them to try them out vs. paints, but the paints were too thick and held their surface tension. I'm pretty sure they'd be good for washes... now if I could find them to test the theory out!!!

So I have some magic washes that work really well (Kel's Magic Wash, now Didi's Magic Sauce). However, the dropper bottles in which they come don't dispense wash well and dried wash has crusted around the spout.

Subsequently, flakes of wash have fallen into the bottle, so I'd like to strain it and pour into something like the empty RMS bottles.

So I'm wondering how I can strain these. I could use a small kitchen funnel and, I'm thinking, cheese cloth. Do any of you think cheese cloth would work? Does anyone have another idea?

Try straining it through some old patches of pantyhose. Be sure to double check with the person you're getting the hose from...you've been warned! ::P:

-AW

Cheese cloth might work, just no experience with it.

If I were to do it again, I'd use this stuff in this order:

• Old paint straining netting I've got
  • Old Panty Hose
  • Coffee Filter, but I'd test it with a home-made wash first
  • Old Screen Door Overlapped to get the apertures small enough

Qualities I'd look for:

• Not absorbent
  • Liquids get through, nothing else does
  • Big enough funnel to hold all the bottle
  • Easy setup that I don't have to attend (Once it's poured I can do something else and it'll stay standing up)

Okee... that's my more thorough answer...